“Poor service” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #170 of 515 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Browns ReadingRubbing shoulders with chic boutiques and vibrant galleries, Browns Reading is the perfect place to soak up the cultural buzz of Berkshire’s well-connected hub.Whether at work or play, Browns offers a uniquely relaxing atmosphere. Unwind over a plate of freshly cooked, modern food. Start your weekend in style with one of our expertly mixed cocktails. Or reward the day’s efforts with a glass of what you fancy from our well-chosen wine and beer rangeLook at the map and our contact details to see how to find us.
Wokingham, Berkshire
“Poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Sat upstairs with friends for a meal on a Friday night, we had to shout to speak above the noise of music and a very busy bar downstairs. The service was really slow, we kept asking for a drink, the food was very slow. Food was nice but not very hot and several meat dishes were tough and dry.
Browns need to make up their mind, are they a nightclub or a restaurant, I have never eaten in such a noisey restaurant, we al left with sore throats and other tables also found it impossible to talk.
Very disappointed and nothing like other Browns restaurants for atmosphere and service.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Reading, United Kingdom
“Just had Sunday lunch here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Very busy, noisey & had to move table because we were crammed in.They were short staffed so we waited longer tham usual for our meals but when it arrived it was worth the wait.We had two rib of beef & one chicken lunch, as well as one fish & chips
Good piano player during our lunch & on the riverside. Will visit again.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Reading, Berkshire
“Excellent Bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

My fiancé and I went here for a few drink before going for an anniversary dinner.

As we entered we were greeted by a very polite waiter, to the left is the bar area and to the right and upstairs is the restaurant area. The drink are a little more expensive than some of the other bars in the area but it's well worth it. The food also looked great, plenty of staff on hand as well.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Reading, United Kingdom
“Customer Care ??”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We visited this restaurant on Friday 22nd June 2012 we had not booked but it was only 7pm and got a table very easily. We were shown to a small table for two but asked to be moved to a small booth for two this request was denied the waitress said it was reserved. Strange though as during the hour we were there it remained empty! I ordered fillet steak and my husband a burger neither of us were asked how we would like our meat cooked so we volunteered the information. I requested my steak medium and my husband his medium rare, this proved to be a waist of time as both came without even a trace of pink! The waitress did return after we were served our food to ask how it was but we had not started to eat at that point so asked if she could return and ask us again shortly, she never did! The fillet steak was tiny, I am not a big eater but it was only four mouthfuls and cost £23. I know fillets are small but this was the extreme. With lots of other restaurants to choose from in Reading we wont be returning to Browns any time soon.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Durrington, United Kingdom
“Good food, terrible service, diabolical coffee, so noisy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

This was a belated Father's Day meal with 2 of my children and my partner. My daughter and her husband had recommended the food so we thought it worth trying out. I booked for 5 online for a Saturday night and all started off well on our arrival. Please note that if you book for 7:30pm or earlier, you are expected to vacate your table after 2 hours so they can get another cover seated.
The booth we sat in was upstairs and spacious enough for 6 but the noise from other diners was so invasive that we had to talk very loudly to be heard. Our waitress saw to us promptly and our drinks and food arrived quite quickly considering the place was very busy. Unfortunately, that was the last we saw of our waitress for more than an hour!
Prior to this, I ordered drinks which included a beer for my 16 year old son. Under the law, a 16 or 17 year old may have alcohol in a licensed restaruant providing they are accompanied by someone over 18. That said, the waitress and the manageress refused to serve him saying it was company policy. Why Browns think they can flout the law is beyond me so I will pursue this further. The manageress said it was true for all under the chain that Browns comes under - which is a lie as Harvester are supposed to be the same and he has never been refused in any of those restaurants he has been into.
So we ate our meal which was very good indeed but then it all went downhill. As said before, our waitress must have been whisked off to another planet as she was nowhere to be seen for over an hour. We tried to get the attention of other servers but they were so so busy that no one was looking to see to the needs of diners that had finished. We were not alone in this as other tables were waiting just as long as we were. We waited 20 minutes to get another round of drinks and nearly 20 minutes to get our table cleared.
Then it was time for dessert which we ordered and it came back quickly and was very tasty. At the same time we ordered coffee and asked for the bill in the hope that we wouldn't have to wait an age again. The coffee came and it was absolutely dreadful! The espresso was the most bitter I have ever come across and was cold. The hot chocolate was luke warm as was the cappuccino which also tasted very bitter. And guess what? No bill to be seen anywhere. Another 15 minutes passed before we could get the bill and complain about the coffee which we said we wanted off the bill. I noted other diners getting very agitated with the lack of service too.
Finally, the bill came and it was at least correct but then I noticed something else which is absolutely outrageous - 10% service charge for tables of 5 or more people!!! What service? I will ring their head office if I can get a number for them and complain bitterly - as bitterly as their coffee!!!
So to sum up - don't go on Saturday evenings unless you are really into noise and bad service. Do go when it is quieter as the food is very good. If you are more than 4 people, go as 2 or more groups and pay separately to avoid the service charge. What a diabolical liberty that is...on a final note, if you are near to the Windsor Browns Restaurant then go there as it is far better all round. A terrace and views over the river and castle - awesome!

• 4 of 5 stars Food