“Weekend stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 57 Hotels in Sheffield
London, United Kingdom
“Weekend stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed for two night whilst the tramlines music festival was on. The hotel was in a great location and the rooms much better than I had expected.
The staff are really friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very good value.
Everything you could want and more from a budget hotel.
I will be staying again on my next vist to Sheffield.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Diane B, General Manager at Ibis Sheffield City, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this review, my team and I really appreciate your comments and we look forward to welcoming back to ibis Sheffield City Centre on your next visit to Sheffield.
Diane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a scam. Last week I booked a double room. Today the day before travel they sent me an email to say they had made a mistake and double booked the room. Their first instinct wasn't to apologise for the inconvenience and arrange for alternative accommodation for myself. It was to other me another more expensive room instead which I would then be expected to pay the additional costs of my own back.

When contacting them to discuss the fact they had made an error which was then going to impact me financially at no fault of my own. I forwarded them the email I received when booking the room they then proceeded to claim they had not sent this email to myself and attempted again to up sell me another room.

If as they claimed on the phone they had not sent the email and as such had no record of my booking why had I recieced a secondary email from the same account today to inform me of their error.

This place is a joke. You think you can mess people about the day before arrival and offer no means of rectifying the mistake or atleast assistance in finding an alternative whiteout additional expense

No customer service what so ever only interested in over charging people and pressure selling.

• Stayed July 2014
Diane B, General Manager at Ibis Sheffield City, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for this communication, however we do not have a record of your name nor we operate the procedures that you describe, we have not had cause to book anyone out from this hotel. Have you been booked out to Ibis Sheffield City Centre from another hotel perhaps? If you would like to provide more information please contact myself at the hotel and I would be pleased to look into your concerns.
email;H2891@accor.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I came here with 13 of my friends for my birthday. It is perfectly, centrally placed.
We were all in comfortable rooms which were perfect for what we needed.
Would definitely stay here again.
The staff were so friendly.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
We're delighted that you and your friends had an enjoyable stay with us at ibis Sheffield City Centre, my team and I are grateful for your kind review and we hope that we can welcome you back when one of you has another Birthday celebration !!
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We booked a night here because t was nice and cheap and close to the city where we were going out.

We knew where the hotel was already as my partner used to love around the corner from it before moving away so we found it with no problem!

The tram is only a short walk away so it's really easy to get to!

We checked into our room and reception was quiet which I'm not surprised about because it was a Monday evening. We had to swipe our cards to get into the lift and stairs so we knew we'd be safe in our room.

When we got to our floor it was a little disorientating because there were no directions to rooms that I could see, but just a little luck we turned the right way and our room was on the right! The hallway looked old but it added character to the stay.

The bathroom was clean, apart from the hair in the toilet... It looked like someone had trimmed their ear hair into it... (Picture to follow!) but nothing a quick flush didn't solve! The door was very loud when closing it which made me very wary when trying to go for a drunken wee at 2am thinking about the neighbours!

The bed was comfy and there were plenty of pillows. There was a lack of plug sockets, one near the bathroom and one near the window. This made making a cuppa a bit difficult because I was having the lean over the other bed as we were in a family room.

Overall, it was perfect for what we needed! I would stay here again!

Stayed July 2014
Many thanks for posting this review, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here at Ibis Sheffield City Centre and I have noted your comment in respect of cleanliness which I take very seriously. We look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to Sheffield in the future.
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This hotel is easy to find,well connected to the road network and has discounted parking (£7.40) for overnight in secure carpark adjacent to hotel.
We had a really quick and easy checkin at 1.30 pm.Room was usual Ibis design,now with really comfy bed and extra pillows,which along with updated blinds made the room comfortable.We paid for breakfast when we arrived as it was £5.50 if bought in advance,think it was £7.95 if paid the next morning.Breakfast was decent quality,buffet style and was worth the money.Free wifi in room was decent connection.Large walk in shower was good.Tea/coffee and biscuits provided in room.Cafe bar for food,snacks and drinks in hotel foyer.Hairdryer in room.Helpful staff available at all times.Secure access to elevator area for guests only.
Hotel is beside a tram stop,few mins on the tram and you are right in the city centre.
All in all we had a very satisfactory stay here and although the room was expensive as the Tour De France was in Sheffield!! we happy with our stay and would use this hotel again if returning to Sheffield.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I'm delighted that you chose to stay with us at Ibis Sheffield City Centre. My team and I really appreciate your "All good" review and hope that we can welcome you back when you next visit Sheffield.
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

It's hard to believe that this hotel is part of the Ibis chain from Accor. Hotels. The experience I received here differs entirely from all of the other hotels I have stayed in.

I do not read reviews of these hotels prior to staying, so that I can gauge my own opinion rather than be swayed by others.

However, just reading the latest reviews, there seems to be a common theme at this hotel.

Location, excellent for the train station, my return train ticket from manchester was only slightly more than price of the car park offered. So if you can don't not drive here, take the train.

Check in experience, as a Le Club Gold level member, you are supposed to be afforded some additional experiences, the welcome drink was in fact most welcome. I was surprised that I didn't have to sign the till receipt for this perk which is why I usually do. I wasn't asked to see my Le club card, I wasn't asked to give my credit card to confirm my identity.

The receptionist in fact didn't seems to care about my business at all. She asked about car parking - it must be the biggest money spinner for this hotel, as a lot of the other reviewers seem to have the same experience. Car parking certainly trumps anything else. My rate didn't include breakfast, I usually decide on the day of arrival if I am going to book this, but the receptionist didn't even attempt an up sell. The staff did not also try to get people to join the loyalty scheme or the paid for ibis business card. Come on Diane ( manager) you are missing some extortion here, get the staff to offer your service. Also no mention of the on site meal service.

Free wifi throughout: this is one thing that UK ibis hotels have got right, sign in once during your stay and no additional problems of disconnection.

Late check out on request - apparently this is fine unless it's a Saturday departure as the receptionist made it very clear " we never give late check out on a Saturday as we need to get all rooms cleaned for the next lot of punters, sorry guests". So checkout had to be by 12, and despite the do not disturb sign on the door house keeping knocked at 11:30. Obviously very keen to get his work done for the next paying guest!

Room upgrade- none available at this hotel so don't get your hopes up.

I was not told if there was a hospitality corner, free newspaper or an internet staton for use, but at £1 for 20 minutes use this is very expensive. Bring your wifi enable gadgets to use the wifi for free.

Do not make the same mistake I made in the morning, sitting in the lounge area adjacent to the breakfast area, reading the free paper and watching tv, at other ibis I have always been directed to the juice drink machine as part of the hospitality so I just took a small glass of juice. Big mistake!!!!! Night receptionist came over and barked " are you having breakfast?" Answer no. Then very clearly and loudly so other guests could hear, "the juice is only for the guests who are taking breakfast" . As I hadn't put my mouth to the glass I asked him to take it away then, as £7.95 for a glass of juice is a bit too much. At this point he made it very clear that he wouldn't take it away. What a waste of a glass of juice. I felt so ashamed, this was in front of a number of guests and children, who I believe get free breakfast if the adults cough up full price.

Room was the standard layout, bed as comfortable as ever. Two pillows with an extra available. I still can't work out why only 3 pillows in a double room, but I didn't need a 4th one on this occasion.

Bathroom scrupulously clean, even smelled of chemicals when I arrived, so I know it was freshly sanitised.

TV channel selection is great for the UK visitor, not much for the ESOL visitors though.

Security guard was walking round, but I didn't make any noise so no interaction there

Check out. Was swift and functional, no, thanks for your business, no, how was your stay, no, were their any issues. I had to ask for a printed receipt, no offer to have it emailed to me which I have had at other hotels.

Would I stay here again? Not a chance, despite my loyalty to the company, there is a Travelodge next door which may well get any future business in Sheffield.

Whilst writing this review in the seating area, it's great to watch the staff go help themselves to drinks from the coffee machine.

