“Twin room didnt exist for us!” 2 of 5 stars

Mercure George Hotel Reading
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10-12 King St., Reading RG1 2HE, England   |
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in Reading
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Twin room didnt exist for us!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We booked 6 weeks in advance and instead of a twin room received a double and a rock hard sofa bed - complained only to be advised we were given an upgrade to an executive room, funnily enough none of the things in an exec room existed in ours so a complaint has been made in writing. The hotel overall seemed ok - reception was friendly, bar extremely noisy and so ate out. Our room was rather cold as it was a large room and the hotel turned the heating off at midnight so we froze for most of the night when it was minus figures outside. Couldnt fault the location at all as it is right next to the Oracle and superb for a shopping break.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
Purley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My room was booked by a Corporate Client for a 1 night stay.

It is generally OK, without being anything special. Good central location with pleasant array of nearby shops & restaurants. Parking is in nearby Queens Rd NCP - all very easy, but do need to know way to hotel (only few minutes). Overnight rate is very reasonable at £3.50. Traffic in Reading is a nightmare though, so even very short journeys at busy times will take ages.

The hotel is OK. My room was adequate, generally clean & quiet and of reasonable size, though bathroom was relatively small. Furnishings are adequate, though rather old fashioned & tired.

Service was friendly & eficient. The breakfast was good & well priced at £12.50.

Would be happy to stay again (if on business trip) & a central location was required.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
thank you for posting your thoughts on here , we really value your feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Mercure George Reading in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Bang slap in the centre of Reading, next to the railway station and with a car park 3 minutes walk away. Food on the poor side of average in terms of choice and execution, but no need go eat in as so many alternatives within easy walking distance. Patisserie Valerie is opposite and open in time for breakfast for all but the earliest of early birds. Beautiful old building with bags of character, though this is reflected in the reliability of hot water and lack of lifts. I got afree room upgrade, but frankly I would rather a smaller room in a quieter part of the hotel. Am here on a business course, and had no trouble with noise last week but this week am at the front of the building facing the road (noisy buses and trucks), over the bar (noisy TV) and under the room of someone who seems to want to wander round at all hours of the day and night (squeaky floorboards). Was woken at 3.45am by what sounded like a skip being filled in the street outside. I'm sure it wasn't, but can't work out what was going on at that time in the morning!

It's fine for what it is, but I recommend asking for a quiet room when you check in.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit to The Mercure George in Reading.
I have noted your comments

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

First the good things - service was friendly and helpful. They really seemed like they tried their best when responding to questions. The location was central, handy for shops and convenient to travel from. The building and area outside the entrance looks really charming. The larger rooms which one pays extra for, have lovely high ceilings

Issues - Our room, though well-sized was noisy (despite pre-booking a supposedly quiet room). Several times through the night we could hear people downstairs getting rid of bottles and chatting away, which meant our sleep was interrupted. Buses kept howling past. The room was drafty. We found a rather suspicious white stain on the cushion cover (the receptionists apologised). During the night, the heating switched itself off (no electronic or modern controls), despite the radiator being on full. I have noticed this before at the Mercure in Leicester - there seems to be a trend of centrally switching off the heating in the middle of the night for all guests. This is ridiculous in a supposedly updated 4 star hotel in a modern city in the middle of autumn/winter. We paid for a significantly more expensive package so we could access ; the description also mentioned a king-sized bed, a fruit basket and luxury toiletries. When we reached the room the internet was only in cable form (not entirely clear from the description). Wifi was only available in the lobby (a bit of a nuisance). The bed was just barely kingsize if at all. The fruit basket was absent and is actually a bar of basic milk chocolate from marks and spencer (rather than even a more expensive nice bar) and the luxury toiletries are not luxurious by any standards.
I'm really not impressed by this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
I am sorry to hear that your stay at The Mercure George was not up to your expectations and was pleased to read that you found the service to be friendly and helpfull.

