“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #174 of 1,042 restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: English, French, British, Café
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Little Mesters Sheffield is located in the heart of Kelham Island, Little Mesters offers seasonal, locally sourced, freshly made food. We are proud to be working in partnership with Sheffield Museums Industrial Trust to bring Sheffield a cafe & bistro with a difference. We have an exciting fresh cafe menu serving everything from freshly brewed coffee and cakes to our fabulous home made burgers and traditional Sunday lunches. Our bistro nights bring fine dining to Kelham Island, with an ever changing seasonal menu to tantaslise your tastebuds. We also offer the perfect setting for your private event, whether it be a children's party, wedding or business meeting. Little Mesters also offer an outside catering service so if your looking for an outside caterer to cater for your event at an alternative venue then look no further. From buffets to BBQ's. Hog Roasts to a la carte fine dining, we have a menu to suit every type of event.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Food and value were very good. I think the staff let the place down. They were very rude, I won't be going again.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
littlemesters, Owner at Little Mesters Cafe and Bistro, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Jen

Thank you for taking the time to review Little Mesters. I am pleased you enjoyed your meal but I am shocked by your comments regarding our staff. As you will see from the previous reviews we get nothing but praise for our staff and the level of service we provide our guests with. I would be most grateful if you could take a few moments to drop me an email littlemesterssheffield@gmail.com to expand upon your comments and experience so I am able to address this with our staff. I would also appreciate you letting me know when you visited us so I can speak with the appropriate staff, as I can not think of anyone who I would describe as rude.

Many thanks

Nicola Briggs
Owner

77% Recommend
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Best Sunday lunch ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Bought a voucher for this restaurant, and upon arrival it just looked like an ordinary cafe so didn't really expect much. However, we were pleasantly surprised. We had a 2 course Sunday lunch and the first course was Crayfish Salad which was served with smoked salmon sandwich. Very nice.

Secondly we were served the pre-main which was yorkshire puddings and gravy. These were fluffy and tasty.

But the star of the show was the pork lunch I had, complete with roast potatoes, creamed leeks. It all tasted fantastic.

I look forward to returning soon!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your kind comments- we are so pleased you enjoyed your visit and hope to welcome you back to Little Mesters in the near future

Nicola & David
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“family day fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I recently visited the Kelham Island Museum and called in Little Mesters for some lunch, didn't really expect much from a little hidden away café but it was great! food was lovely, good value, it was family friendly, high chairs etc and the staff couldn't do enough for us, would highly recommend a visit. I will be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
littlemesters, Owner at Little Mesters Cafe and Bistro, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments, we are delighted you enjoyed your visit to Little Mesters and will hopefully look forward to seeing you and your family again soon

Nicola & David
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Not as good as our first visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We first went to Little Mesters a few weeks ago, to a Bistro evening, and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. However, our second visit today for Sunday lunch was a little disappointing. The starters (crayfish salad and garlic mushroom bruschetta) were excellent, but the main courses were not as good as we expected. The Yorkshire Puddings were served in the traditional manner, ie before the main course, but we actually prefer it with the main meal. I was told the beef would be served pink, but it was a little too rare for my liking and was rather chewy. Also, our new potatoes and parsnips were hard. On reflection, I perhaps should have brought this to the attention of the staff and it could have been rectified. However, the service, as last time, was impeccable and the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear Susan

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Little Mesters on one of our bistro evenings but of course are disappointed that you didn't enjoy your main course on Sunday lunch.

As you said yourself if we had have been made aware you weren't happy then we could have rectified it. We always advise our guests that the beef is cooked rare as we are aware that some people don't like it, and we are always accommodating in cooking beef further for those who ask.

We have chosen to serve our Yorkshire puddings as an intermediate course and this is one thing that we always get excellent feedback on, so we can only apologise if you didn't enjoy it been served this way.

The veg served is always cooked on the al dente, but again as with the meat we could have cooked you some a little more had you made us aware.

Thank you for your comments about our staff- we pride ourselves on the service so are pleased you found this to be of the same standard as your first visit.

thank you once again for your comments and we hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Nicola & David Briggs
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food Excellent Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Me and my sister had a three course meal at the Little Mesters Cafer and Bistro on 17th August. The waiting staff were fantastic, we were seated straight away, no waiting for food, we made a point of advising them this at the end of the evening and how we thought the service was 1st class. I had the Asparagus starter, Wood Pigeon main and Chocolate and Orange Cylinder for dessert. All very tasty and the attention to detail was second to none. Fantastic little gem and worth a visit very soon. Will definitely be returning. Keep up the good work :-)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
littlemesters, Owner at Little Mesters Cafe and Bistro, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Fraulina

We are really happy that you and your sister enjoyed yourselves on one of our bistro evenings.

Again it is really nice when the staff get praise from our guests. Both Nicola and I are very proud of the teams that we have both at Little Mesters and our new venue The School Rooms at Bradfield.

Hope to see you both again soon

Yours sincerely