“Champagne Afternoon Tea” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
sheffield
“Champagne Afternoon Tea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

We thought we would go and savour the delights of Mosborough Halls advertised afternoon tea, so strapped in the little man and set off at a leisurely pace through a crisp December afternoon. On arrival, the refurbished bar area looked as splendid as ever, and very festive. We sat in the bar and after getting a high chair, ordered the champagne afternoon tea, (after some marginal arm twisting from my wife). The selection, at first glance looked quite sparse, featuring some cucumber fingers, salmon and egg sandwiches, some home made scones and huge quantities of strawberry jam and clotted cream, and then some miniature christmas pies and cheese cakes. But actually, I couldn't have eaten any more afterwards, so clearly, the christmas mindset had set in and my eyes may have been bigger than my belly! The sandwiches were very tasty, my son loved the smoked salmon (not so keen on egg...). The homemade scones were delicious, with more jam than I could shake a jam spoon at, again, my son loved them to the point we had a very sticky baby. The cheesecakes were sublime, a chocolate one was absolutely divine, really rich dark chocolate taste, but with a great texture, holding itself aloft for the eating! So once finished, we left satisfied, in a warm wintery glow, and slipped gently back down the hill to a cosy house.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sheffield
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

It's been a few years since we first tried the food at Mosborough Hall, and we decided to give them another go. The grounds and buildings are characterful and nicely located; the decor is good. The food ingredients come from local sources - all listed on the menu, which is great. However, the service in the restaurant is lousy, it caters for families, so if you're a couple wanting a quiet dinner, then the screaming echo of kids resonating around the place might not be for you, and above all the food was sadly average and on the high side price-wise.

The chef has got the right spirit, but the choices on the menu are uninspiring, and overall we found both our courses to be a little oily. I wouldn't deny that Darcy's has potential, but at present, I don't plan to return.

Visited July 2011