I will look into your comments personally

Newton Abbot UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Having stayed at many Accor hotels in UK and Europe this was by far the poorest. I only wish i had read what the other reviewers had said about accessing the hotel, it must be the most inaccessible hotel ever. Don't rely on the satnav to find your way! The fact is that the hotel makes no attempt to tell you how difficult it is to get there. I asked for a disabled room as my wife has limited mobility but when we got lost and rang for directions was directed immediately to the car park with the preferential rate and told it was not possible to drive to there. We went to the car park and walked with the bags on arrival noticing that it WAS possible to drive there to drop off but not leave the car- well we knew that much. On pointing this out at reception we got the reply: Who told you that? The receptionist said we had been "upgraded" but was a disabled room that happened to be accessible and was an executive room with scuffed wallpaper backing on to the yard. A nice touch we thought was when the recycled beer bottles were cascaded into a skip at 11.15 p.m.! At breakfast as there was no hot food to choose from I asked for a menu- no menu- English breakfast only I was told and that there were no alternatives. Reasonable cooked breakfast, tired alternatives of cash and carry cheese and ham but there was some fresh fruit but coffee out of a machine. This is now a habit in many hotels, whatever happened to freshly made coffee in a jug? I echo the previous comments about the heating being turned off it was parky getting up in the night as I am of a certain age! Accor/Mercure can usually can do better than this.........

Room Tip: If you are in a wheelchair I would give this one a miss
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
I am sorry on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay and i would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the mix up regarding car parking and drop off.

I can assure you that we only use reputable suppliers and local produce for breakfast.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Check-in was friendly , but everything else was very poor.
I have stayed in hotels in many countries over 17 years and this was the second worst hotel I have ever stayed in .
Room was not clean when I arrived (especially bathroom) and was not cleaned thoroughly over the next couple of days to a professional standard.
Decor is tired and the automatic air freshners are overwhelming.
No parking onsite.
Tiny single bed .
Shower was not hot in the morning , but is ok in the evening.
Didnt try the breakfast , or food . I was a bit scared to .
Dont be tempted by the downtown location,

Room Tip: Dont bother
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay at The Mercure George Hotel in Reading and will investigate your comments.

Worthing
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

It was not by choice that I arrived at the Hotel. It was booked by a Company on my behalf. I rang the Hotel prior to my arrival to enquire about car parking facilities as I knew space is at a premium in Reading. I was advised to use the Queens Road multi-storey car park which is approximately a 5 minute walk away from the hotel (timing depends on how fast you walk). I was also advised not to arrive at the car park before 16.00hrs if I was to take advantage of their overnight parking discount (£5 instead of £15). The Hotel entrance is set back from the main road through an archway/alley. Your nose is immediately bombarded by the smell of coffee from the Coffee shop which is connected to the archway. Entering the Hotel you find yourself in a small reception area with very little seating. However with the deep red carpet and the smiling faces of the gorgeous receptionists made the area feel very warm. The attention from the Receptionist was excellent and I was swiftly on my way climbing the creaky wooden staircase to my room. There were no lifts that were immediately visible. The designated non smoking room was clean and basic. A comfortable bed but the pillows were a bit harder than I would have liked. Flat screen tv with several channels. The bathroom was clean with combined bath and shower. The glass swinging panel was less than useless as when the shower was run the water poured between the panel and the batah and flooded the bathroom floor.
Once settled in the room I made my way down to the bar area which doubled as the Breakfast Room and Restaurant. Small but adequate. Bar staff were attentive and amenable to my request for my bottled beer to be not taken from the fridges but from the warmer storeroom. The alcohol prices were not that much higher than most chain run pubs these days so that was a bonus. The Restaurant menu was not huge but was interesting. I settled for a starter of cheese and mushroom bake with a crispy garlic topping. It was to die for! The main meal, a curry was also excellent and plenty of it.. I was rudley awoken at 06.00hrs by the TV bursting into life, obviously the previous occupant had set the TV as an alarm clock. Most inconsiderate of him/her not to cancel it. There was plenty of choice at breakfast but the scrambled egg was far from being presentable let alone eatable. On leaving the hotel I was given a car park voucher in order to claim the parking discount.

Main disappointments : On return in the evening I found that the tv was not working. I advised Reception but the gent failed to follow it up and I was without tv all night.
The Internet was provided at a cost which I felt was expensive. £7.99 for 24hrs. In this day and age I would expect hotels to provide their customers with free wifi, there being many free hotspots nearby.
All in all a very pleasant hotel and I would return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at The Mercure George Hotel in Reading I was glad to read that you found the staff to be pleasent.

Stuart Hall

Been to Mercure George Hotel Reading? Share your experiences!