“Nice food but the toilets were a let down. ” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Nice food but the toilets were a let down. ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Booked a table here with friends for my husbands birthday as our friends had highly recommended the food. We pre booked a table for 8pm on a Saturday night. As we arrived our first impressions were good it smells lovely as your approaching and the restaurant looks really clean and new. As we entered into smoke they was an handful of people waiting to get a table so on arrival my husband had said to the waitress we have booked a table for 8pm and we was straight in to our table, drinks and mains were ordered pretty fast as not much time was given for us to sit and have a proper look at the menu (which isn't a massive selection anyway but for a bbq restaurant what can you expect) both my husband and our friends ordered the sharing platter and an extra side each and said we would share all the sides so we had some variety as our friends had commented its a very meaty meal with not much else than meat. The meal arrived within 5mins of ordering and looked impressive. The meat itself was really good and cooked really nicely however the sides were a bit of a joke for £3.00 each you kinda expect a little more than a really small jar with 7-8 onion pieces in as they were like onion rings broken up as the jar was too small to fit them in fully. We ended up with 2pieces each which I know it isn't really for sharing between four however based on the quanity of meat you get in your meal I would have thought you would have recieved bigger sides. Once the meal was finished the lady asked if we would like any desserts we said we would like some time to think about it as tbh we felt a little rushed. A little later the lady came back carrying a massive specials board with the desserts on but no price which my husband had commented really it should say all desserts £5.00 anyway I ordered a keylime pie and it was lovely and I did enjoy it. Shortly after we asked for the bill and was ready to leave full and content. Just before leaving I had said I was going to nip to the toilet as did my husband. As we got in the toilet we was a little confused as the walls were bare plaster covered in customer graffiti which im sure some would think how lovely. However I found it really tacky and some of the comments were pretty offensive. "I have a poo between my bum cheeks" not really what I want to think about after having just eaten also some of a sexual nature. My husband had also said in the gents it wasn't much better. Now to the disgusting part... only 1 of the four toilets actually had toilet roll and one of the toilets I went in lets say they didnt flush and was just left floating there. That was a step to far for me. The food was great the atmosphere was good and the eating area was clean. The toilets were such a let down. I know it was a Saturday but toilets should be checked for toilet roll and cleanliness. My husband agreed with me that smoke may think having its customers graffiti over the toilet walls is quirky we actually think it lowers the tone of the place and tbh put a bit of a dampener on the whole experience for me. Would I return? Yes, I would just avoid the toilets.

Bakewell, United Kingdom
“Barbecue at its best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

First visit to Smoke, on recommendation decided to take my family to celebrate my husbands birthday. The food was excellent and the service by Adam was attentive and friendly. Will visit again the meat was to die for and the Long Island iced tea wasn't bad either!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sheffield
“Valentine's treat very impressed! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

After hearing good comments from friends we decided to book a table the day after Valentine's day for a nice meal out and a few drinks. First impressions were great as we walked into the bar area and were warmly greeted and shown straight to our table, even though we were 15 minutes early. We tucked into the savoury popcorn as we decided what to order and ordered drinks which were brough to our table within a minute or two. We ordered the full St.Louis ribs with twice cooked chips and pit beans and the smokey chilli with corn and Jalapeño muffin with a side of slaw. Our food came within 10 minutes and to say how busy it was we thought it'd be a long wait. We were both really impressed by the presentation and portion size of both meals and the smells were amazing. It was lovely fresh tasting food and had loads of flavour thst is something different to same-old American style food. Our bill came to £37 for both meals and a soft drink each which was such a bargin for the food we were served. We would definitely recommend this place to our family and friends as the staff, atmosphere and the tasty food will definitely bring us back here!!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“All Round Average!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

First Visit to Smoke BBQ. Was impressed by decor and laid back atmosphere. The 2 pint jug of beer went down a treat as it was very tasty and refreshing. I had the Chilli cheese burger which was a nice meaty burger but lacked taste to the chilli and general dressing. The chips however were yum. My Partner had the hot link sausage pit plate with the string onions as a side but they definitely weren't the best we've tried they tasted more like an onion bhaji. The hot link sausages were nice but nothing to boast about. Will try again but possibly try the sharer plate which has a variety of meats. Would recommend Smoke to invest in some hot sauce(Buffalo hot sauce) as these would go perfect with the twice baked chips and meats.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Worksop, United Kingdom
“Fairly expensive - mixed experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Saturday lunch. The place wasn't initially busy but got busier as we were inside.

So, let's start with the smell. Very, very appetising! Lovely.
Drinks - I'm a beer drinker. They offer a small selection of esoteric beers at high prices. Too high. And I'm far too often highly dismayed at the prices many places charge for soft drinks. No exception here. Profit is fine. Profiteer isn't. I'll have tap water then.
Food 1: Baby Back Ribs. Nice taste and a reasonable amount of meat (far better in that respect than a similar but far more disappointing establishment in Leeds). But not anywhere near tender enough. Far too much effort needed to extract meat from bone. I know the "excuse" here is that the smoking method doesn't give the same fall-off-the-bone texture as other (less traditional in fact) cooking methods and I fully concede that is a valid point. However I have had Baby Backs cooked - (a) from scratch on a BBQ, with woodsmoke, and (b) from scratch in the oven at home - both of which with a far better texture than these. I'd say it's a significant area for improvement. Perhaps marinading (or a different marinade if that's already done) or a different meat supplier? I don't know which.
Food 2: Brisket. Delicious and tender. Large portion, too.
Food 3: Twice Cooked Chips. We liked them
Food 4: Slaw. I probably wouldn't have this again. Red Cabbage with a hint of something like apple, and dressed in a small amount of vinegar.
Food 5: Banoffee Dessert. Now this excelled. For a fiver, it wanted to. But it certainly came across as having been freshly assembled, with real whipped cream on it and good fresh banana inside. Very unlike the garbage served in many chains (often for more money).
Finally - a pot of tea for two. A tin tea pot and tin mugs. Not to everyone's taste I guess but I was entirely happy with it. And this was NOT expensive.

One last thing - I think, if it were mine, I'd decorate the toilets - and not with felt-tip pen. It's not endearing the way it is.

In summary - not the best BBQ food I have ever had; neither was it cheap. Whilst I'd not object to returning if I had good cause to do so, I probably wouldn't choose this place again. If they can get those ribs coming out a lot easier to deal with (without boiling them!) then I might consider it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere