“Started off great; ended terribly” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 515 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Started off great; ended terribly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Visited Dolce Vita with a group of friends and we were all very excited to try it out. To begin with the service was great; starters and mains were authentic and delicious.

When we had finished our mains it took the staff 20 minutes to clear our plates, and that was only when we started stacking them. Although saying we wanted desserts the menu wasn't brought, we asked another waitress who subsequently forgot straight away and then the original waiter realised and brought them over!

It was a shame because we wanted more drinks and desserts, but no one came to take our order. In the end we tracked down a waiter & paid the bill to go elsewhere.

I would return for the food but I wouldn't rush back.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Reading, England
“Lovely people, food fine if what you want is on the menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

An Italian menu plus Greek hospitality - sounds perfect!

The welcome, service and attention were fantastic. (OK, the restaurant was quiet at the time but that's no guarantee of attention in many other places.) They even rustled up two Greek coffees - which weren't on the menu - when my Mrs and I mentioned liking them.

The food was not so special. A menu this long usually leaves you torn between several attractive options, but we struggled to find something we really wanted. The food turned out to be very well prepared - from quality ingredients, as far as we could judge - but that's not enough if you didn't really fancy the dish in the first place. So check the menus online before booking. Tip: read the descriptions carefully because meat dishes tended to be very meaty ... none of your five-a-day (unless you order vegetables separately).

The light and airy setting with a view over the Kennet riverside is attractive, and if it had been warmer I'm sure a table on the balcony would have been a treat. We'll go again, but not in a massive hurry.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Camberley, United Kingdom
“First time visit, won't be going back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was unimpressed by this Restaurant. Firstly the manageress couldn't keep her hands off anyone, which as a reserved English person was unwelcome and embarrasing.
My diet coke was flat, which they replaced with another one barely much better.
As part of a large group we had pre-ordered our food and I had specifically requested a well done burger. When I questioned this with the waiter, he said all the burgers were well done and served me a burger which was red in the middle so I sent it back.
As I was expecting it to be replaced with a freshly-cooked burger, I also asked if they could please leave out the mayonnaise this time.
What came back to me was the exact same burger (I had cut it in half so it was obviously the same one), clearly with the mayonnaise washed off and supposedly cooked some more but was still red in the middle.
I didn't want to spoil things for our large party so just ate the chips and left everthing else, but I won't be going back again.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Like a big hug!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We have been to the Dolce Vita on a number of occasions, as a couple, with friends with and without children. The lunch time specials are particularly delicious and on a sunny day you can sit outside. The first time we went there it we sat outside and had the sea bream, which was excellent. It was felt like we were back on holiday by the Mediterranean. The staff are very welcoming, especially the boss lady who makes the whole experience feel like a big hug. So much better than eating in the chain restaurants. Sometimes it can be quiet but that's probably because not many people know about it and because it is slightly off the beaten track.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Isle of Portland, United Kingdom
“High quality dining & excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was browsing trip advisor over the weekend and thought I'd like to come here. Luckily enough we stumbled across it so we went straight in after a cocktail from the cocktail bar downstairs!
It was very busy on Saturday night but there were a couple of spare two seated tables, I felt lucky!
We ordered a bottle of Prosecco which was lovely. We then shared a mushroom starter from the set menu, although we did not have the set menu and also shared a focaccia. They were both delicious and I knew we were in for an excellent evening. We had the same main which was fettuccine chicken and mushroom carbonara. This was delicious, creamy and quite a large portion. We both had tiramisu for pudding which was clearly home made and was the best one I've ever had! We then finished with coffees and of course a shot of limoncello!
The restaurant was very busy and it had a great atmosphere. It was full,of laughter and chatter, nice lightening created a perfect ambiance. The waiters were excellent.
If I am in Reading again I shall definitely return!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere