“Awful everything” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Reading Lake Hotel

You added The Reading Lake Hotel to your Saves list
The Reading Lake Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pingewood, Reading RG30 3UN, England (Formerly Copthorne Hotel Reading)   |
Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Reading
Wallingford
“Awful everything”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Rubbish rude staff , decor from 1980,s. Clearly no money has been spent on upkeep of rooms . The "lake " is actually a man made gravel pit that is quite comical due to the face most rooms face this puddle . Breakfast was a farce - seriously avoid this five plenty of premier inns nearby

• Stayed November 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here for just one night, the hotel is pleasant enough although a little tired. Room was nice and clean with a comfortable bed. Breakfast is advertised as being served between 6.30am and 10.00am. I arrived for breakfast at 9.48am, and was told that I was too late!I pointed out the time, and was begrudgingly served. The shutters on the main servery were down and I had to make 2 requests before my coffee was served. 2 members of staff mentioned that I was late (which I wasn't). Perhaps they should cange the time to 9.30am if they all want to run out of the door at 10.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Stirling, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Was here recently for a business trip. Overall was happy with the hotel and would go back. The hotel is a bi toff the beaten track in as much as you can be in the middle of the M4 corridor and had I not had my sat-nav I think I would have been doubting the road in ,
My room was overlooking the lake and I have to say if I was here in summer I would imagine it would be stunning. Wish i had a fishing rod with me- next time! :-)
The restaurant was fine for dinner, service was very good and the food ( I had steak) was cooked as I like it.
Breakfast was a bit ordinary though i am not much of a cooked breakfast eater , I just tend to have fresh fruit when on holiday, but the choice was a bit limited on this front. They ask you if you want Tea or coffee and bring this to your table.
The rooms though were a bit tired. Mines had a few problems. The toilet didn't flush consistently for no obvious reason, I once had to flush it by filling the waste paper bin with water and pouring it in the bowl. i wasn't going to go ask the reception for help with the contents of the bog staring me in the face! Sometimes though it worked no problem at all.
One of the electrical sockets was broken in the room and I am sure this is something that should be picked up and reported by the cleaners day to day. I meant to say on my way out at reception but it slipped my mind. But where electrical safety is involved you shouldnt have to if regular inspections are in place.
The TV was a bit rubbish too. Its pretty small by modern hotel standards and had a weird dated menu system that continually kept coming up even when i thought I was in TV mode. Lucky i had a laptop with me and there is free wifi so i used it to access netflix with no problems.
But wouldnt worry me to stay again, fine as a short business stay hotel in unusual surroundings.

Room Tip: Get a lake view.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A tired ex Copthorn hotel which is today no more than an aspiring travelling salesman's hotel .(Max rating would be a borderline 2/3 Star) I didn't see any sign of a pool or fitness centre.
There is no elegence or class anywhere and in general it all looks a bit beige, old and knocked about. The lift didn't work fully and non working butttons had been blocked off with black/yellow hazard tape. But the check-in lady was fine and my room was clean the hot water was very hot and the shower pressure was great.There were adequate tea/coffee facilities in the room and the TV was old fashioned lumpy design with burnt out colour display and limited to the ususual 4-5 terrestial channels. A leaking towel radiator in the bathroom had been temporarily fixed with brown insulating tape which was peeling off. I slept well in the clean bed. The breakfast was quite adequate though and the on-duty chef willingly fried me an egg and went to the trouble of warming a plate for me ( a rare thing even in a real 4 or 5 star hotel these days) which went well with the full english menu coffeeand toast (all hot and tasty). In all honesty you wouldn't hold a wedding there (although lobby advertising seems to suggest they welcome such occasions) but for one night it was fine...It is over priced for what they offer at the moment. Not really worth more than about £80-90 a night max!

UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I agree the location is lovely with the lake but that is it! Have never stayed in such a dreadful hotel...staff were completely disinterested and unprofessional in approach and appearance .smells damp needs a drastic update....I did not have breakfast so cannot comment on that...thankfully only paid £49pn still I feel robbed.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Ashford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in November 2014 and the service was disgusting! Staff are aggressive and rude and the decor is old and needs updating, Doors don't lock and the windows are not safe. Plumbing for sinks and loos hanging off walls and no TV in rooms. Don't stay here!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel!
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

Nice and peacful location. Loved the balcony I had from my room. However, room was a little tired and needed some updating, along with the bathroom. Shower was not very powerful.

Food in the restaurant was good and had adequate service.

I enjoyed seeing the ducks on the lake from my bedroom in the morning.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Reading Lake Hotel? Share your experiences!