“NEVER again!” 1 of 5 stars

Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“NEVER again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I would like to express my complete disgust regarding the fiasco of trying to get into the Arena 6th November for the Micky Flanaghan show.
Anticipating heavy traffic with the coinciding event at Meadowhall, my husband and I had set off allowing an hour and a half for a 30 minute journey. We had got off the motorway at the Meadowhall junction by 25 minutes whereby we then sat in almost stationary traffic for a further hour.
If this was not bad enough, by the time we got to the Arena car park it was full and we were just waved away by a steward. No assistance, no directions, NOTHING. In fact I would go so far as to say that the attitude was one of " we have your money and we couldn't care less!".
There were no signs for alternative car parks and we ended up driving ( along with the hundreds of other people who were obviously in the same predicament ) to what can only be described as the back of beyond at least 3/4 mile away from the arena. Realising that by the time we would get to the Arena that the show would almost be over, we made the painful decision to abandon the event. We weren't alone in this respect as there other people who had come to the same conclusion.
I cannot convey how utterly furious we were at the total lack of organisation . Surely there should be some signage for alternative car parks when the venue clearly cannot accommodate a sold out event or at least some help from the car park personnel.
I have been to numerous shows at other venues and never ever have I been subject to the total chaos that was last night.
This is the first time I have been to the Arena and it will most certainly be the last. The only reason for one star is that I couldn't give none!!

Visited November 2013

Sheffield, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
“Good place to see a show”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Last went here in dec 12 to see mrs browns boys , the arena is just like most venues , nothing spectacular just a convent place to watch a concert or show of your choice . But be warned it is very expensive once inside the arena

Visited December 2012
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Great Venue (For Sport)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have only been to Sheffield Motorpoint Arena twice and both times it was for comedy gigs. Michael Mcintyre who appeared to be nearly in Rotherham and Micky Flanagan who thankfully was much nearer, of course this is all dependant on how quick you are buying your tickets. My advice is be quick, for Michael Mcintyre we were about half way in the arena, I suspect he wasn't even visible to the human eye if you bought tickets on the back row.

The big screens are fine but you do feel like you have paid a fortune to sit at home with a surround sound system on if I am honest. Surely a comedy gig should have an element of interaction with the audience but people were shouting out to Michael Mcintyre and despite his best efforts he simply couldn't hear what they were saying, sadly Micky Flanagan made no attempt at audience interaction, maybe the size of the venue was the reason?

As for the venue its self the seating is pretty basic but comfortable and pretty crammed in, I am only a shorty at 5ft 8ins and leg room wasn't the best for either gig, if you get seats going up the sides be warned as they do feel like they move and rock about a bit. The toilets are fine if you get in early but the queues get massive. The food stands are ok but expensive and offer the usual chips, hotdog and beer etc.

The parking however is daylight robbery at £6 (when you take in to account how much you have already shelled out in tickets) and we found the parking attendants pretty unhelpful (at the Micky Flanagan gig), we explained that one of the occupants in our car had sustained a neck injury in a recent car accident and could be please park a bit nearer and the attendant said no, park here. It was only 5.45pm and the car park was only about 20% full, cheers for that mate.
Overall I think the venue is great but it is just too big for comedy, there is no intimacy between the act and the audience.

Visited September 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Having never been to the Sheffield Motorpoint Arena I was apprehensive, having read the most recent reviews. However, my experience when going to watch Bruno Mars was very good.

I had not realised booking car parking on the Internet closed 10 days before an event. On telephoning the Arena, the staff were able to at least advise on the possibility of getting a space on the day of the event. We arrived as the doors opened and were able to park in car park D at a cost of £6.00, which was more expensive than having booked in advance. The car park was manned and proved to be very close to the Arena yet enabled a quick get away.

There were some lengthy snaking queues to get into the Arena itself but the staff kept it very orderly. It could have been pretty unpleasant waiting outside had it been raining or particularly cold.

The Arena corridors and toilet areas were clean - presumably after the recent refurbishment. The staff kept the queues for the ladies toilets moving well. The queues for food were a little slow with a charge of £2.00 for a portion of chips. The Arena was quite cool.

Bruno Mars was outstanding.

Visited October 2013
York, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Sheffield Arena mmmm”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The Arena has recently reopened after a re-furb and I have been here a few times in the past but I will not go again. The problems that plague this venue STILL palgue this venue, basically the re-furb has meant a lick of paint and new seat covers ( we could see this ourselves but a member of staff confirmed it) the biggest issue with this venue is the toilets and bars, never in my life in any venue this size and bigger have I ever seen such chaos, the corridors are too smallfor the queues new the food outlets and toilets, you could not get through the throngs of people and all the doors are closed with yellow t-shirted staff guarding them like guard dogs. Much bigger places do so much better. I noticed 1 man on each door letting people in with a bar code reader just 1person on each door and 12 thosand plus people to let in!. The gig was delayed because people who had used ticket master ect and had printouts instead of tickets were having problems getting their bar codes read by the ! person on each door. The toilets are hoplessley inedequate, the queues ridiculous. I missed 20 minutes of the show waiting and I nearly p****d myself!! The food/drink is very expensive the beer tasteless and the public areas are devoid of any where to lean or rest your drink. After the opening of the Arena in central leeds, Sheffield should be quaking in it's boots as it just cannot compare to other Arena's anymore.

Visited September 2013