“Gorgeous” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #46 of 1,161 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Takeout
Description: Sheffield City Centre's only authentic South Indian Restaurant where the food is freshly cooked on order. Enjoy the taste of succulent chicken, quail, lamb, fish ,prawns, calamari & egg dishes cooked in distinctive South Indian spices. Flavoursome vegetable dishes for those who love their veggies! Try delectable paper thin Dosas & Vadas (savoury doughnuts) drenched in South Indian style Chutneys & tangy Sambar. NOT UK's typical curry house fare! Find us on Glossop Rd ( end of West Street, at Sheffield Baths , Swim Inn Building ). Fully licensed Restaurant & Bar with a TAKE AWAY SERVICE too .Can cater for private events at home or other venues.
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I visited the restaurant twice during the summer. Both nights were unforgettable. A huge variety of flavours, colours, textures. Even simple breads smelled fantastic. I tried a few curries with my friend, I should say which one was my favourite but since all three were just splendid, I couldn't really decide. The ones we ordered, and loved from the first bite, were: Chettinad chicken (spicy but not too hot, very interesting), Fish molee (delicate and little sweet, based on coconut milk) and Keerai kootu (mild lentil curry, made me think I could become a vegeterian one day). We also tried some coconut rice (I wish I could make one like that), pulao rice and some appams (delicious rice pancakes, so light you would never think they were made from rice). We shared a dosa for the starter and I needn't stress that it was a very good choice.

We loved the atmosphere, how the staff cared about us and knew that we needed something even before we could realise that. Overall? After visiting Maveli Restaurant, I can't even think about eating ready-made curries from Tesco and I started cooking by myself so that ithe food at least partially resembles the amount of delicious information coming from each bite, each drop of gravy you can find at Maveli's.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, Sheffield, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words . We are delighted you enjoyed your food - The spicy Tamilan based dishes ( Chicken Chettinad & Keerai Kootu ) as well as the mild Fish Molee & Appams of Kerala . Cooking your own curry is certainly a different experience from making something out of a jar . We are truly happy that a meal at Maveli has encouraged it ! Look forward to seeing you again .

“A refreshing change”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I booked Maveli because of the reviews I had read on trip advisor and wasn't disappointed. We had a really enjoyable meal in pleasant surroundings. We needed help with our meal selections as we hadn't eaten in a South Indian restaurant before and were given friendly advice. The food was light and fresh, good quality and not expensive. It was our first visit, but won't be the last.

Visited October 2013
Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, Sheffield, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thanks for the kind remarks . We are so pleased everyone had a great time at Maveli . We are especially happy that our staff explained the unfamiliar dishes ! Hope to see you again soon at Maveli.
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I went on a Thursday night and the restaurant was full of people enjoying themselves - a really lively atmosphere. The staff were attentive and the food and drinks were delicious. We both had recommendations; the Kovalam Meen Kolambu - the fish was perfectly cooked and the sauce with it was lovely. I can't remember the name of mine now but it was very very good! All in all, definitely a place you should try!

Visited October 2013
Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, Sheffield, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words . We are delighted you liked the food ...especially the Kovalam Meen Kolambu ! Hope to see you again at Maveli.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Amazing South Indian Food !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I must say I have had the best South Indian food in the North England in ages and I am happy that they are here in Sheffield that too in the town centre. The prices are reasonable and the quality of the food is great. The staff are nice, has lovely environment and ambiance. Most of all the place looks very clean.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
We are delighted you enjoyed your time at Maveli . We are especially happy you liked your meal and the ambience of the restaurant . Thanks for writing in about us .Look forward to having you again at Maveli.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“The diversity of India!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

All the little dances performed by my taste buds brought on by the clever use of spices in my fish curry is well remembered 3 weeks later.
Fantastic South Indian Restaurant must return soon to try the comprehensive menu!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, Sheffield, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thanks for your kind & encouraging words ! We shall definitely tell our chef of your kind words about his Fish Curry. We look forward to seeing you again at Maveli .