“Overpriced and not good for veggies” 3 of 5 stars

0114 267 0534
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: European, British, English, Contemporary
“Overpriced and not good for veggies”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

This is a posh looking restaurant which doesn't look like it belongs in crookes! However sadly the atmosphere is lacking, it is way too expensive for the underwhelming food and it's frankly just dull. I ordered a veggie burger thinking it would be some sort of bean/lentil patty, however it came identical to the meat burger except a giant mushroom instead of a burger. Very disappointing!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Gone down the pan”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Been going in for many year,until recently,If your not friends your not that welcome.... haven't visited for many months due to the stale atmosphere when we walk in. The prices are over inflated and unjustified.... what a waste

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Honiara, Solomon Islands
“Really Very Good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

A damp summer Sheffield evening. The blackboard outside said "Tapas Tuesday Come in and join the fun". I looked in but it seemed no-one was taking up the invitation. When I say no-one, I mean it quite literally. There was no-one to be seen. It looked like an opening scene of an edition of The Restaurant Inspector. I wasn't sure why. The restaurant looked alright to me. It was bright, comfortable-looking, pleasantly spacious. I stepped inside tentatively and a pleasant man greeted me and let me choose where ever I wanted to sit. I was spoiled for choice. I was minimally irritated by being asked what I wanted to drink before I was even half way across the room to take my seat at my chosen table. Anyway, I was soon comfortably in place and given the tapas menu and selected an excellent glass of rioja from the wines listed on the big blackboard on the wall behind me. I had some olives and was given the biggest dish of olives I've ever been served with in a restaurant. No complaints there. There was a sensibly sized list of tapas on the menu although I found the eclectic nature of the dishes (Spanish, Thai, British and so on) a little difficult to get my head around. I settled on 3 items from the menu - battered fish fillets, "chorizo bravas" (actually patatas bravas with chorizo) and Thai fishcakes. The chorizo bravas arrived first and were quite satisfactory although some of my chorizo was a little overcooked and slightly burned but there was a generous amount of potatoes which could again have done with being fried for a little shorter time. Next came the battered fish. The Gates of Heaven opened. Four generously-sized pieces of beautifully cooked snow-white fish, presumably cod, in the lightest of batters. A meal composed just of these 4 perfect pieces of fish would have been as good as some meals I've had in higher rated restaurants. They were served with a dip which was fine but the flavour of the fish was so perfect that it would have been a crime to lose it by adding in the dip. The Thai fish cakes arrived and were again very good, made, it appeared, from pure fish - white fish and salmon were detectable - without any obvious amount of carbohydrate to bulk them out. The fish cakes were very tasty but there was no spicy heat to them and I feel that they would have benefitted from a good dose of chilli which would have raised them to be brilliant. I was splendidly full long before the plate of patatas bravas was half-empty but I had consumed a vast number of olives and an amazing amount of fish. The amount of food served made the meal very good value and each dish was served extremely hot, apparently whisked straight from the kitchen the moment it had been plated up. Whilst I was eating, 2 young women had sat at a table and were drinking a glass of wine and, I could hear, were enthusing about the 2 desserts which they were eating. Sadly, no-one else had come in to partake of the Tapas Tuesday fun. I hope the residents of Crookes make more use of this very good restaurant - in my experience there is some rather nice food served there representing good value especially in portion size and all in a pleasant environment. All it needs is people to improve the ambience. Perhaps things are better when the weather is better and later in the week and weekends. I hope so.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Left before eating”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Waiter was taking way too long to get to us so we left and went across the road to the ball.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Our Favourite Restaurant in Sheffield”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I would preface this review by saying that my partner and I are massive foodies, we go out to eat regularly and have been to many of the top rated restaurants in Sheffield, yet we keep coming back to Tom Scott's, both considering it to be our favourite place to eat. I discovered TS about a year and a half ago whilst living in Crookes, when my partner and I popped in for a steak and caramelised onion sandwich. Since then, and as a result of the increasingly delicious meals we have tried, we go back regularly every month or two.

The reason for our love of this place is quite simply the astounding quality of the food. It is very reasonably priced, and the chef is inventive with the ingredients he uses. The menu changes regularly and there are always new and interesting meals on offer. I would consider the food to be mainly gastro pub, with a fusion twist. My partner and I went yesterday afternoon and I was treated to the venison, beetroot and horseradish burger, which was quite simply one of the nicest meat dishes I have had in years. The meat had that melt-in-the-mouth quality that I find to be so rare these days, and I was actually slightly stunned after the first mouthful! I would also recommend the chips here, as they are hands down the best I've ever had, in pure gluttonous Heston Blumenthal-esque triple cooked fashion. The price is also very reasonable with the À la carte menu mains averaging £5 at lunch, and £10 at dinner. They also do an earlybird dinner menu for £7.95 between 5-7:30, however I haven't tried this recently so am unsure as to what it includes. A starter to share, two mains and a glass of wine came to just shy of £30 for my partner and I yesterday, however I would happily have paid more for it given the quality of food (and did so, leaving a hefty tip!)

I would say that the restaurant under-sells itself to a certain extent, as from the outside it may look quite basic, but please do not let that put you off trying the food here. The staff are very friendly, and we have always received excellent service whenever we have been. The management has changed hands recently, however the chef has stayed the same and so the quality of the food has remained consistently delicious. If you are considering going it is important to note that the restaurant is closed (if I remember rightly) on Monday's and Tuesdays after 5:30, I'm not 100% sure on the days so it is definitely worth ringing if you are planning a trip there early in the week.

To conclude, I would -and regularly do- recommend this restaurant to friends, the food is truly delicious, and unlike a few restaurants in Sheffield you won't leave feeling robbed! The atmosphere is pleasant, and the chef has always been happy to accommodate any special requests. I have taken many friends and relatives here, and all occasions have had a lovely time. So go, try the food, recommend it to your friends and please ignore the review below. I was rather shocked by it and do not think it is either a fair or representative view of a restaurant which my partner and I consider to stand-out so much amongst those in Sheffield -in fact it's what prompted me to register for a Tripadvisor account!

• Visited May 2012