“Excellent food. Good service. Take advantage of the early bird menu if you can!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Silversmiths

Silversmiths
111 Arundel Street, Sheffield S1 2NT, England
0114 270 6160
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #158 of 1,080 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We visited Silversmiths on a Saturday evening and took advantage of the early bird menu which seemed too good to be true considering the savings it offered against the regular prices.

Our food was delicious, particularly the fish goujon starter, and the portions were generous. We had 3 courses each and were suitably stuffed by the end. There was also a great selection of ales (for my boyfriend) and non-alcoholic cocktails (for me, the driver!)

There was a nice atmosphere in the restaurant and service was friendly and welcoming.

We will definitely go back!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Sheffield
“Good hearty food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

We went to Silversmiths for a friend's birthday. The service and location were both great. The food isn't exactly fine dining but it is hearty and well cooked. Make sure you order side dishes though as your meal may be a little sparse without it. All in all a good meal and a great night out

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Beautifully cooked meals, the fish pie was delicious.
Even my husband, who likes a good plateful, came out full!
I was recommended this restaurant by a friend who had been there for her anniversary and I would recommend as well.
Great for couples.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Family meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Went on a busy Saturday night and had a lovely time. Service was attentive without being intrusive and everyone enjoyed their meals. I do not understand the negative reviews as all of us enjoyed the food nothing was overcooked or bland and the portions were very generous. It was my daughters second visit and she definitely wasn't disappointed. When we visit Sheffield again we will return

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Suffers from an identity crisis.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I went with my wife last night and had an expectation of an up market, fine dining experience.
Unfortunately it fell somewhat short..
We arrived early but were seated straight away.
The service at this stage was friendly, which let's be honest you would take as a given in any restaurant so no big tick there.
However, when the waitress asked how to spell Bellini and showed no knowledge of the wine list something didn't fit.
Confidence in the service further ebbed away when I asked the waitress for a recommendation on the food, and she said she liked the wedges.

Oh well, at this stage I am £20 down on a babysitter and £40 on taxis so we figured we would stay and give it a whirl.
We chose a bottle of sparkling English wine from Yorkshire from a drinks menu nicely scattered with local offerings and waited for the food. At this point I noticed the locally stamped cutlery which was a nice touch, but the paper napkin wasn't.

I opted for the soup to start, and it was excellent. Hope started to build momentarily, until i tried my wife's starter. There were plenty of flavours on the plate (according to the menu), but nothing could be tasted over the mackerel. We put this down to poor ordering and held out hopes of building on the soup success when the mains arrived.

My wife had the risotto and i had the lamb. Both were good, but not very good. And (whilst it is a small thing) I was surprised that the food was brought out whilst I was in the toilet. Still, it went down well, and inspired confidence in the dessert.

My wife had the crumble and I had the Eton mess and lemon meringue. Both again were good, but no better.

So far we had enjoyed bistro food, a local menu and relaxed if underwhelming service. As a fine dining experience it was a little under whelming. However, when the bill arrived we realised that we had set the wrong expectations. £45 for 3 courses for 2 people before drinks was great value. 2 fizzy cocktails and a bottle of fizz only added another £40.

Overall, if you are looking for fine dining and service, look elsewhere. If you are looking for a relaxed bistro experience it's pretty good. It wouldn't be hard to improve the service and atmosphere and create a belting restaurant but it isn't quite there yet.

Visited September 2013