Now they have invested in comfort for sleeping, the manager needs to divert some funding to customer service training. I suggest you send some staff to see how they do customer service at the ibis Irving Street in Birmingham, half the number of rooms, but only 2-3 visible staff in reception area! always smiling! always happy to help and offer assistance. I stay there every month and still get the full reception experience, which is always asked about in the Accor customer surveys.

So when I am asked to review this hotel I will not be able to give a glowing feedback on the key questions asked which are obviously the expected level of customer service.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front overlook a large roundabout, trams start about 6am till midnight so some nois...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for you review, we welcome your comments. In respect of late check out, it is offered only subject to availability and difficult to accomodate on busy departure and arrival days, our check out time is noon and check in time from 2pm, invariably guests arrive to check in earlier, in particular when groups of guests arrive together as is the case most weekends. Breakfast prices for children can vary depending on age.
The Q car park is not connected to the hotel and only guests benefit from any discounts.
We hope hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
East Anglia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I normally stay at the hotel's sister property, the Mercure St Pauls when in Sheffield but due to the visit by the Tour de France and the Mercure inflating their prices to take advantage I decided to use the Ibis instead.

Having stayed at other Ibis hotels I knew the facilities would be different from the Mercure but have found the Ibis brand ok for those stays where you just need a bed and a good nights sleep.

This hotel has real potential, a short walk from Sheffield station and city centre it's location and pricing make it a good choice for those who just need a no-frills base in the city. Its an opportunity that other hotels have spotted with a Travelodge just across the road.

Sadly the opportunity seems squandered by the staff who seem to fail to understand even the basics of hotel customer care.

Check in should have been a warning, on arrival, the gentleman on reception seemed to treat us like we were disrupting his day, grunted at, not standard greeting to enquire about if there was anything needed. I was barked at for 'card' and on questioning further was told I needed to show my credit card for identification. I was then asked to pay for breakfast or car parking, on explaining I didn't need either I was told it made things difficult as they needed to charge something to the card to prove I knew the pin number. Now I've been asked for a card to authorise for any expenses before but never been told I need to purchase something to check in. Eventually I was told the standard pre-authorisation would be charged and refunded on check out. If that had been offered originally rather than being asked to purchase something I didn't want it would have saved a lot of time and hassle.

Eventually I was virtually thrown a key card with not even a hint of 'have a nice stay'

The room itself was fine apart from only having one pillow (not ideal for 2 people!). Asking at reception I was told they would 'try' to find one but the hotel was busy. A second pillow followed about an hour later.

On returning to the hotel after an evening meal I found the key card no longer worked, reception fixed it easily enough but the same happened each day. I was informed I must have been keeping the key next to a magnet - surprisingly I don't carry a magnet in my pocket.

On the second night, returning to the room we found housekeeping had removed all the towels from the bathroom. Again another conversation with reception saying they would 'try' to find some (it seems a favourite phrase with staff) and eventually a towel was delivered.

Add in other silly errors from staff in the bar, housekeeping staff who ignore the 'do not disturb' sign and I was glad we were spending little time in the hotel.

On check out this morning, Dianne the hotel's General Manager was serving. Again not even any hint of anything close to customer care, no enquiry about my stay just a fascination about if I was in the car park next door. I had to ask about the card authorisation and the refund but she said I'd need to wait for the authorisation to elapse. Not knowing what had actually been charged and given the string of errors by her staff I wasn't happy leaving open my card for any charges for up to 10 working days. I explained no other Accor hotel has such a policy of insisting on a purchase at check in and at that point she became increasingly unhelpful, insisting it was in reaction to a 'security risk' and it was my choice if I used the hotel or not.

You pay for what you get the saying goes and yes, for £40 a night the room and hotel infrastructure were satisfactory, the low price though does not excuse poor customer service. I look forward to returning to the more welcoming St Pauls next time I'm in Sheffield. If you can avoid interacting with the staff this may be a hotel worth considering, otherwise there are more amenable facilities near by.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter as away from the main road and tramline but you will forf...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Sorry for your disappointment, I am sure Accor guest relations will address your concerns.
Diane

Been to Ibis Sheffield City? Share your experiences!