“It's the way you deal with the bad days that counts” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #138 of 1,078 Restaurants in Sheffield
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Barbecue, Turkish, Middle Eastern
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Turkuaz Bar & Grill is a welcoming open plan restaurant, serving traditional Turkish meals cooked on an open grill. It also boasts a separate bar/lounge area with 2 pool tables, football table, bandits, a big screen TV and upstairs smoking area.
sheffield
“It's the way you deal with the bad days that counts”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our evening was a disaster. Nearly everything that could go wrong went wrong.

But we'll go to Turkuaz again.

What? Have I, like the Englishman of empire days, been out in the midday sun without my tropical pith helmet and gone doolally? Or been at the hubble bubble pipe too much?

Neither of these. But first allow me to enlarge on our experience. The restaurant is pleasant enough, and the assortment of starters we shared between four was unusual and very tasty.
It set us in keen anticipation of what was to come.

Except that it didn't come. The main course, I mean. After an hour's waiting, we and another couple who'd obviously endured the same experience, had had enough. The other couple left. We stayed on the assurance that our meals would be there in ten minutes.

And they were. But our troubles were not over. My wife took one bite of the chargrilled sea bream and pronounced it raw in the middle. We got up to leave.

Now there are some restaurateurs who would not have cared about our ruined evening. There are still others who would try to make light of it and palm us off with a free dessert or glass of raki, which would have incensed us further.

As it was, the management and staff immediately owned up and accepted full responsibility straight away, and were genuinely apologetic. I received the distinct impression that ours was not a typical experience. One shamefaced member of staff summed it up; "I can't even look you in the eye" she said. The manager waived the entire bill.

If criticism of restaurants is to mean anything, it is surely that the owner should grasp it as a chance to put things right. Anyone can handle a restaurant full of happy diners. It's a measure of the place how customers are treated when they're not happy. It's also a measure of how much the restaurant cares.

Turkuaz deserves another chance in my view. I'll report back in a month.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Turkuaz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The food and service was excellent. I highly recommend the food as it was delicious and the interior was nice too. The bill was reasonable too as I took all my family and I got 20% discount as I am a council employee. Will definitely be going again. If you want quality turkish food at a reasonable price and in a warm and friendly atmosphere, then Turkuaz is the place to go!- Asim Munir

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

So fresh and gorgeous atmosphere. Never been before but really really loved it the food was great and i can't wait to go again!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dronfield, United Kingdom
“Great new Turkish restaurant. Knocks spots off competition!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Went for a late lunch mid-week on a Groupon voucher.
Restaurant was empty, but this was not necessarily a bad thing - it was after all 2pm on a Wed afternoon and the restaurant has only been open a month.
We were greeted by a very friendly female, and waited on by Manager Sonny who was polite, professional and friendly.
The restaurant is spacious, clean, nicely decorated, bright and inviting. The WCs were clean and smart.
Our voucher entitled us to a selection of the 'meze' starters, all in all for 2 of us we had 6 cold and 4 hot starters - more than enough for us! A quick peruse of the rest of the menu and we were quickly spotting things for the next visit. Highlights included olives, sucuk sausage, calamari, bread. Perhaps my personal taste, but I would have liked more flavour in the humous, but that's really pushing it for me to come up with anything that needs improvement with the food.

We are BIG fans of Zeugma 1&2 nearby, and were sceptical that Turkuaz could match them. I'd say the food was as good if not a bit better than Zeugma, the service knocks spots of them and the venue itself was much cleaner and modern. However, as it was so quiet, I don't think the atmosphere was as good, but that will change with time. Price-wise I think there isn't much between them.

Would highly recommend and will definitely come again! Seem to be kiddy friendly, so will bring child next time.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
yorkshire
“Turkuaz - new Turkish restaurant in Sheffield”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

An excellent addition to Sheffield's cosmopolitan eating scene on London Road. Only open about three weeks when we went in August 2012. I love Turkish food, having worked in Northern Cyprus, and we really enjoyed this. We had just a post-work main course and glass of wine each - total bill, just £24. Delicious. Very warm welcome, excellent service, very tasty quality food, clearly with good ingredients, in a spacious, light and airy environment (big windows over London Road). To find it: it's above the Ozmen supermarket, roughly opposite the Cremorne pub - if you're using satnav, enter 178-184 London Road, Sheffield S2 4LT.

• Visited August 2012