“Gorgeous food, good service, abit pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous food, good service, abit pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

The restaurant was really quiet, even at 6:30pm on a friday evening which my partner and I thought was slightly odd and we were abit worried that there was a reason behind it!

However, we were proved wrong! The service was good, every person who served us was very friendly and happy, we felt looked after. The food was beautiful - I had the grilled salmon and my partner had a club sandwhich and they were delicious.

However, our bill was fairly expensive and the 10% service charge was added without us knowing...The only reason we found out was when I saw lots of people on tripadvisor commenting on this issue, so we checked our receipt! I think this is cheeky, I really think they need to tell customers about the extra charge!

Otherwise, I couldn't fault it and would definitely return!

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“First and last time!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

The food was ok albeit expensive for the small amout you get, the drink prices are a joke, £5.80 for a small wine (£6.38 if you include the service charge which is automatically added to the bill!), the music was way too loud although the waitress did notice and turn it down after a while. I guess it turned out the restaraunt was very quiet on a saturday night for a reason.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
sheffield
“10% Service Charge ?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

So the food was ' good ' a few raw fries but literally a few. The prices are steep for what you get , so onto the experience....... to he honest if the ' service ' for 2 adults and 2 children was ...great , then as an adult I would choose to leave a tip myself....I would not expect to see a service charge automatically added to my Bill. Giraffe , you are having a laugh , this has put my family off from returning, and before you reply saying that it is an optional gratuity , perhaps in that case it should be the customers option to reward the service, not the restaurants to add to bill before tender...?

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bridlington, United Kingdom
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stopped here for lunch today and enjoyed a great meal, fresh and tasty.

Place was clean and comfortable and the menu had plenty of choice. Only thing I wasn't happy with is that the staff added a small service charge onto the bill (10%) - I would happily have tipped anyway and it would have been about the same (possibly a little more) but it would have been nice to have the choice, not have them sneak it on without mentioning it.

It wasn't all that busy when we ate and I thought the service was a little slow but since the food was so good, and obviously cooked freshly, I didn't mind so much.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
York
“Exceeded all expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Unusually, I hadn't read TA as it seemed irrelevant to a captive audience eatery in a shopping centre like Meadowhall. I suppose I was expecting the same very average fayre that you endure at service stations & many (but not all!) airports. Giraffe, however, is far better than this. We chose it solely on liking the look of the menu and the fact that it was reasonably busy.
We ordered a chicken Caesar salad & their duck noodle stir fry. Having been disappointed too many times, we specifically requested that there was plenty of meat on both meals offering to pay extra if necessary. Unfortunately, when my stir fry arrived it was lukewarm but that was quickly remedied & returned very quickly piping hot (not microwaved but simply refried for a short time). Both dishes were superb with ample duck for me and - if anything - too much chicken for Lady M. Disregarding the blip of mine being served a little on the cool side, the meal was simply faultless. The extra meat was charged at £1.70 each & we had no qualms about being charged this very fair surcharge.
I must comment on our server. We sat at a table right next to Ed's Diner & were served by a slip of a blonde girl who looked maybe nineteen (but, I admit could have been a couple or so years older). We were relatively specific with her when ordering and, I suppose, a bit of a pain in the proverbial compared to most diners who will simply order whatever the menu offers. She responded to our requests in a totally professional & confident manner despite her somewhat young years. All in all, she was probably the best waitress to have served us in a very long time. Either she is exceptional by her own merit or Giraffe's staff training is exceptional - or both!
I have just read another reviewer's comments on the 10% optional gratuity added to the bottom of the bill and would comment that I also disagree with this assumption that people may want to pay this. In this instance, I paid it and our excellent waitress did specifically point out that it was added as I hadn't brought my glasses so struggled to read the bill. Had it not been added, however, I would have rounded the bill upwards to reward such excellent service & fine food and this would have added nearer 17% to the bill.
All in all, and based solely on my one visit here plus listening to those dining closely to me, I must award top marks.

Visited September 2013