“Let down” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 57 Hotels in Sheffield
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Let down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

First room we were given had mouldy carpets and was very cramped. We also found rubbish left from the precious tenant so the room hadn't been cleaned thoroughly.
Upon complaining we were offered another room which was better than the first but still not what we'd expect from a '4star' hotel.
Only stayed the one night so wasn't too much of an issue but wouldn't choose again.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed here in September when I was in the area seeing friends having previously stayed at the newer Holiday Inn express next door/

Having read many reviews questioning parking charges and wifi I find it hard to believe people can complain about this when charging for these types of things has been common place in hotels for years?

Anyway, the hotel itself is set in a lovely old building next to where Sheffield Victoria station used to be. It has a newer extension to the side including a fitness centre.

The hotel staff were very friendly and polite, answering any questions I had about the parking (which I actually thought was quite reasonable!)

The room itself, although obviously a little dated was clean and well kept. The room had an LCD TV, lovely plump pillows and was nice and warm on what was yet another cold, miserable day!

The bathrooms have clearly been renovated recently and this shows in how modern they look - people say it is cramped in other reviews. I would ask those people to pay a visit to some hotels in Central London which are like shoe boxes compared to this!!!

Of course there are areas of the hotel that could do with a freshen up - I have never been a fan of the standard Holiday Inn chairs/tables in lobbys etc BUT that is not the hotels fault.

The breakfast was fresh, warm and topped up on a regular basis and although busy staff still cleared plates away when requested.

Overall, for what is an extremely old, classical building I think it is a lovely hotel. As people may see from my profile I have stayed at a few Holiday Inns now and this and the other one in Sheffield (Express) are both brilliant places to stay, especially when you compare prices to some of the other hotels in the area!

Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Essex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was probably lovely once upon a time but is now rather tired.
Our room was quite old fashioned and the furniture had seen better days.The divan beds could do with some valances to hide the stains on the bases.
The room was very hot and stuffy as there is no air conditioning and the window can only be opened a crack for obvious safety reasons. Even on a fairly typical October night the room temperature was uncomfortably hot and I had a terrible nights sleep as a result.
The room and the bed linen had an unpleasant smell and I really couldn't wait to check out.
On the positive side , the bathroom was modern and clean.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear DMGIrl,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. I am pleased you found our bathroom modern and clean. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us.Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and regret you were not fully satisfied with the conditions of the room you received. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will address these to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Regards,

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

The rooms were clean, had large showers and decent TV's. it's just a shame that our booking was taken incorrectly and our twin single was infact a double.

Having got the sofa bed out we settled in for the night. If you are over 6ft (as indeed I am) expect to lose your ankles. These sofa beds have been manufactured with all the steel ever made in Sheffield. No matter which way you turn you get jabbed or poked thanks to the soft, thin mattress.

We were lucky enough for our party to be provided a buffet. The jacket potatoes were stone cold. The chocolate fudge cake was on the other hand delicious.

• Stayed October 2012
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

One night stay midweek in this Victorian hotel. Yes it is a little dated but has a lot of character and charm. We love the bar/lounge area and enjoyed excellent service.
As previous reviewers have commented it is really worth the extra for an Executive room. Ours was spacious, comfortable and clean whilst the en suite was modern with a large bath and separate shower cubicle together with twin was basins. The only thing which was a little disconcerting was that the toilet flushed hot water!

We took advantage of room service and found the food and service to be of good quality. I did not take up the expensive internet access and the IHG needs to review it policy for charging such high prices for internet access across its hotel range in this day and age.

The buffet style breakfast had plenty of choices both hot and cold and all were of good quality.

I would stay here again just be aware of the idiosyncrasies of some of the plumbing.

Room Tip: Go for an Executive room
East Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Have just had a wonderful two night stay at the Royal Victoria Holiday Inn. Originally a one night Groupon deal that I extended. The housekeeping team are extremely efficient and were with me within 5 minutes of my call for a mino rproblem with my radiator. Reception and dining room staff friendly and helpful. My daughter and her partner also stayed and we both had executive rooms. Spacious and warm with lovely modern bathrooms. Very clean with lots of pillows and fluffy dressing gowns. Perfect if you prefer a character hotel with original features.
We will be revisitingsoon.

Room Tip: Executive twins have 2 double beds and all executive rooms are spacious with lovely bathrooms. Not m...
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Last week was my birthday and my husband and myself celebrated by having afternoon tea at the Royal Victoria Hotel.
It was all delicious, Finger sandwiches, Scones and clotted cream, cakes, choice of teas and a glass of champagne, all for £15.00 for two. It was a Groupon offer but excellent value for money. Would recommend it for a special accasion, or just a treat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Sheffield? Share your experiences!