“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

+44 (0)118 957 4044
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Forburys is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #75 of 505 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: 5 minutes walk from the train station. 5 minutes walk from oracle shopping center Recommended taxi firm Top Cars 01189442222.
Description: Forbury's Restaurant is situated in the central square of a modern development opposite Forbury Garden in the centre of Reading; it has achieved many positive reviews since it opened along with a recommendation from Michelin in 2010, two AA Rosettes and inclusion in Harden's Top Ten Restaurants for 2007. The restaurant has been created by Xavier Le-Bellego whose name has become associated with fine food and dining.
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Was looking for somewhere to eat whilst in reading for the evening and after reading reviews went to look at the location and menu..food looked good so we asked to book a table as was greeted well by all the staff. We then then returned for our booked time and the whole experience was relaxing. .cocktails and a huge extensive wine list ...the food was superb. .quail..scallops..duck..turbot..was a wonderful evening. ..now planning the visit..maybe News Years Eve...made this evening a special occasion. .1 I shall remember for all the good reasons

• Visited November 2013

Reading, United Kingdom
“A most reliable restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We've eaten all over the place and in many countries. We have good and bad meals. But if we want to be sure and not in an adventurous mood (even if we are), we go to the Forburys! The standard here is always high and service good (they hired a new manager Thomas and he's just like icing on the cake), atmosphere relaxing and classy. Some of the negative reviews made us wonder if we're talking about the same restaurant! (There is a Cerise Restaurant inside the Forbury Hotel across the square.) From the beginning the amuse-bouche (it's usually a little cup of hot yummy soup here) warmed your stomach and heart and it only got better. It's wild mushroom season and I have the mushroom ravioli and it was delectable. The taste lingered. For main my husband and I shared the Chateaubriand, it was one of the best. The beef was so tender! They sourced good ingredients. Only the dessert was a bit disappointing. I chose the 'Chef's surprise' and usually I like the chef's choices but this evening not so much. They have very good wine by the glass too since I don't drink to share a bottle with my husband. We love the Forburys! This is our dining room if I don't feel like cooking!

• Visited October 2013
England, United Kingdom
“A bit disappointed :-(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

First of all, there should be a "good" option on Tripadvisor as the restaurant was better than "average" but not, in my opinion, "very good". There are great things about this restaurant: the location (central Reading on a beautiful square), the atmosphere (romantic, lovely light and music), the staff (very polite, friendly and professional) However, whilst you can not fault the food (fresh, tasty) it could have been better. The smoked salmon came without any toast or bread. Who wants to eat a slice of smoked salmon on its own? Same for the soup and for the cheese (ordered from the menu). Lovely brie but served with celery sticks. No bread, no cracker. For a French like me it was torture! Let's just stay it was a bit "light".

Visited October 2013
Reading, United Kingdom
“Always a pleasure at The Forbury Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant for over 7 years and never been disappointed. The owner Xavier even hosted my 40th birthday bash some years ago which was awesome.

I held a baby shower there last Saturday for my best friend and again everything was exceptional. The service is second to none and all the ladies had a wonderful afternoon. The chef did many different tapas dishes and the food was lovely, I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited October 2013
Reading
“Middle of the road”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Looks great and the service is generally fine. Food is on the whole ok although catering for large numbers is a challenge. They do try their best though.

Visited September 2013