“You get what you pay for!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Riverside Court Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sheffield
Riverside Court Hotel
You added Riverside Court Hotel to your Saves list
4 Nursery Street, Sheffield S3 8GG, England   |
Ranked #50 of 57 Hotels in Sheffield
London
“You get what you pay for!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

Myself and 5 friends booked this hotel because it was fairly central and was a cheap bed for the night as we were going to watch the snooker. On arrival I was a little taken aback by the surroundings of the hotel, with a derelict pub and various delapidated buildings being the scenery. The hotel itself is very old and you wouldn't want to lean too hard on anything in case it broke! On the plus side the staff were extremely friendly and helpful and we checked in without any problems. The rooms were quite large and warm and the linen on the beds was clean. The bathroom was clean as well but only the bare minimum is provided here.

All in all, if your budget will only allow for this hotel then you will get a good nights sleep in a clean bed. If your budget can stretch that little bit further then I would recommend going elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

After reading reviews on this website, I feared for the worst. We were met by friendly (although you could say bored) staff and the reception, bar and unused room on the left all looked nice. Checked in without a hitch and made our way up to the room.

The further you get into the hotel, the more you notice the dated and unmaintained decor. The wallpapers and carpets reminded me of a stereotypical old relatives house.

The wallpaper on the stairs leading up to the first floor was stained and held on using drawing pins, there was also a distinct smell of urine in this area.

The first thing I noticed in the room itself was the big patch of ripped wallpaper on the wall opposite the door. Surprisingly it wasn't the retina burning orange wallpaper. The beds were clean enough, although they looked and felt as though they were on their last legs. Later that night I would keep the other person in the room awake thanks to the noises it made at the slightest movement.

To save time I'll list a few of the other faults:

The window no longer had a handle making it hard to close (obviously!), the plates/cups provided were dirty, one remote control was missing (the other didn't work), of the 8 drawers in the room only 3 would open and the handle of the cupboard door was missing (I went on to cut my hand on the screw).

On a positive note the bathroom wasn't too bad, it was clean and while it was small it did the job.

I was down in sheffield for a university open day, and was drawn to the Riverside Court hotel purely because it had vacancies and was a great deal cheaper than the other hotels in the city centre. I knew when booking that I would be spending the majority of my time out and about in the city and spending well over £100 on what was effectively just a bed was pointless.

The hotel is conveniently situated in the city centre: a 5-10 min walk from the train station, just over the road from an internet cafe, 2 min walk from the shops and just a little further you'll find a host of tram/bus stops.

Plus there's a nice Wetherspoon's not too far away where you can grab a drink or a meal. Don't make the same mistake I did of buying a warm Jack Daniels and Coke from the Hotel bar for £4!!

To sum up, if you're looking for some cheap accomodation or you're going to be out and about for the majority of your stay then this is a decent place to sleep. If you're able to splash out a little more then there's a premier inn and a travelodge just round the corner. If you have children, or are staying for more than a coupl of days, I would definately recommend finding somewhere else.

• Liked — The Price
  • Disliked — Poor condition
  • Stayed April 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Isle of Wight
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

Dirty, Smelly and Disgusting. Wallpaper in the stairway was held on with drawing pins. The 18inch cobwebs had cobwebs. The bathroom had major peeling paint and black mould by the bath. The carpect was so yuk, our teenage girls refused to walk on it barefoot. I don't mind tired furniture or unfashionable decor but I do mind dirt and grime and disrepair.

I attach photos that I took to prove my point.

If it wasn't for the fact that we checked in late in the evening we wouldn't have stayed there at all, as it was we cancelled our second night and went elsewhere.

When we went to complain, the manager accepted our complaint as though he had heard it many times before. He refunded the cost of the cancelled night but I am trying to get a refund of the night we stayed as well because it was so awful.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — dirt
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Harrogate
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

My stay at the Riverside Court was certainly not what I expected, maybe I ought to have read the other reviews on this website before I booked!

After arriving at the hotel, like others i found it odd that the front door was kept locked, and that to gain entry, I had to ring the doorbell - which looked like it was on its last legs.

I found the staff to be friendly, and checked in with no problems, although i had to ask how to get to my room.

Like others, I also felt that the smell was a little bit strong, but when you consider that each floor has its own kitchen which long term residents use regularly, I guess that smells are part of the experience.

After a short walk, following the signs, I opened the door to my room. The room was small, with a single bed, a fridge, a portable TV, a cupboard on the wall and a wardrobe. There was also a door into the bathroom.

The first thing that struck me was that the room was in dire need of some redecorating - the walls were grubby looking and had cobwebs in the corners. The carpets were a disgrace. The bedding, towels and curtains were suitably clean.

I then went into the bathroom. This was small - I could not open the door fully as there was the hand basin behind it, there was a bath and a toilet as well. The bathroom overall was clean and tidy. The shower was of the mixer taps variety, but the hose was badly damaged and the shower head was tiny and sent what was almost a single stream of water from it. In particular I found the sign on the bathroom wall amusing - See photo

I decided to go and have a drink in the bar that evening, the only drink they had on tap was Carling - Yuck and so I had a bottle of Becks instead. Prices were average.

That evening I found the bed to be firm, but not too uncomfortable. To make a cup of tea before I went to bed, I discovered that the only place I could plug the kettle in meant that I had to unplug the fridge! The TV remote was missing, but the TV worked and the picture was OK. There was also an alarm clock left on the bedside table - I didnt plug this in to try it since I had taken my own anyway.

The next day, I had my breakfast at the hotel. This was a typical english breakfast consisting of Sausages, Bacon, Fried egg, mushrooms, beans and toast. There was also cereal on offer, fruit juice and a pot of tea or coffee. The breakfast itself was satisfactory, however when I asked for a teaspoon to stir my coffee, I was told that they seemed to have vanished, and it was suggested that i use a dessert spoon instead! Eventually, a teaspoon was found for me, and there were a few there the following day at breakfast.

Now I come to my most serious complaint - Whilst I was out on business, roomservice did the usual changing of towels, etc. Upon my return, I was shocked to discover that they had left my door unlocked throughout the day. I had left my laptop charging in the room whilst I was out - it was in plain view and had anyone walked in, there would have been nothing to prevent them from taking it. Even more shocking is that when I made a complaint about this, it was revealed that this particular maid had already recieved complaints from previous guests for the same thing! As compensation, I was offered a free drink from the bar!

Overall, this hotel would be OK for a cheap place for an overnight stay, but if you are staying for several night, I suggest that you try one of the other hotels which may be more comfortable!

• Liked — Checking out.
  • Disliked — Poor decoration - needs refurbishment
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
leek
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2008

This has got to be one of the worst hotels I have stayed in. On the positive side the rooms were a good size and the bedding and towels were clean and it is only a five minute walk to the centre. From the outside the hotel looked deserted, run down and the windows were filthy. On arrival the staff were friendly but the hotel decor was appauling and the smell terrible.It looked like a blind man had decorated the place.The rooms were very dark and depressing. I only went in the hotel when I really needed to as I didnt want to spend any more time than needed in there. This place is in dire need of modernisation. The hotel is very grubby and I didnt feel clean at all.The bed was creaky and the shower had a mind of its own. If I was staying for more than 2 nights I would have changed hotels. I didnt have a breakfast as I didn't dare. I can imagine the kitchen standards are horrendous. There is car parking but I was worried about the car as when we pulled up there was smashed glass in the parking space next to us. I would only say stay here if it the absolute last resort and if you are only staying the one night, otherwise please don't stay here. I read the reviews and thought it can't be that bad but it was. Whoever runs this hotel should be ashamed.

Stayed January 2008
lisburn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

We arrived and thought this hotel was no longer open due to the neglected appearance. On entering I noticed that the wallpaper was hanging off and that the carpets were extremely dirty. I got to my room and the bed wasnt made. Decided to leave at this point and luckily enough was able to get some of my money back. Found an exceptionally clean hotel just round the corner with friendly staff. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

Stayed July 2007
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

We stayed in this hotel May 2007 it was awful, it was like something out of the 1920's. It is in dire need of complete renovation, it was shabby on arrival at the outside, the rooms were not at all cleaned thoroughly there was a lot of dirt on the carpets throughout the hotel, there was a wire from of the table lamps that was bare and another had no lamp at all in it. There was no heating put on in the rooms only in the hallway, no key for the front door you had to ring a bell for entry and the whole place smelt fusty. We didnt bother eating there as the room was enough to cope with. needs decorating badly as the walls and paintwork were filfthy, the wall paper was stained and some was hanging off the walls. Had we have not been asked to pay for the room on arrival we would not have stayed put, but they ask you for your money on arrival. Some of the bannister posts were missing and dangerous. we certainly wont be staying there again and wouldnt recommend it.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Riverside Court Hotel? Share your experiences!