“Busy place” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Busy place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Very busy on a Saturday night with a great range of beers and wines. Not the cheapest but a great atmosphere.

Visited April 2012

“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011 via mobile

My wife and I dined here for our 16th wedding anniversary, following a recommendation by some friends.

We were greeted at the bar by the owner of the restaurant, Jonnie, who was very welcoming and immediately made us feel special and relaxed.

We had the choice to eat in the bar area or upstairs in the beautifully furnished contemporary dining area. We chose to stay downstairs as it was a relatively quiet evening and felt the atmosphere was very pleasant - we could have moved upstairs at any point between courses if we had wished to - there was a real feeling that nothing would have been too much trouble.

Between courses Jonnie appeared, to ensure that we were being looked after by his staff, and to ensure that everything was to our satisfaction - all of which, by the way, was - the food was excellent and very well presented and the staff were extremely pleasant. At no point did this feel imposing and it seemed to us that this was typical 'service' one could expect from someone who cares about their clientele and takes great pride in the experience diners receive.

To help our experience feel even more special we received a complimentary bottle of wine from the house and after dinner coffees.

I would undoubtably recommend this restaurant to anyone, our night was on the verge of being magical and this was mostly down to the combination of good value, great food in a restaurant with a great atmosphere, very pleasant staff and a superb owner who went out of his was to make our visit extra special.

We will not be waiting for our 17th anniversary before returning, we plan to return much sooner and relish the experience again and again!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Good food, though not the full menu as advertised on the website.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

We went on a Friday evening, and were considering ourselves lucky that they had a table for the time we wanted, as when this was a regular haunt of ours it was always busy. When we got there at 2030hrs one couple were just leaving and there was a table of four Grande dames remaining - though I think they were having a very good time to themselves with all their shrieking and laughter (to the point that at times we couldn't hear ourselves over them some 30 feet away).

I have to say I was very disappointed in the menu as it was only a small subset of what they show online as being their menu - which had langoustine, oysters etc ,etc on it - and I was very much looking forward to trying them. In the end I ended up having the easy option of fillet steak with chips., my wife had a starter of confit of duck - which wasn't the most attractively presented leg of duck I've ever seen - tasted good though.

In their defence the menu I saw on line may well have been a sample menu with only "in season" produce being available on the day.

Had a lovely heady bottle of Barolo. The house champagne was good, and so was the port to finish.

I like West 10 (always have) - but I think on this visit they might have been having an off day - there just wasn't that zing that we've experienced in the past.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere