“Overpriced, unclean, attempted modernisation of an old building.” 3 of 5 stars

The Rutland Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   452 Glossop Road, Sheffield S10 2PY, England   |
Ranked #41 of 57 Hotels in Sheffield
Norfolk
“Overpriced, unclean, attempted modernisation of an old building.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

For what you get I suppose it's not to bad. You do get a memory foam mattress, a warm welcome, free wifi and parking, although by rights nowadays you should anyway.

However upon closer investigation, I found that the room was no where near as clean as it could have been. I was able to write my name in the dust in the wardrobe, old water still in the kettle complete with bug, I used about 15-20 baby wipes in order to clean the bathroom floor and remove the hair, fluff and dust from previous guests.

Upon me raising this issue with reception, I was offered to change rooms, and the receptionist kept the baby wipes smothered in crap to show to her manager, I was also informed that the housekeeping staff are agency, what difference does that make?

All this before my first nights sleep, hopefully the week won't get worse.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I booked into an executive room at this hotel during the Easter break and found it to be extremely comfortable and well appointed, albeit the large photo print on the wall behind the bed head somewhat quirky! The en-suite bathroom was modern and spotless and, although complimentary sachets of shower gel and shampoo weren't provided, I believe they were available if required. However, the provision of bottled water, plus a small box of chocolates was a nice gesture.

Every member of staff with whom I came into contact was obliging, courteous and friendly. I enjoyed breakfast the following morning in a light and airy conservatory overlooking the garden and, although I chose not to order the full Yorkshire breakfast, the ones being served looked absolutely delicious.

I'd be more than happy to stay again at this hotel on future visits to Sheffield.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff. Superb food. Had two excellent breakfasts, at very good value and delicious bar snack (cheesy nachos - £3) and a wonderful evening meal - exceptional quality and value for money. Rooms were eccentric in decor but clean and comfortable. Were there for my husband to have radiotherapy at hospital within easy walking distance so the helpfulness of staff made the stay much easier for us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

we stayed in the excecutive suite and the room was lovely and clean, the bed was really cunfy and we had a excellent night sleep. the staff was really helpfull and kind. we had dinner and breakfast and the food was very delicious. the only one downside is the bar was alittle pricey.we will be having our wedding there in 2015 .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Beverley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel previously and everything was fine. But this time I must have got unlucky. I was in room 120, a single room. It was very cold outside and freezing in the room when I checked in. There was no central heating but there was a climate control unit attached to the wall. I switched it on and it was extremely noisy and drowned out the TV. It did warm up the room but I could still feel a cold chill around the bottom of my legs. On further investigation, I found that this came from the window which was in dire need of maintenance. New seals around the window probably would have done the trick. Also, I'm guessing the temperature wouldn't have been a problem if the weather outside hadn't been so cold.

I had to switch the climate control unit off when I went to bed because it was so noisy. So by 4-5am the room was very cold again.

There was also low humming noise coming from somewhere near the room and it didn't stop all night. It could have been the extractor fan in the en suite of an adjoining room which would have stayed on if the bathroom light had been left on. Whatever it was, the noise persisted even when I put ear plugs in. It was like it was vibrating through the bed. So once I woke up because of the cold at 4-5am, I didn't get back to sleep for the rest of the night.

Free wi-fi was included in the price. But the connection was so slow that in the end, I resorted to tethering my Blackberry to my laptop instead. There was an ethernet cable on the desk but there was nowhere obvious to connect it. It looked as though all the sockets were secured behind a fixed panel on the wall.

The TV was fixed to the side of the wardrobe unit and the only way to watch it was to sit on the bed. No big deal but worth a mention.

The staff were very friendly and accommodating and gave me a rebate on the price because of the problems I had experienced. I guess if I'd realised there was a problem before I went to bed, I might have been able to change rooms. But at 4-5am in the morning, all you want to do is sleep.

Room Tip: There are no lifts in the hotel and it's one of those places with lots of nooks and crannies so...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Stirling, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The staff were lovely and the room was clean and modern. Free wifi... always appreciated. However disgusting blankets. I am sure these are not changed for every guest and that makes me feel quite horrible ! There is no excuse. I am sure there are no guests in the country that want to have blankets on the bed that some one else has slept on.
The heating was so noisy and clicked on and off all night keeping me awake. That was a shame as the bed itself was very comfortable

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

A very comfortable stay with helpful and cheerful staff. The food was good and the room quite adequate for our short visit. Of course there were minor faults. We had to turn the heat off as it was too warm! The sink tap although new was rather loose and another chair would have been nice. So Nine out of 10.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Rutland Hotel? Share your experiences!