“Easter Relax” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 - 20 Station Road, Reading RG1 1JX, England   |
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Reading
“Easter Relax”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed here for a night needing a last minute gettaway close by!
Check in was good although not very comprehensive and when we asked for a quiet room this wasn't done so I had to ask again.
The room was nice, clean and quirky (322 has an upstairs bathroom!).
Dinner was a little average, the worst thing was that the tables are too big so you can't hear each other, there also too close together - we were essentially sharing conversations with our neighboroughing table... not good when they were grumpy and dissappointed.

Breakfast was amazing! first class! loved everything about it... stayed at 5 stars and this is comparable.

Great location for shopping, Shame about the car park - it's a dump and i would not want to have to park up at night there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Hodson11,

Thank you for your feedback, we love breakfast here too, afterall its the only place where you can get a BIG MAL!

Sorry for the grumpy people on the table next to you, hopefully we'll do better for them as well as you next time.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Paul Watson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Swindon, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed here as a special treat & have been very disappointed.
The staff were excellent, exceptionally polite & attentive and the room itself was of a very high standard - exceptionally clean and well maintained as you'd expect.
The location we knew wasn't ever going to be breathtaking (being right next door to an NCP car park, kebab shop and train station) however as we had intended not to go elsewhere this did not matter.
However having dined (and stayed) in the Leeds and Birmingham Malmaisons i assumed this would be equally as good but this is where we were wrong.
The food was incrediably average. The steak was very over-cooked and dry, the chips shrivelled and the infamous 'mal burger' chewy and overdone with a dry roll.
Presentation of this wasnt much better having just been slopped onto the plate and the cheese board for dessert was nice but not at all like the others I had tried elsewhere.
Maybe the others were exceptional and this is the norm but I have to say we came away feeling very ripped off, paying over the odds for very average food.
Without wishing to be offensive, we also found the bar area to be almost seedy... lots of older men entertaining very young women!! It was massively busy and not at all the same sort of atmosphere i have experienced in other Malmaisons.
Its a real shame as they are fabulous hotels and its tainted my view of them somwhat. I def wouldnt recommend this to anyone else.

Room Tip: Only stay if they are offering an excellent deal on dining!! or go room only and eat elsewhere!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear ESKE1974_14

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your feedback.

First and foremost, i was delighted to read that you found the staff excellent and the room to your satisfaction.

I was however very disappointed to read of your poor dining experience, please accept my sincere apologies and assurances this is not reflective of our usual feedback. I will speak with my chef directly with regard to this and i hope that you will benefit the next time you come and stay.

I must say i was very surprised to read you final comments with regard to the bar. This is an area i will watch closely over the coming weeks as it is certainly not the lasting impressino we'd like to give of our bar and hotel experience.

I hope that we will see you again soon.

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed at Malmaison Reading for business trip, I used to stay in Reading and this was my first time at Malmaison. I like the hotel a lot, it has a perfect location close to the rail station and TVP bus stop and close to the hear of reading center. The reception, restaurant and hotel looks very nice. Fast internet connection for business users.
The hotel and its service are remarkable, unlike the very standard 4*,5* hotels. The hotel staff are friendly and professional, they manage to resolve an issue in our booking even after we quit the hotel.

I have two concerns, It takes 20 minutes to get an fried egg during breakfast. And room is very dark.

If I am going to visit Reading soon, I will choose Malmaison.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ahmed H,

Thank you for your feedback, I was pleased to hear you had a good stay. I was also delighted that we were able to resolve the billing issue once you had left.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night I won't forget. Great room, comfy bed and a delicious spread on offer. Best of all though was the service from the supremely attentive staff. Nothing was too much for them; far from looking strangled they responded magnificently to every request. Wonderfully accommodating.

CW

• Stayed March 2013
Dear ClarenceWorley,

Wow, thank you. I was absolutely ecstatic to read your feedback, we certainly try and go above and beyond for all of our guests so was pleased to hear about this in action.

Come back soon.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I wasn't aware of the 'Malmaison' chain of hotels before booking the one in Reading for a business trip recently. They are marketed as hotels 'that dare to be different'. The differences are not drastic, however - a few witty messages on notices, low lighting and dark colours everywhere, so the atmosphere is a bit gloomy. The Reading hotel is an ex-railway hotel, and just across the road from the station, which couldn't have been more convenient for me. Most of the pictures in the hotel are of various parts of railway locomotives, which are consistent with the railway connections I suppose.
Rooms are comfortable and well equipped, including wifi and wired internet access and minibar. Only downside was small TV with very limited channels. Breakfast service was excellent, dinner menu looked interesting, but somewhat expensive so I ate elsewhere.
I wouldn't use this place for a family break, but would recommend it otherwise, especially for those travelling by rail.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear SriBank,

Thank you for your review, I wa really pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and you thoroughly enjoyed the service. Just to let you know for your next visit, we do have a number of specials and run pre-fixe menus from only £15.95 for two courses on most nights so please look out for those if you're on a limited corporate budget.

We look forward to seeing you again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Our company recently moved to the Reading area so I have been looking for a hotel to use. The big plus for the Malmaison is that it is (literally) across the street from the train station. After taking a train/Eurostar/taxi/train trip from Europe the last thing I wanted was another taxi ride.
The hotel is trying hard to be designer (e.g. your bill is labelled The Damage). Think of a very English version of Starwood's W chain. Rooms were big, shower had the most pressure I have ever had in an English hotel. I hope the rooms were clean but as all the bulbs in the entire place are about 50 watts it is impossible to tell.
Free wifi is a bigplus. It was fine for email etc but not good enough for skype/viber.
No gym is a pain (but they have some sort or arrangement with a local gym).
There were a couple of starbucks type coffee places 1 minute up the road, and it is walking distance to The Oracle shopping centre should that be an attraction.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear boy4life,

Thank you for taking the time to write your great review, one which even i found very helpful! I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and we can look forward to seeing you in the hotel again. Please do let me know when you are next here, i would be delighted to buy you a drink.

Kind Regards

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed in the Mallard suite in the basement. The suite was amazing, loved the design. The best part was the bath, it was huge! 2 people can easily fit in, and relax whilst watching the TV in the bathroom! Absolutely loved the bath.

As the suite is in the basement, we could constantly hear people walking on the floor above, this was very irritating and meant we woke up early the next morning. The TV channels were also a let down. Only about 7 channels and a couple were fuzzy so the entertainment wasn't good.

I also tried to call room service twice and no one answered which was pretty bad service seeing as we paid £230 for the night.

I would stay again as the suite and the bath were incredible but i would definitely complain about the TV next time.

Dear Lizzie C,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback following your stay.

We are currently going through the process of upgrading all of the TVs within the hotel, i will personally review the TV in the Mallard (since i love that bath too!). Hopefully we can have that changed for when we see you next time.

Paul Watson

Been to Malmaison Reading? Share your experiences!