You added Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre - St Mary's Gate to your Saves list
Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre - St Mary's Gate
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Young Street | St Marys Gate, Sheffield S1 4LA, England   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book at premierinn.com
Ranked #1 of 57 Hotels in Sheffield
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Great room: comfortable, clean, cosy, and the shower was brilliant. Excellent quality for the price. Staff were really lovely - I asked them for help to do with the surrounding area and finding where I needed to go, and they went to extra lengths to find out exactly what I needed. The location is ideal, easy to access all of Sheffield by car and other transport.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Clean, modern with a great view from the 10th floor.
User has to swipe door card to access 4th floor and above as well as a bouncer on the door at night makes this hotel one of the safest in Sheffield.
Lenny did us proud.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Helpful friendly staff - clean excellent room - excellent value for money being in City Centre. The ease of checking in and help from staff made this relaxed Tay and helped make our short visit hassle free. Sorted out taxi for us with no fuss and all on all fine experience . Lot better than some more expensive hotels stayed in.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

There was a terrible low-pitched pulsing noise of variable duration and loudness coming through the ceiling of my room. When I complained at 1:10am, having not been able to get to sleep, I was told that it was due to a faulty air conditioning unit on the roof. They could not move me to another room - all they could do was to offer me a refund.
I can't believe that they did not know about this problem before giving me this room, and were hoping that I would not complain.

Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com

WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre - St Mary's Gate, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have a quiet stay in a comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Leeds, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Great modern hotel, great price. Clean rooms with all amenities you need for a pleasant stay. 5-10 minute walk to City Hall. Free secure underground parking. Secure access to the lifts, floors and rooms. Free limited wi-fi. The only annoying thing was having the reception on level 3 (not street level) which was irritating. Overall, well done Premier Inn.

Bristol, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

This Premier Inn is conveniently situated for the railway station (20 minutes walk away) and the city centre (5-10 minutes). The room was cheap and the receptionist was welcoming (though when I asked for a quiet room, having had poor experiences at Premier Inns elsewhere, I was just told "all our rooms are quiet"!!). As it was, we were put on the floor above reception which suffered from traffic noise at night: lorries, ambulances etc, even with the window shut. And the lack of a bath was a bit of a shame.

We had one breakfast there and the guy in charge was very helpful and attentive. But where this Premier Inn really fell down was the one night we stayed in for an evening meal.

Firstly I should mention that the 'special' price for breakfast and evening meal combined isn't much of a saving, unless you're a big eater and choose the dearest items. Anyway, we were shown to our table after handing in our meal voucher, and ordered our main courses. Because of the meal option we had to order desserts at the same time, which was a bit of a pain, but the waitress's main concern at that stage seemed to be to try to get us to choose various extras.

Then after nearly half an hour she came over to say our meals would be ready in a few minutes. Others who came in later were being served before us, and in the end we waited another 15 minutes, so it looked very much as if our order had been 'lost'. No apology of any kind.

Afterwards we waited nearly 10 minutes for our plates to be cleared, and were then asked by two other waiter/waitresses if we wanted a dessert menu. We told them we had already ordered - though I eventually realised we would be sitting there for ever at that rate, as clearly no one was intending to do anything about it.

So I found our original waitress to remind her we'd already ordered desserts. Again, no apology, just "OK, I'll get them". The final straw was when this same person asked us afterwards if we wanted the bill, to which I had to say "No, we've already paid, as you know".

This all evidenced a hopeless lack of training, of co-ordination between staff, and of 'ownership' of diners. At one point all the staff totally disappeared into the kitchen for some time, leaving people just arriving to wait to be seated. It was not even as if the restaurant was particularly busy: it was only half-full. Oh, and the food was only on a par with Wetherspoons but not as cheap.

IF we go to a Premier Inn again, thanks to this experience we will certainly not eat there in the evening.

Room Tip: Just hope for the best - they won't let you choose!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Bristol, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Having stayed in quite a few Premier Inns (I've tried to review as many as I can), I have got used to the familiar layouts, the service consistency and the usual high standards. Apart from the various different eateries that you can find, there is not much more to add most of the time. However, this Premier Inn has a few differences!

As a modern build rather than a conversion, it looks like baths have been dispensed with in favour of just showers. I would check with them if a good soak is always on the agenda. Also, in regard to the washing facilities, the sink is actually in the room rather than in with the shower and toilet as one would expect. I am not saying it is over the other side of the room by the TV but I found it odd to find it separated this way - to me water and carpets do not mix.

A word on the car park - and as mentioned in another review - it's not a big one and being an underground type there are fairly tight turns and pillars. I would imagine that once the hotel fills and spaces of a sufficient size are used up then manoeuvring in and out of the remaining tight spaces could be frustrating. Get there early and you shouldn't have a problem of course.

The staff that I met with all very friendly - I cannot remember the last time I came across bad attitudes at a Premier Inn so a thumbs-up for their recruitment practices. Food was good at this price level but being so close to the City Centre there of course options outside.

In summary, great place to stay and recommended just be mindful of the quirks!

Room Tip: Find out about the bath v. shower situation before booking
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre - St Mary's Gate? Share your experiences!