“mixed feelings about this palce” 3 of 5 stars

Novotel Sheffield Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Arundel Gate, Sheffield S1 2PR, England   |
Ranked #27 of 57 hotels in Sheffield
eastbourne
“mixed feelings about this palce”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night as I was in Sheffield for my 60th birthday celebrations. I had booked 3 rooms for my family....2 executive rooms and 1 suite.
initially I wasn't impressed as I tried to check in at 3.30pm and was told therooms weren't ready....despite check in being from 2pm. at 4.30 after I had gone for a walk around the centre I went back to check in again. still the rooms weren't ready.eventually after a heated discussion with the manager I was given 1 room..the suite on the 5th floor.still theo ther 2 weren't ready.
at 5.30pm I eventually got the keys for the other 2 rooms.this simply isn't good enough for a supposed 4 star hotel.
however they did refund me the cost of 1 of the rooms because of the delays...and on returning from my night out they had given me a complimentary bowl of fruit and a card with further apologies.
I thought the rooms were good....clean and comfortable.the location is also ideal for the city centre.
breakfast was again haphazard...they kept running out of eggs...with queues developing and having to wait for them.all in all the food was ok however.
overall I got the impression that the hotel was poorly managed..with the staff trying their best to cope.
overall therefore I have mixed feelings about the place....for the price I expect better in terms of service.

Room Tip: the suites and executive rooms are good...cant comment on the other rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear alanaspinall33,

Very sorry about the delays with getting to your bedrooms on Saturday the 7th of September. As mentioned to you previously, this was not our normal process. Your comments about a heated discussion would suggest I argued with you, which was not the case. I hope you were satisfied with our gesture to you and once again I apologise for the delays you experienced.

684 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Arrived at the hotel and the car park was full so ended up having to pay £11 in a nearby car park. Went to check in at 6pm to be told the room wasn't yet ready which is the first time I've ever had this. I would expect it at 1-2pm but not 6pm and after being on a course all day I just wanted to get to my room when I arrived. Eventually I got in and the room was very nice but the shower wasn't hot enough. I had dinner and breakfast which were both to a high standard and the service was good. Overall, it is a very nice hotel but lacks a bit of organisation as I feel a room should be ready for the customer at 6pm

• Stayed December 2013
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Ollie R,

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that you were not able to check in as soon as you arrived this weekend. Normally check-in is from 2pm and we work successfully to this time, however there had been some unforseen issues which had set us back. I do assure you that what happened this Saturday is not a regular occurrence. I hope the team were professional in theri interaction with you and I am glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Hornsea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

The hotel is a well situated and modern building. The staff are friendly and welcoming.
That's it for me though on the positive front - I had booked a room with a 'Rewards free night' through Hotels.com and had chosen a suite because I wouldn't normally pay that sort of money to stay in a Sheffield hotel - there are better and cheaper ones available.

I was glad I didn't pay ! I would have been very disappointed - the suite was okay and very spacious - but the carpet was filthy and of poor quality! The room was very dark and had no view. The coffee table in the lounge had two massive 'chips ' in the wood and made it look very second rate.
Good provisions though of toiletries and coffee/tea making facilities.

I would not stay again and would not recommend it to others - as stated earlier there are better,cheaper and more luxurious hotels to be found nearby.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Melinda H,

I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness while I am not able to correct the view from the rooms, I will address you comments about the table and the carpet. Thank you for your comments about the staff and please feel free to call me on01142781781 or email me on h1348-gm@accor.com if you would like to discuss this further.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

second time in Novotel, but first time in Sheffield centre, staff are professional, helpful and friendly. Room service food and breakfast is good. This is in a great location and very much easy to get around, very convenient if you are a first timer to Sheffield. The front desk staff are very polite and make the process so easy after a 11 hour flight. Thank you guys, good job!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Oshi2009,

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Novotel Sheffield Centre and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Great situation close to the station. About 10 minutes by foot, walking slowly.

A great welcome from the desk. They were interested in us.and our well-being.

The accommodation was quiet and comfortable.

The breakfast was Incredible, both for for choice and quality.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear John L,

Thank you for your review. I am really pleased that you felt the team made you feel welcome, as it is important for us that all our guests are treated as individuals. Thank you very much for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back next time you visit Sheffield.

Kind Regards
CAMBS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed for weekend and had a great time. Hotel rooms were spacious and very comfortable. Breakfast great choice but buffet could have been hotter. Safe parking as well. All in all a central hotel . close to shops, restaurants, station and cinema.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear PLEASANTCRESCENT,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit. We have noted your comments about the buffet and will address it. I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us and hope your next visit is just as pleasant.

K Ikulayo

Been to Novotel Sheffield Centre? Share your experiences!