“A good stay, once the smell had gone.” 4 of 5 stars

Novotel Sheffield Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Arundel Gate, Sheffield S1 2PR, England   |
Ranked #27 of 57 hotels in Sheffield

684 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed here whilst I was attending a conference. Very good location, right in the heart of the city centre. Staff quite friendly and helpful. The rooms were big and spacious, but was a little dusty, the cushions had some stains on it as well. There was a half eaten mars bar in my fridge when I arrived also. Breakfast was good. You had to pay for the wifi so I didn't bother. Im not sure whether I would stay here again, possible but I would look for other hotels in the area as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Many thanks for your kind review. I would appreciate it if you would contact me at the hotel to discuss your stay.
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have tried to speak to the manager about the problems incountered, I have sent an email, called the hotel to make sure she had recieved the email and left a message but it seems the hotel couldn't care less about my horrible experience so I thought I'd share my story.
I stayed at this hotel on New Years Eve for one night. Arrival and check in went smoothly and at first glance I was happy with the room that we had paid for, however after
this things turned from bad to worse.
Firstly the heating in the room wasn't working so it was very cold and as a replacement was given a small electrical heater. Secondly when I asked to use the pool was told that I was unable to as I wasn't an eligible guest. I then had to argue that this wasn't the case.
Thirdly whilst making a hot drink all the electricity went off and a member of staff informed us that it was the wiring in our room and so we couldn't make a hot drink at all. We were told to phone reception and any hot drink would be sent up for us, which is was, but then on
check out was told that we had to pay for it as it was room service!!
Needless to say I did not pay!
The plumbing in the toilet must not have been very efficient as it constantly smelt and finally, just to top everything off the bed appeared to be broken as when you sat on it, it made a large bang. I considered discussing these problems with the staff at check out but
was so annoyed and frustrated so thought better of it! All in all a most unforgettable night but for all the wrong reasons, I can truly say that it was the worse hotel stay ever.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on 01142 781 781to discuss this further. Kind regards,
Tamworth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Me and my 2 friends stayed at Noveotel Sheffield New Years Eve. When we arrived, I went into the car park only to find no spaces left. The website does not say anything about limited spaces, and one car was parked over two spaces. The hotel should take responsibility in asking the owner to move, to let other residents park their cars, especially on such a busy day. I had to therefore park in the Casino car park round the corner which cost me £14 instead of £10 what we would have paid in the Novotel car park. I later found out we could have got a voucher from reception for £10 parking at the Casino car park, we were not offered this.

We were pleased with the room, very clean, and modern, apart from when we were unpacking our cases, the electric went off, we called reception to ask for help and the man didn't understand us and told us to call him back. We were just left in darkness with no explanation. After the electric going off again we went down to reception as we had to reply on the phone.

We had hoped that as we are not local, someone from the hotel would be able to tell us the best places to eat and drink at etc. Instead we had a man on reception that couldn't understand what we were saying to him, so had to ask random locals, who weren't much help.

After our night out in town, when returning to the hotel, we were told by a member of staff that the lifts were out of order and had to walk the 4 flights of stairs to our room. When reaching the top, someone then came out of the lifts. So it was obvious the lifts were clearly working and the member of staff had lied to us.

The morning we were due to check out we had a rude awakening by the maid at 10am, as we were checking out that day we didn't expect to be disturbed.

Breakfast was very nice, although we did have to witness a member of staff being disciplined by another, which wasn't very pleasant. When we returned to our room to get our things to check out, our key had been deactivated and we couldn't get back in. We had to then go back down to reception to get it reactivated to get back in our room to get our things.

You just wouldn't expect to have so many things wrong in a 4 Star, well known hotel chain, we booked to stay there because of the good reputation of the hotel chain. Definatly wouldnt be staying in the Sheffield Novotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on 01142 781 781 to discuss this further.
Girona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

A modern hotel ideally located for a city break in Sheffield, next to the Lyceum and Crucible Theatres and in the central shopping/bar area. We had an Executive room which was modern and quiet, not sure if the upgrade was worth it though. As far as I could make out, room was no bigger but got a gown (to use, not keep), wi-fi and a fancy coffee machine, none of which were particularly useful. That said, room rate, given location, was still good value. Car parking is plentiful (extra £10) but only a short walk to train station as well. We were going to the theatre and it was literally 2 mins from door to door (mostly undercover). Brekky was decent and good choices available (self serve buffet). Room it is served in was modern and airy. Only gripe for me was the rooms were very warm, we visited on a cold day in December, had heating down to zero and window open yet room was only just bearable. Shame because the hotel has so many other plus points.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your comments, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

Been to Novotel Sheffield Centre? Share your experiences!