“Grandeur on a budget” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 57 Hotels in Sheffield
Milton Keynes
“Grandeur on a budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

When one turns up to a Holiday Inn the expectation is generally of a pretty functional modern hotel. Well, the Holiday Inn Royal Victoria, Sheffield, changed that perception for me. Formerly a railway hotel for the Great Central line from London, this hotel still has wonderful echoes of a bygone era with several quest lounges, including a quiet lounge and a reasonably decent restaurant. We stayed for one night while doing some walking in the Peak District. Service was very good, pleasant staff who took time to chat. Breakfast was the usual Holiday Inn fare, cooked well and with fried eggs to order - just what was needed before a day's walking.

All in all, a very pleasant hotel. Only downside is that it's a bit of a nightmare to find thanks to Sheffield's utterly bizarre road system!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

Don't judge by it's outside view. This hotel services and facilities is top rated. HD Television are available, wifi are available, great view from outside and inside. Parking is complimentary. It's quite an old building but don't underestimate it's stuffing. Loved it.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

If you're looking for modern, spacious rooms, try elsewhere. It's an old railway hotel and so has large, ornate public areas, including some lovely sweeping wrought iron stairs, but some fairly small poky, gloomy rooms (although I dare say there are probably some fairly impressive ones too.) Staff were excellent, parking plentiful (unusually so for Sheffield) and breakfast was good enough to make me wonder how good dinner might be next time - the sausages and fruit were particularly good and the service was superb. Real ale fans will want a pre-dinner go at the Kelham Island draught and bottled beer selection (come on ICH, why not make locally-brewed ale a feature of your hotels and so create a USP for yourselves?). The entrance takes some finding. Head for Park Square (the roundabout at the end of the Parkway) and follow road markings for Victoria Quays then be really careful, after turning right on the traffic light filter, to dart left into the hotel entrance. I will definitely stay here next time I visit Sheffield.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Belper
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

This was the best Holdiay Inn hotel we have stopped in. The staff were attentive, afternoon teas was a touch of luxury from a bye gone era which fitted this hotel beautifully.
We were after reading reviews expecting this hotel to be basic but we found it to be very good. We booked two rooms a double and a twin, both were freshly decorated, clean and very comfortable we will definately stop here again.

Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Winchester UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

What should have been a very nice experience for our 29th Anniversary and a visit to see our son at Hallam University turned into a nightmare visit and stay. We had previously stayed at the Holiday Inn Woking 2 weeks prior for a wedding and was impressed.

There was a key card competition where we won two night for the price of one thru Priority CLUB (PC) promotion. On entering the code on line at PC site we were flagged up as a winner and re-directed to a new page - Green ROOM - Here a simple page explained the prize without any terms or conditions of the offer, which I printed out as proof of the prize. If there is a time to add conditions to such promotions – why not on the winning notification then no misunderstandings can occur.

Come to use this voucher when booking Sheffield 2 weeks later was a disaster, as it is a franchise hotel , only 50% owned by Holiday Inn (HI) - Impossible. I sent an on line written request for further information re this promotion –and a requested a "proper voucher" No reply by email, except an automatic advice. I also talked on-line with an assistant 'ED' who new nothing of this promotion and told me the only room available was the 1862 suite at £150 per night. Room rates for a double were at £48.75 per night at this time. I tried thru the GREEN ROOM to book 2 for 1 in a double. No Joy. phoned Reservations in UK. Never heard of the Green Room promotion -said it was a PC thing and I could complain to them. Spent 45 minutes on the phone to PC in the USA trying to explain my simple winning printout and the lack of response. Nobody cares or even knows about this offer/prize! The US PC hung up on me when I started to get annoyed - BUT they did offer me 20,000 points as a compensation for my frustrations. I said I wanted a double room in Sheffield not Points as we had booked time off for this outing/celebration!

I guess I spent over 4 hours over several days trying to book this was then informed by UK reservations that this promotion was all subject to availability when booking. On-line room rates were now up to £67.45 per night and no chance of the 2 for 1. Thank you HOLIDAY INN. Finally another try, a third lady at UK central Reservations heard the story for a third time and arranged to book us into the suite 1862 (room/s 134) on our dates. BUT at £150 for the two nights. When we checked in it was explained that they did not know about this promotion and anyway as a franchise they do not have to make these offers available!

