“Nice stay, nice hotel, nice service .... It was nice (no more and no less).” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Malmaison Reading

You added Malmaison Reading to your Saves list
Malmaison Reading
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 - 20 Station Road, Reading RG1 1JX, England   |
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Reading
London, United Kingdom
“Nice stay, nice hotel, nice service .... It was nice (no more and no less).”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed on a Saturday night. Had reserved a one bedroom suite as we're staying with the kids. They had us booked into a studio suite which they tried to convince me was the same thing - it isn't. A one bed suite has a separate bedroom and a studio suite has a sofa stuffed into an odd corner of the bedroom.

Anyway we moved to two interconnecting rooms which was a much better result with more space. The rooms were on the first floor facing the front and were large with great bathrooms.

The hotel is well designed and enjoyable. Highlight was cocktails in the Malbar before dinner which we enjoyed.

Service was fine - no more or less.

Rooms were noisy in early hours from street noise and again from dustcarts early morning.

Parking is awful. NCP down the hill is only option and you can't even stop outside hotel to drop bags.

Breakfast was excellent with homemade products and good full English but really really slow service which us fine if not in a hurry.

Would I stay there again - hopefully not !! But would I still go to another Malmaison - certainly.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with a group of friends after attending a wedding nearby and was impressed by the standard of the hotel for the price (£90 with breakfast). The rooms were well proportioned, modern and well maintained, and had large bathrooms with all the amenities you would expect.

With the exception of a relatively slow check-in/check-out service at the front desk I cannot fault the Reading Malmaison. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Not expensive but in much need of a face lift! Very central in Reading but if you are in a room facing the main road, you may not get much sleep when it's closing time. Staff at reception very friendly but not very knowledgeable. Make sure you bring your own hair dryer as the one in the room was not fit for purpose. We were late for dinner as it kept over heating when my wife 'tried' to dry her hair. Bistro food quite good but service poor and very little atmosphere. It's been a long time since we've visited a Malmaison and we're not planning to go back in the near future.

Oxfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Ok, having only booked last min on the summer offer deal was not expecting too much.
My husband and I wanted to have a night off from children and enjoy a meal without interruption.
This is exactly what we had!
Easy check-in
Room was fab! def. would ask for this room again great size, bath was huge and was as the quietest hotel room ever stayed in (207)
Restaurant was busy however they managed to sort us a table and food was very tasty, steak cooked just right!
So if you want a night off or to treat someone check out the summer offer on their main website!

Room Tip: note don't stay in room facing station as nightclub next door ;-))
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is amazing!! I would live here if I could! Room & service very fast & very clean. Staff have no problem helping out, quite expensive but worth it. Defiantly get what you pay for! Location very easy to find & in the heart of Reading. I would recommend for anyone to stay here. I stayed as was my birthday, so was a treat & I didn't want to leave!!

• Stayed March 2013
Marlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Let me start by saying that we love this hotel,it's different from any hotel that we have ever stayed in. We love the atmosphere and it's a very romantic place to stay. The service is 1st class and the food is great too but here's the problem...

We stayed in room 306 and as it's been hot recently we had the windows open. What we hadn't realise is that there is a late bar/club right underneath this side of the building and the noise is unbelievable. It really is like your in the club with them.

To be fair, I mentioned this to the lady on reception (should have got her name - she was from Liverpool and really professional) and she did offer to move us but the hotel was nearly full and all she could offer us was a tiny room which I declined. She did offer us a complimentory drink in the bar which was appreciated. We stayed up late as it was so the noise did not affect us too much but if you wanted an early night, it would have been impossible.

To end on a positve. The staff are great, the food is great, the hotel has a great atmosphere and location and we would come back for a third visit, but not to stay on that side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Not near the late bar.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Made a last minute booking at the Malmaison in Reading, considered other local hotels such as Novotel (more expensive), Premier Inn (similar price), but decided on this one as it was close to the train station and appeared to have everything needed for an impromptu overnight stay on business. Booked a deal with a Superior double room with continental breakfast. The chap on reception was pleasant, efficient and very helpful. As noted by others, the hotel is quite dark, but this wasn't a problem for me. The room was modern, clean and comfortable; a good sized bathroom with bath and rain shower, and good toiletries on offer, and the large bed was great, with the dark blackout curtains meaning I wasn't woken at 5.00am as the sun came up! The evening meal in the Brasserie was a pleasant affair, not too crowded, served quickly by friendly staff, and a good choice of food available. I ordered just a main course, and was told this was likely to take about 30 minutes, so I decided to order a starter to nibble on in the meantime, but it turned out that my main meal arrived very quickly - the cynic in me may say this was a ploy to get me to order a starter - but nevertheless, the starter was very nice too, so I wasn't too troubled by this! Drinks were expensive, as expected in a good city centre hotel. Breakfast the next day was great, I upgraded to the full English for an extra £2 (it would be rude not to!) and it was worth it, very nice breakfast indeed which set me up for the busy day ahead. All in all, a good experience and somewhere I would stay again if all of the rooms are of the same quality.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Malmaison Reading? Share your experiences!