“As good as Amigos? Very nearly!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
Sheffield
“As good as Amigos? Very nearly!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

As a big fan of Amigos, I was very keen to try this place, run by the same people and inhabiting the site of the old Amigos. It has been open for a couple of weeks now, and I went there at about 6pm, a few days after Easter. It was pretty quiet, but nicely decorated, with 5 or 6 tables.

We started with gol guppa - these are little crispy bread bubbles, filled with a blob of chick pea curry and they come with a jug of mild mint sauce, plus a few dips. The combination is delicious. We also had samosa ragda chaat - squashed vegetable samosa with coriander and mint salad. This tasted much better than the description would suggest!

I then had a lamb karahi thali, with a few dhals and salads but, disappointingly, nothing sweet (thalis I have had elsewhere have been complete meals on a plate). This was pretty good, with a nice spicy karahi, and was large enough not to have required a starter. At £9.50, this is good value. The little lady had a potato masala dhosa. The dhosa was not as crisp as we have had elsewhere and we mentioned this to the waiter. This brought the chef out, who told us about the problems he was having getting the lentil and rice dough to ferment properly! Anyhow, it still tasted good and the filling was very nice, with a real kick. They will tone down spicing for the delicate of taste, apparently, but for me it was about right.

We had a couple of lassis (the mango was good but my salt lassi could have had more oomph) but absolutely no room for dessert. The bill was £26 for two, but would have been less without my unnecessary starter! Another couple were having kathi rolls which looked like a pretty filling tea, £6 a piece. Urban Choola don't deliver yet but they hope to start soon.

Urban Choola has some unique dishes but it also does some standard curries, so it should appeal to the less adventurous as well. I will definitely be going again (bhel puri and one of those kebabs = yum!).

• Visited April 2013