“Sort it out” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Sort it out”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I've just come back from holiday and I caught up with my friends my first night back I wonted to go to one of my favourite places to eat revolution de Cuba, so we arrive , there's 5 of us , it's pretty busy. it's Friday night. it takes a while for us to be seated , but we get seated eventually .so we sit and wait,and wait and wait 20min later our drinks order gets taken, already night not looking good. 20odd min later drinks arrive , drinks not too bad but overpriced and very limey any ways we order no matter I ate here before I left for holiday 1 week ago and it was great so I order the same thing , the paella and 3tapas meatballs, mojito prawns and cream mushrooms. We waited 30 mins for food which I thought was too long it didn't seem that busy and the waiter wasn't helpful either when our food arrived most of the food was Luke warm at best my paella was bland and smelt sweet almost lemony the meatballs were tough and also tasteless , the cream mushrooms were nice but had too much oil the best part of the meal for me were the mojito prawns .my friends weren't too impressed with there meals or overall experience either .this was not the same place i loved.well tonight anyway . i got a subway after because i was still hungry.Overall disappointed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Nice food but a long wait.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

After booking a few days in advance we arrived to find that our reservation for 15 people had vanished. The resturant wasn't busy so some tables were pushed together for us. It wasn't ideal though as we had lots of round bar tables put together so some people ended up in gaps with very little table space. We were grateful that we were able to get a table but had it been busy the lost booking would have definitly put a dampener on our night. We had our drinks order taken and all the cocktails looked great that arrived, but it took a long time for our food order to come, and even longer for the food to arrive. I appriciate that we were a large group, but it was still really too long to be waiting. I had a manchego cheese burger with fries and mojito onion rings. All tasty, just a little hard to eat, and by that point I was starving so fiddling round with my food wasnt great. The fries were really nice, with a spicy seasoning which everyone loved. A friend with an onion allergy found lots to eat, and it was reassuring to be told that she could have most things made without onions as it wasnt premade.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Change: Not always for the better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Having previously written a very positive review of this place I was very disappointed to visit last night and find that things had changed somewhat, and sadly not for the better. This was my first visit in a fair few weeks (thanks to having huge amounts of uni work) but having finished, a couple of friends and I visited last night to celebrate.

Not liking huge crowds and also being students) and therefore not having a great deal of money), in the past we got around this by visiting on a Sunday when the place was quieter and all tapas and all cocktails were two for one. This meant that rather than being out of our price range it was just within it, and it has to be said, we loved it. The food was fantastic and the cocktails were amazing, and the selection on both used to be great.

On our visit yesterday however, there were new menus. The number of tapas available seemed to have been cut down with some that we very much liked missing, and only selected cocktails were now available on the two for one offer on a Sunday (I don’t know if this is also the case for happy hour). Unfortunately, many of our favourites were missing from this new Sunday 2-4-1 menu. Bizarrely though, there seemed to be no logic in how the cocktails on the new menu had been selected. It had once been the case that the most expensive cocktails were excluded from the 2-4-1 offer but this was changed a while ago. Now, there are just random ones excluded for seemingly no reason whatsoever.

Whilst the cocktails we had were still good and the food is still great, this was really very disappointing and unfortunately whereas we would have normally spent a whole night in Revolucion de Cuba we decided instead to move on after a couple of drinks. It’s a shame, As a place we have loved and spent a great deal of time in since it opened I can’t help but think that as a result of these changes (specifically the more limited cocktail menu) we won’t visit as often as we once did. I sincerely hope that this decision is reversed in the near future, as the quality of food and drinks remain fantastic, but the selection sadly no longer is.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Tapas was absolutely amazing. All fresh food and great flavours. Great atmosphere- felt like we were on holiday. Tapas and cocktails were on 2 for 1(Sunday). Staff were very friendly but it did take a while to get each round of drinks

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Average food - beef was dry and chewy potatoes were greasy and tasted funny. Not very good tapas. It was cheap though.

Visited April 2013