“Friday Evening by candle light” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #173 of 1,040 restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: English, French, British, Café
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Little Mesters Sheffield is located in the heart of Kelham Island, Little Mesters offers seasonal, locally sourced, freshly made food. We are proud to be working in partnership with Sheffield Museums Industrial Trust to bring Sheffield a cafe & bistro with a difference. We have an exciting fresh cafe menu serving everything from freshly brewed coffee and cakes to our fabulous home made burgers and traditional Sunday lunches. Our bistro nights bring fine dining to Kelham Island, with an ever changing seasonal menu to tantaslise your tastebuds. We also offer the perfect setting for your private event, whether it be a children's party, wedding or business meeting. Little Mesters also offer an outside catering service so if your looking for an outside caterer to cater for your event at an alternative venue then look no further. From buffets to BBQ's. Hog Roasts to a la carte fine dining, we have a menu to suit every type of event.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Friday Evening by candle light”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The weather outside was foul, dark raining and windy, but inside was welcoming , cosy with subdued lighting.
This is our first evening event at the Little Mester and well worth it.
The tables were set out mainly in pairs with white clothes and neat cutlery .
The wine menu was offered first, followed by the multiple choice food menu. For the first time every after so much on the TV I chose scallops on mushroom with a cauliflower purée. Although the mushrooms were watery the first course was very pleasant. For main I ordered Duck breast with a rhubarb purée and what appeared to be a lot of various nuts( walnuts etc). Sue chose sea bass. Both mains were excellent taste wise and presentation. One thing I liked was that the waiter wore gloves when serving. A small but interesting note.
For sweet I stuck with cheese, boring you might say but tasty.

Overall the evening was great only affected by an ignorant group of four who knew someone else in the restaurant and proceeded to chat with the whilst hovering over our table. Some people.

We will be going against and I easily recommend it to anyone.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
littlemesters, Owner at Little Mesters Cafe and Bistro, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Mr & Mrs Vintin

Thank you for taking the time to review Little Mesters and for your kind comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your evening and can only apologise for any inconvenience caused by other diners. We hope to be able to welcome you back to Little Mesters in the near future.

Nicola & David

77% Recommend
“Excellent Birthday Bash”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Although they don't normally open on Wednesday evenings Little Mesters took our booking for 12 people. We had visited once before and enjoyed it so much we decided to return for my birthday celebration. It was just as enjoyable second time round. Everyone commented on the good choice of menu and the quality of the food and service which was so friendly and helpful.
The restaurant is on the Kelham Island complex.
It can be tricky to find if you are not sure where you are going and such a pity that the city council won't allow them to put any directional information anywhere other than on museum property.
An unfortunate and short sighted decision when nationally the government is trying to encourage new businesses to thrive.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Second visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My fiance and I visited Little Mesters for the second time this weekend - we previously had a voucher, however enjoyed it so much we decided to visit again.

Overall, we enjoyed the experience hence the rating given, however there were some points which we felt let it down slightly.

The starters were lovely and tasty, however there was a hair in one of the dishes. I do not think this is a common thing and for that reason I didn't bring this to anyones attention as it can be embarassing for staff although on reflection maybe I should have. We still very much enjoyed the starters, yorkshire puddings which are delicious and mains.

The other little points I felt were a little disappointing were the fact that staff did not ask if we wanted any sauces etc with our meals e.g apple sauce and when we asked for a specific sauce they did not have it.

At the end of the meal when i asked for the bill, they had only charged us £11! (The meal actually came to £39). I explained this to the staff as I am an honest person and they explained that they had thought we had a voucher and we could have quite easily gotten away with it! They thanked us but they didn't knock anything off the bill etc. which I thought they might as I then felt I had given them an extra £28 which they didn't realise we owed!!

That said, we still really thoroughly enjoyed our meal and generally speaking, food and service were good and we would visit again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to review Little Mesters and I can only apologise for the shortfalls you have experienced. As you will be aware from your previous visits this is not our usual standard and as such I can only hope that you will choose to return. With regards to your comment about the hair on the starter, again I can only apologise and wish that you had told us on the day so that your meal could have been replaced. I understand that you asked for cranberry sauce- this is something which we are rarely asked for expect at Christmas and so it isn't something we stock as standard so again I can only apologise. I am glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your meal and hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Nicola & David Briggs
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Food and value were very good. I think the staff let the place down. They were very rude, I won't be going again.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
littlemesters, Owner at Little Mesters Cafe and Bistro, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Jen

Thank you for taking the time to review Little Mesters. I am pleased you enjoyed your meal but I am shocked by your comments regarding our staff. As you will see from the previous reviews we get nothing but praise for our staff and the level of service we provide our guests with. I would be most grateful if you could take a few moments to drop me an email littlemesterssheffield@gmail.com to expand upon your comments and experience so I am able to address this with our staff. I would also appreciate you letting me know when you visited us so I can speak with the appropriate staff, as I can not think of anyone who I would describe as rude.

Many thanks

Nicola Briggs
Owner
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Best Sunday lunch ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Bought a voucher for this restaurant, and upon arrival it just looked like an ordinary cafe so didn't really expect much. However, we were pleasantly surprised. We had a 2 course Sunday lunch and the first course was Crayfish Salad which was served with smoked salmon sandwich. Very nice.

Secondly we were served the pre-main which was yorkshire puddings and gravy. These were fluffy and tasty.

But the star of the show was the pork lunch I had, complete with roast potatoes, creamed leeks. It all tasted fantastic.

I look forward to returning soon!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your kind comments- we are so pleased you enjoyed your visit and hope to welcome you back to Little Mesters in the near future

Nicola & David