“Excellent stay-at a discount rate ” 5 of 5 stars

You added Malmaison Reading to your Saves list
Malmaison Reading
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 - 20 Station Road, Reading RG1 1JX, England   |
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Reading
“Excellent stay-at a discount rate ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Great location. Very nice chic style.
Lively but classy bar on ground floor (if you don't fancy 'properly' heading out into surrounding town).Excellent consistent trained staff and breakfast v nice. Recommended at discounted price (but not rack rates of £300 per night!)

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear BathBoutiqueStays

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you enjoyed the breakfast, and the atmosphere in the bar.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in September over the weekend of our wedding.

It is an expensive hotel with a strong brand name which we felt would be a nice treat to celebrate a very special weekend. Unfortunately, it was largely disappointing and desperately overpriced for the experience it was.

The location is really convenient (about two mins away from the train station). Apart from location, I'm struggling to find many positives to write about this hotel.

The staff were largely apathetic in most cases. Our room didn't have electricity for about an hour and a half. After telling the lady on reception about this, it took two more phonecalls to find out that "she's looking into", before I had to call down to reception again to speak to her directly.
I'm pretty easy going at the best of times, but there was no urgency to address this and there was so much passing the buck telling me that she was getting her manager to look into it... then her manager was asking someone else to look into it. It required someone to flick a switch in the fuse box... but there was no apology for any inconvenience.

The rooms (we stayed in two different ones over the weekend) were very dark and this style might appeal to some. However, while the focus was on unique decor and creating a nice theme around vintage trains, the details such as a mattress which didn't fit the bed frame was one of many little things which made you wonder why the simple basics weren't sorted from the start.

A surprise cost of about £30 was whacked on our bill when checking out as we were informed that the cost of the breakfast on the second night wasn't included in the cost of the room. When we booked the upgraded room for the second night we were informed that the total cost would be £50 extra. The first night included breakfast and while we may've assumed incorrectly that this total upgrade cost didn't include breakfast, it wasn't clearly communicated to us either.

Overall, I really would urge others to avoid wasting their money on a hotel living off a strong brand name which just doesn't have much going for it apart from the fact that it's close to the train station.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear nevergetbored

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I’m sorry to read that your recent experience at the hotel did not meet your expectation. I am extremely sorry to hear about the inconvenience you had with an electrical breaker and the delay in having this resolved for you.

I’m also sorry to read that you found the room too dark, we are a dark and warm brand and this is not to everyone’s taste, we are also looking at plans to increase the amount of lighting in some key areas of the hotel.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Sidcup
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We recently booked the Italian Wine Evening and had a most enjoyable, informative evening. The food and wines were excellent and the staff, led by Richard Lockstone did a grand job, ensuring everyone had a good time.
We stayed in 'The Rocket' room which was beautifully appointed - perhaps the lighting could have been better as my wife went down to dinner wearing odd earrings (well, that's her excuse!)
Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear MGmidget34

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you enjoyed the Italian wine evening, we have also just confirmed the wine dinners for next year so check out the website for more information! Thank you for your comments on the Rocket studio suite which is a fantastic room.

HUNGARY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stayed one night due to a business meeting in Reading. In summary:

Positives:
1) Location. It's opposite the railway station, which is a 30min commute into London. Served this purpose perfectly.
2) Pleasant welcome and service. No issues getting the room or a drink early morning before leaving.
3) Rooms were spacious & well laid out. The bed was comfortable, shower had plenty of hot water and all the basic amenities were in the room. I didn't see an issue with the number of channels on the TV.
4) I didn't use the restaurant or bar. But it looked busy enough and while I was located at the front of the hotel, the noise level wasn't a problem.
5) WIFI worked without issues in the room.

Negatives:
1) The hotel was a little "worn" in places, this being most evident on the carpets, elevators and several walls. It could do with some basic renovation work.
2) Rooms were well lit overall & comfortable. But there were dark spots, particularly around the desk/cupboards. So if you want to work, take your own light with you! Also, when entering the room, the card slot to activate the light wasn't next to the entrance door. So you had to grope around in the dark for a minute in order to locate it. Annoying.
3) It was 150 GBP room only. This appears a little expensive all considered.
4) Breakfast starts at 6.30am. I would have assumed that many of the guests would be commuting into London for flights etc...either way, seemed a little late to start for breakfast.

Overall it was a satisfactory stay. No major issues and very comfortable room. I would use again if I needed to be in Reading, although I wouldn't recommend to friends etc for personal use at 150 GBP per night (room only).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear PHILIPMARSHALL

Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed constructive review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you found the service to be very pleasant. Your negative points are all understood, in reference to the room rate, our rates do vary depending on the night of the week and the demand, so it’s best to check the website for offer nights. With regards to breakfast we do offer a continental breakfast tray that can be ordered before 6:30am.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

From the moment we entered the hotel the service was shocking. I dropped my partner off outside the hotel while I went to park at the recommended NCP car park. When I returned she was angry the way she had been spoken to and look upon. Perhaps this was because of my partners Birmingham accent. Despite being sent an email about an upgrade, no rooms were available to upgrade to, so there was no point sending the email. I was bluntly told I should have read the 'terms and conditions'. Due to the level of service and snobbery at the reception we declined to eat in the brasserie that we had booked online and we ate elsewhere. We also won't be eating breakfast that was included in the price. There was certainly a snobbery factor to the hotel despite we us staying in the likes of the Madinat in Dubai, Shangri La in Singapore and the Amari group hotels around the world this is the worst hotel we have stayed in within the uk. Other than fixtures a Travelodge offers a better service other than comfort. I will not be recommending this group or hotels.

I specifically also requested a quiet room in advance having read Tripadvisor reviews and despite this we were put in room 116 at the front of the hotel underneath the bar on the 1st floor. Quiet didn't even come into the description!

Had we not had drank alcohol we would have driven back to Warwickshire this evening. This was a completely ruined weekend that was a 2 hour drive. Thank you MalMaison.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SUA1971

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I’m sorry to read that your recent experience at the hotel did not meet your expectation. I have investigated the issues you highlighted in your review and can confirm that the receptionist whom you spoke to did not in any way intend to give you this impression.

In reference to the room, 116 is positioned above a private dining room and this is a superior room. It does have external windows facing the station and the corner of the hotel however this room is not typically affected by external noise. We can only apologise that this room wasn't quiet for your stay.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Visited Reading with my partner to meet up with friends. Impressed from the moment I walked in, the reception area had changed since my last visit and the reception staff were most welcoming. After a quick change in our room we met friends in the bar and the atmosphere was fantasitc. Vibrant but not loud, cocktails and champagne flowing - relaxed feel yet fun.
The room was wonderful with a nice welcoming card from the general manager and of course a fantastic breakfast I have come to expect in a Mal!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear LJW2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m also very pleased to read that you enjoyed the great atmosphere in the bar and that the Champagne was flowing! Glad to hear that you enjoyed the ‘Mal’ breakfast experience too!

Middlesex, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We booked this hotel as a late Anniversary getaway for just 1 night. We booked a dinner, bed and breakfast deal which was excellent value. The staff at check in were extremely attentive and helpful and we were checked in quickly and efficiently. We were allocated a fabulous room. It was huge and very comfortable and way better than I had imagined it would be.
We had a table booked for dinner in the brasserie so had a couple of cocktails in the bar before hand which was very pleasant. The food was excellent. My only criticism was that over the course of the meal we were waited on by 5 different people. This meant that when the bill came out for me to sign they were not aware that we had dinner included so they had to go away and make an adjustment. Not a huge issue but one that could have been avoided.
We chose to have breakfast in our room and as well as being fresh and appetising it was beautifully presented.
I would definitely stay here again. Thanks.

Room Tip: The superior room was huge.