“Birthday dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Birthday dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Went for dinner for my birthday.

Great food and atmosphere value for money.

Super service friendly & knowledgable.

Recommended!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Chester, United Kingdom
“Always visited”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Warm atmosphere - great food and plenty of choice for Ale. A trip to Sheffield is not complete without a visit to The York!

Visited December 2012
Sheffield
“Fantastic!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was rather sceptical about going to The York as in my mind it was still the grotty dive that it used to be years ago. Gosh how it's changed!!! The food was fantastic. I had salmon on a bed of something that sounded quite fancy on the menu and I wasn't sure what it was but I thought I'd take the plunge and try it. It turned out to be a gorgeous potato thing with herbs and I ate every last bit of it. I was pretty full but on the strength of our main courses we decided we had to try the puddings. They were very nice, but didn't quite live up to the mains - hence the reason for 4 stars rather than 5.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great food, shame about the service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Having been to the york several times for food I've always loved the atmosphere food and drinks. However this last time was really quite poor. It took 20 mins for our order to be taken, and a further 15 for two soups to come out. These were lovely and cleared away relatively swiftly after we'd finished. Our mains didn't take too long and were great hence the high food rating. However after 20 mins with dirty plates in front of us, we decided we didn't want anything else. The couple next to us had to wait 10 mins for their bill to be paid, ended up having to grab a nearby chatting waitress to take their card payment. We paid by cash and left it on the table, bitterly disappointed and now having second thoughts about coming back on a seemingly relaxed Sunday.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bath
“Disappointing Sunday lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The York Sunday Roast is £10.95, choices include Rib of Beef, Roast Pork and Veggie option. I thought it was overpriced, the portion size was not generous and the veg (three roast potatoes and three carrots) were very dry - the dish needed more gravy. No parking and expensive drinks. I won't be returning - a far better quality offering at the CrossPool Tavern where you pay less and can serve yourself with a large selection of veg. That said, the young female waitress who served us was faultless, attentive and very efficient.

• Visited November 2012