Well I am pleased we did not pay the going rate, even for a sumptuous (well supposed to have been) suite. A nice big (25 feet long) Bathroom offered a Jacuzzi bath and a large shower. Nowhere to hang your towelling robes or towels except on the floor, - nowhere to put wash bags except on the floor, net curtains could do with a wash. BUT WORSE - run the Jacuzzi bath for Mrs S, in she jumps switch on one set of the jets (the other did not work !) and she is covered in a thousand bits of black slime - in her hair and all over. HORRIBLE.

Maintenance man comes and immediately says they have been digging up the road! Its Not the Hotel! When I point out that this is like soap slime from the waste pipe which has settled in the pump and Jet pipes, I am then told these are flushed through with Chlorine every 4 weeks, and recorded in a schedule. [--]. We went out for what should of been a lovely dinner still discussing this event - which truly had spoiled the day!.

Next evening we were assured there would be no problem with the Jacuzzi and tried again. NO LUCK - Obviously it was better having been flushed through twice for an hour each time! This spells just what this hotel is about! Run Down and only really a two star!

We were sent up a bottle of wine in an ice bucket to apologise for the non use of the Bath! Nice touch, BUT one glass was coated with lipstick right around the rim. Shows that good staff are difficult to come by on low wages. Aghast we had to complain again. A nice touch but nobody cares any more, so it was immediately spoiled

Reception was sympathetic to all our woes and knocked £10 pound a night of the room rate and then on checkout they deleted the Bill for breakfast on two mornings. This was appreciated, but in some way did not equate to the mess made of our special occasion

Would I stay again Definitely NO! despite only using Holiday Inn hotels around the world for the last few years, to build up the PC points, particularly when there are so many nice clean hotels which are easier to find on the one way streets of Sheffield.

PS Reception arranged for us to phone guest services (0870 - 10p per minute usually) to make an official complaint re the booking saga! The lady at guest services also had no knowledge of this Green Room 2 for 1 Promotion - says a lot about there marketing.

Forgot to mention that most of the "antique" (1862 ??) furniture had been spolied by hot cups and spillages on the lacquered/ polished surfaces. Simple glass work tops would have kept these pristine!

Captain Philip A Smith, MNI, MN

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

1. Room 240 was small, noisy and overlooked the main trunk road into and out of Sheffield. The room lacked double glazing and the decoration was worn with holed net curtains. The incessant traffic noise and headlights reflecting into the room was intrusive. The overhead floor was creaking and noisy until the above room’s occupants decided to retire to bed at around 1330 hours. Room 240 was also short on tea, coffee and biscuits. Neither was there any drinking chocolate. The en-suite bathroom was considered unacceptably small for a double room.

2. Upon paying my bill and during general discussions with the receptionist, I was made aware that I had been given an extremely good rate on the internet. I therefore assume that because of this it follows you are to expect a lower standard room of room and service as a consequence? From the number of vehicles in the car park it would appear that the hotel had low occupancy, a more suitable room should have been available.

3. For a first time visitor to Sheffield this has to be the most difficult of hotels to access. Sat Nav systems do not work accurately within the City Centre. As a consequence whilst one is physically able to see the hotel, the signage is extremely poor. It took us many drive pasts and around half an hour to firstly guess the correct access and secondly to navigate the ludicrous road network to the hotel. I expect to receive a bus/taxi lane traffic violation ticket as a consequence of simply trying to determine the access to the hotel. All this aggravation after a 4 ½ hour drive was stressful in the extreme.

4. Trying to exit the car park on a dark wet evening proved tedious. We had driven into the car park that afternoon without restriction at the controlled ramp entrance, exiting later that evening proved impossible. On reaching the barrier it was evident that the barrier required a number to exit. I had not been advised of the necessary code. Neither did pressing the call button on the keypad elicit a response. In frustration and by now soaking wet I had to return to the hotel reception and ask for the number. When I questioned why I had not been advised of the number I was told it was my responsibility to obtain a new number every day at the reception because the keypad code changes daily. When I advised if this should apply in my circumstances as I had only checked in three hours earlier a vacant look appeared over the receptionist’s face.

I was left frustrated and unimpressed with my whole Holiday Inn experience.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
bigmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

Nice old style Hotel, not your standard HI, Hard to find the entrance, I dont know why its not sign posted as many other Hotel are, Room was clean and comfortable, Would stay again. Vlaue for money was good paid £55

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Sheffield? Share your experiences!