“Expected better” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #46 of 1,161 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Takeout
Description: Sheffield City Centre's only authentic South Indian Restaurant where the food is freshly cooked on order. Enjoy the taste of succulent chicken, quail, lamb, fish ,prawns, calamari & egg dishes cooked in distinctive South Indian spices. Flavoursome vegetable dishes for those who love their veggies! Try delectable paper thin Dosas & Vadas (savoury doughnuts) drenched in South Indian style Chutneys & tangy Sambar. NOT UK's typical curry house fare! Find us on Glossop Rd ( end of West Street, at Sheffield Baths , Swim Inn Building ). Fully licensed Restaurant & Bar with a TAKE AWAY SERVICE too .Can cater for private events at home or other venues.
“Expected better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

After reading the reviews and taking them on board. I was expecting to be blown away with the spices, flavours, texture etc of the food, I understand it states "not a typical Indian" and I was looking forward to trying a different style of Indian cooking. I am by no means an expert on flavours however after eating in various asian households as part of my job and sampling home cooked versions of what we consider typical Indian cuisine, I was expecting better.

Would I go back? possibly.
Service was nice and polite
Not great value for money to be honest

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, Sheffield, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Sincere apologies that the cuisine has not matched up to food you've eaten in Asian households in your professional capacity. We must explain that Indian cuisine is extremely varied , with immense contrasts in flavour & ingredients depending on the region , religion and geographical location . Thus it can be gently flavoured or richly spiced according to it's place of origin. Now, the UK 's typical Indian restaurant fare is representative of food from certain parts of North India only . We would love to have you over another time & try to convince you that South Indian food can also be equally delicious.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Poorest of the South Indian Sheffield restaurants”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Went here to try it out after the rebranding to Maveli after a bad dinner here when it was Tamarind (I hasten to add that the owners may well have changed, just the propensity for Indian restaurants in Sheffield to change their name to get rid of previous reviews always makes me cautious!).

I had fried cauliflower and my wife fried green banana for starter whilst we had fish curry with rice and a veggie dosa respectively for main.

This review is purely in comparison to the other niche south Indian/sri lankan restaurants in Sheffield, being Urban Choola, Dhanistha's (now Arusuvai ) and East West. If you are looking for "traditional British" curry, this isn't it.

In comparison to those particular restaurants we found the portion sizes small and food quite bland. In our experience the other restaurants give a better experience of the flavours you can find in a good south Indian curry.

In addition to the food, the beer selection wasn't that interesting.

We ended our evening at home with a couple of packets of noodles as were still hungry!

We regret you did not enjoy your visit to Maveli. Our sincere apologies about the portion sizes, we have already spoken to our chef about your problem & it will not happen again.
Maveli has nothing to do with any previous restaurants that existed on the same premise, (excluding only the decor ). It's a South Indian restaurant serving only genuine, simple South Indian cuisine, predominantly from the regions of Tamil Nadu & Kerala. ( And we must stress on this point). With due respect to the restaurants you mention , our food is neither influenced from India's neighbouring countries , nor is it tweaked from North Indian food. Keralan food is extremely mildly spiced & does not bear comparison to the heavy, pungent spices that the UK normally associates with Indian food. Regarding the beer, there are 3 types on Beer on the Drinks Menu - King Fisher Indian Premium Draught on offer ; a European bottled beer (Becks ) & a strong, double fermented beer - King Cobra .Apologies once more, we really hope you give us another chance to make amends for this visit .
“Small portions”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Whilst the flavours of the curries we had were good, the portions were very small. Considering the rice was £3 I would expect there to be enough to go with the sauce. There were probably no more than 6 chunks of the mutton either. Spending £30 and going away hungry is not great practice. Will not be going back.

Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, Sheffield, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Sincere apologies about the Mutton & Rice . We have spoken to our Chef about your experience with the mutton & we reassure you it will not be repeated . Thank you for letting us know about the rice , we are definitely planning to sort it out in the near future . As you may have noticed from our reviews , Maveli is consistently mentioned as a restaurant with value for money ! We hope you visit us again & we promise to do better next time.
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I visited the restaurant twice during the summer. Both nights were unforgettable. A huge variety of flavours, colours, textures. Even simple breads smelled fantastic. I tried a few curries with my friend, I should say which one was my favourite but since all three were just splendid, I couldn't really decide. The ones we ordered, and loved from the first bite, were: Chettinad chicken (spicy but not too hot, very interesting), Fish molee (delicate and little sweet, based on coconut milk) and Keerai kootu (mild lentil curry, made me think I could become a vegeterian one day). We also tried some coconut rice (I wish I could make one like that), pulao rice and some appams (delicious rice pancakes, so light you would never think they were made from rice). We shared a dosa for the starter and I needn't stress that it was a very good choice.

We loved the atmosphere, how the staff cared about us and knew that we needed something even before we could realise that. Overall? After visiting Maveli Restaurant, I can't even think about eating ready-made curries from Tesco and I started cooking by myself so that ithe food at least partially resembles the amount of delicious information coming from each bite, each drop of gravy you can find at Maveli's.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so much for your kind words . We are delighted you enjoyed your food - The spicy Tamilan based dishes ( Chicken Chettinad & Keerai Kootu ) as well as the mild Fish Molee & Appams of Kerala . Cooking your own curry is certainly a different experience from making something out of a jar . We are truly happy that a meal at Maveli has encouraged it ! Look forward to seeing you again .
“A refreshing change”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I booked Maveli because of the reviews I had read on trip advisor and wasn't disappointed. We had a really enjoyable meal in pleasant surroundings. We needed help with our meal selections as we hadn't eaten in a South Indian restaurant before and were given friendly advice. The food was light and fresh, good quality and not expensive. It was our first visit, but won't be the last.

Visited October 2013
Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, Sheffield, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thanks for the kind remarks . We are so pleased everyone had a great time at Maveli . We are especially happy that our staff explained the unfamiliar dishes ! Hope to see you again soon at Maveli.