“Night out” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 57 Hotels in Sheffield
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We arranged our party to have a meal at the Rutland Hotel the evening was excellent. The whole evening was a delight and our wives enjoyed it so much we have been told to book it again later on in the year. Food excellent and the service we could not fault it would recommend this venue for an evening out if you are wanting good food and service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
lincoln, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed here for two nights because it is so convenient for the Royal Hallamshire Hospital. We were really impressed with the staff, every single one of them was welcoming, helpful and extremely friendly. The restaurant food was extremely good, portions were plentiful and we really enjoyed both dinners and breakfasts. Our room was roomy, comfortable and well equipped. The only downside was the hike up the stairs to the second floor and perhaps the décor and carpets were a bit dated. But overall, we had a very relaxing stay. It is quite likely that we will be back at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital. If so, we will definitely be booking again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I stayed at this hotel overnight as I had a conference there the next day in one of their meeting rooms, every member of staff I spoke to were exceptionally friendly and helpful; the food was delicious and the room was better than some 5* hotels I have stayed in.

Our conference was in the Dovedale suite and the staff couldn't have been more helpful, they helped us with the projection equipment and even carried things backwards and forwards to the car for us!

During our conference, James our host and barman was amazing, running around after us and I'm sure this guy has a photographic memory when it comes to peoples orders, give that man a pay rise!!

All in all a fantastic experience, I regularly stay in hotels around the UK and this hotel ranks right up there with the big boys for service, room quality and beautifully prepared food.

I would highly recommend this hotel and intend to return, I have recommended to my company to host more meetings here in future.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Nice but not 4 star.
Lovely big rooms, all very matchy and decor is good.

Not much tea/coffee and parking is limited.

Fancy shower rooms aren't very practical. Need a wet floor sign when your bathroom is flooded.

Large air con system stuck to wall in middle of room, hard to work and when it did it sounded like a jet plane taking off.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I was interested in what this hotel was going to be like after reading the very mixed reviews but I was agreeably surprised. I thought the different staircases and corridors were very appealing - I have been in a lot more confusing hotels! Another reviewer had commented on room 66 so I was please to note I was in that room. It was lovely! Best bed I have ever slept in at a hotel, really comfortable. Didn't wake at all during the night, which never happens to me! Good shower, room warm and nicely decorated. Good wi-fi signal.

Room Tip: Try to get room 66
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
London, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights during a conference, because the hotel is conveniently located close to the university. I chose the hotel, because I was curious about their peculiar decor that features heavily on their website.

The room I had was very claustrophobic: very small with little space around the bed, low ceiling and a giant TV screen - the dark decor made it even worse. In addition, a big flap on the ceiling had fallen down, giving me a view of empty space that I could have used inside the room. The bed itself had a terribly worn out mattress, so that I had to wedge cushions underneath me to had a vaguely even surface. The warm blanket was also pretty worn out. The key to the room was so bulky (heavy 10-inch hand-crafted iron-decoration) that you had no choice but to leave it at the reception (that might have been a strategic move).

The bathroom was also rather interesting: I was given threadbare towels with black mould stains on. One explanation for the mouldy towels might be this: the shower screen only closed half-way. Even if you shower with great care not to splash much, you have to put towels down on the floor to stop the water from running into your room, especially as the carpet is sticking out several inches into the bathroom. There was also no ledge for putting shampoo, just a soap dish that wasn't even suitable to hold an ordinary bar of soap due to its curved shape.

I did not try out the restaurants, as other visitors had advised me not to go. As the hotel is located quite a bit out of the city centre, the next restaurants were a bit of a walk, but that was actually quite pleasant, as you got to see a bit of the area.

On the upside, the hotel staff was very friendly, and the hotel had free wifi. The outside of the hotel also looks very nice - not your usual prefab block. I also enjoyed the wacky, though not very practical, layout of the hotel (the 'maze' described by other commentators). Moreover, the surrounding area is very quiet.

All in all, it was very fascinating to see a hotel that is (unsuccessfully) over-designed style-wise, but shows little consideration for practicalities or basics. This seems to be a common feature of British hotels, however, and indeed the hotel became subject of lively, humorous discussion at the conference on general British accommodation standards. In some sense, I would recommend going if you're interested in an 'authentic British experience', if the hotel did not have four-star prices.

Room Tip: I have a feeling that the larger rooms might provide a more comfortable experience.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
South Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

After a long journey, we sought out Sunday lunch and the Rutland's restaurant was our choice.
A four course lunch for £18 (plus free tea/coffee) was excellent value, the portions large.
Will definitely visit again for quality and value for money and friendly service.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Rutland Hotel? Share your experiences!