“great place” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Historic Sites, Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Landmarks
7 attraction reviews
“great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

very good place to vist,lovely ruins and grounds the turret house is a must see,the people who run the place are fantastic

Visited September 2013

15 attraction reviews
“Mary Stuarts Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

when they open and have a open day you get to see inside of lodge ,and they dress in Elizabethen dress.
sometimes have stall and games .

Visited May 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A hidden treasure - great for an uplifting visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I went up to Manor Lodge Open Day on Saturday and had the most wonderful two hours or so.

I went on my own as all my grandchildren were busy doing other things but the whole day was delightful. I was so impressed with the glorious meadows the Green Estate and Friends have planted - they looked absolutely beautiful and the sun was shining too. I looked around all the stalls and had a nice enjoyable spend on plants, chocolates, wildlife things etc. All the people manning the stalls (which looked so lovely in their medieval way) were so friendly and helpful. The plant stall just above the Rhubarb Shed was super and the people there so enthusiastic I could have bought every plant in their catalogue! There was a stall with lovely homemade wines to sample and I would have bought a bottle if they had had a licence to sell it. The allotments looked very healthy and well kept and I met a delightful couple there, this gentleman's wife was sitting there with her grandchildren whilst he was pottering a bout on his allotment. They were all so very enthusiastic and jolly. In fact the people I passed along the lovely paths were all smiling and happy looking with their children and grandchildren.

I think I might write to the Sheffield Telegraph about what a nice day one can have if you are on your own and feeling down (well, I wasn't actually down) but it was so uplifting. I could have been anywhere - in the middle of a meadow, at a country fayre or whatever. But each time I visit Manor Lodge I come away with a smile on my face and a spring in my step.

Visited June 2013
9 attraction reviews
“Wild flowers to historical towers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Sheffield's Manor Lodge perches upon one of Sheffield's 7 hills and gives comanding views over the city. But if look more closely at the site you will find history colliding with modern green rooved buildings and wild flower meadows. Learn about Bess of Hardwick and her fortunes and Mary Queen of Scotts imprisonment in the Lodge. there are ruins connected to Sheffield's castle as well as great cafes and walks. Visit on open days when there are loads of activities and attractions and guided walks and talks. A grand day out as Wallace says to Grommit!

Visited September 2012
Sheffield
“Manor Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Really enjoyed my trip today! Staff were great and the landmarks were fascinating! Defiantly worth going! The café/farm is fantastic on a sunny day! Also the views are amazing!! The viewing point is breath taking, you can see the whole of Sheffield! Great day for a any age with young children or older children! If you want to look around the house there is a charge of £2 but its worth it!

Visited June 2013