“Hearty, filling pub grub” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #89 of 1,116 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: At the Broadfield we are honest. We take pride in who we are, where we are, what we do, the food we make and the drinks we serve. There’s no fuss, no fancy, just a truly authentic Yorkshire pub.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Hearty, filling pub grub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We regularly go to the Broadfield and have sampled just about everything on the menu. Although the menu is rather small, it is always a challenge choosing what to order as the food is that good! A few of my favourites are the ham hock (which really is huge for £9.50) and the delicious shortcrust pies with fat homemade chips which are around £7.50 I believe. Great prices for whopper portions. Consistently good service here as always with a great variety of local and worldwide ales (I recommend the produce of Bradfield brewery).
Great atmosphere as well in a warming environment. One of the best pub-eateries in Sheffield.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Very good pub, good service - home cooked food - had sausages and mash with fresh veg - only downfall is the mash was quite dry. Well priced.

Visited May 2013
sheffield
“Great local to treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Brilliant local that has a well deserved loyal following. Great atmosphere and fab drinks list with great by the glass wine too. The garden is large and lovely and protected with high walls so great for a few in the afternoon on a sunny day. Food is high quality rustic English, lots of slow cook ham hock , pies, sausages etc. really good quality, and honest, but not always my bag so would be great if they had a couple of lighter options on menu for summer. We love that we have this place on our doorstep. Long may it last

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
sheffield
“Mating Rituals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Let's start with the negative. The barman (barlad actually) addressed me as "mate". Twice.

Now over the years I've been hailed in every way from 'Dude' to 'Maharani' - the latter in India, the former in Barnsley. But if there's one that really gets my goat, it's 'mate', particularly when uttered by a youth to whom shaving is a novel experience.

I have developed a theory on this particular matter. Never have I been greeted by the M-word while wearing a suit. Equally it's never happened when I've strolled into the pub unashamed in my gardening togs, including jeans with rips acquired in the name of toil rather than fashion statement.

No, it only ever occurs when I'm smart-casual as indeed I was that day. It must be something to do with such a fashion statement causing uncertainty on the part of the beholder, who reasons that 'sir' is laying it on too thick and 'luv' is too trite. So mate it is. Deduct one point. Let that be a lesson.

Anyway, as for the rest of it... an excellent lunch. First-rate veggie choices, among them my chickpea and mint burger, delicious and well-cooked, served on real bread with truly scrummy thick-cut chips. Truly a burger-meister among burgers.

Very attentive service too - even from my mate behind the bar who insisted I return to my meal while he fetched my drink over.

Having first entered its doors 30 years ago when it was a Bohemian boozer, it's astonishing to see the transformation to top-drawer foodie pub. Love it. And the pies are great too.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Midrand, South Africa
“Wonderful pub grub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Visiting Yorkshire has been quite an eye opener and no place more so than the Broadfield. Friends took me there and as we approached it I thought 'good grief' as the door was occupied by rather large men with pot bellies all smoking. However inside it appeared most people were either students or 'urban professionals'.
We all plumped for pies, as the place is famous for them, and some of the best chips I have ever eaten. I'd like to tell you more about the food but I got carried away with trying the range of beers they had for sale, I think I got more than a bit carried away but my excuse is that home we have only the golden lager type beers while here there was a range far wider.
I do recall having rice pud...walking through the cigarette haze to get in was worth it just for the rice pud.
Well worth going to...but managers should do something about our initial impression of the place, I suspect others wouldn't come in!

Visited April 2013