“Hostel not Hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Reading
Nottinghamshire
“Hostel not Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Well, well, well. I really wish I could start on a positive but I am afraid I can't.
Upon arriving at the accommodation (not really fit to be given the title as hotel) the receptionist gave us the keys to our room and pointed to the direction the room was in (note: not shown to the room) after walking in different directions for about 20 minutes we reached the roof of the building and I was not impressed with the smell. At first both my husband and myself thought it was someone who had got something cooking until we opened the door to our room...... Bam! Egg, rotton smelly egg! I couldn't believe it! The light bulb was so dim we could hardly see. There was an iron mark on the carpet and a single bed and double bed in the room. I asked my husband to look in the bathroom as I was finding it hard to breathe with how hot it was in the room along with the smell, it was just horrid. I phoned the receptionist to tell him how appalled I was at the state of the room and he said he would pop up to see what we were so disappointed in. After half an hour of waiting the receptionist came into the room and my husband told him to go in the bathroom where he was faced with unflushed poo in the toilet and a shower. I would be frightened of using as the amount of mould and mildew was a health hazard. Even the receptionist said that it was disgusting and promised to find us a twin room more suitable. We had to tell the receptionist we were married and what's more I was pregnant so we did not want a room on the ceiling like this one. After an hour of waiting in the smelly room the receptionist took us to 3 more rooms all in horrific states and when asked if this really was a hotel or a hostel for homeless people he said "yes, we do have long term residents living with us" to which my husband asked him if he would pay to sleep in these conditions his reply (unsurprising) "no sir, I wouldn't". He did however find us a lovely room on the ground floor with a brand new bathroom in and nice clean walls he even said "get yourself settled and I will meet you in the bar what would you like as a complementary drink." what a nice gesture 1 orange and lemonade 1 Magners. When we got to the grotty bar we ended up having to pay for the complimentary drinks and what's worse, the glasses were dirty. My husband had a big spider in his drink and the bar man said it must have come from the closed bottle of Magners.... Seriously what a joke! I have never stayed in such a poorly managed "hotel" the poor receptionist didn't seem to have any back up from his managment if any exists! The management (or lack of) is appalling and the whole situation stinks... Just as this dirty, filthy, hazardous place did! Needs a lot more than a couple of vamped up rooms!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

i have stayed at this hotel alot and all the staff are very helpful, all the rooms i have stayed in have been very clean and the beds are amazing, i would tell anyone to stay here as for the money you are getting alot, i will be staying their again ,and l will and have told family and freinds to stay here.also you have a fridge in your room and fans which is great in the hot weather, also you can have take aways which the staff order for , so please do stay here i am very pleased with everything about the hotel.

Room Tip: all the double rooms i have stayed in have been really nice and a good night sleep to.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
katy b, General Manager at Hillingdon Prince Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for your kind feedback about our hotel. It is always nice to hear positive reviews as guests are always quick to write something negative but dont often take time to write a positive review. I am glad to hear you found the fridge, microwave and fan helpful, we do resposnd to guests feedback and this was a request of our many regular guests to offer these in all our rooms. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Well this is the 2nd time i have stayed at the HP, and have stayed in the Kendrick side of the hotel for long periods.

I was in room 515 and have to say 1st the walls have no paper yes thats right they are plastered and painted so never saw any peeling paper and also have to say at the point you came to the hotel i was staying there during the week so you technically had my room as i have been here for 2 months. Aug-sept

I think you where expecting too much HP is good for what you get the staff are great Emma is fantastic Kate is a good manager who between these two girls went out of their way to sort problems.

Granted it isnt the ritz but its good for the money you pay if you want 4 star dont book this hotel if you want clean rooms good staff and long term offers then this is the hotel for you, if you are on a budget and its just some where to get your head down again this is for you, IF HOW EVER your trying to impress the new one in your life then dont pick this ya cheap skate go spend it on a luxury hotel ohh and when arguing with yourselves remember that other persons stay in the hotel and didnt complain like you spoiled brats i think some one actually told you that didnt they

again good staff helpful will always be back here if i need to be back in reading for 1 month or more

thanks

Room Tip: if your looking at staying in the reading area for a few weeks+ then this is for you, the rooms have...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hi Mr B Thank you for your honest comments about our hotel. It is true we are a budget hotel offering clean comfortable and simply furnished rooms. We are not a 4 star hotel but a 2 star comfortable and friendly establishment. Sorry you are leaving us on Friday and I hope your work brings you back to Reading again soon. Kind regards Katy
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed at the Hillingdon Prince last week on business, The room was clean and spacious good hotel for parking a real bonus on a central location. I liked that staff were happy to help in ordering takeaway meals so you didn't feel obliged to eat in the hotel restaurant. I have been put up in the main building each and never had a problem with my room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hi, Thank you for taking time to write us such a nice review about our hotel it is greatly appreciated by all my staff as we all regularly look to see what is being said about us. Thank you for your time.
Wymondham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

On booking a two-star hotel I expect cosmetic shortcomings -- tired carpets, peeling wallpaper, rickety furniture, a torn bedspread -- and on this score the Hillingdon Prince proved exactly as expected. The staff tried to cope; the evening desk clerk went out of his way to find a room in which to store my cycle inside for the night. The lady in charge of breakfast didn't at first know which menu items my breakfast-included tariff entitled me to.

A fire inspector might have some issues with the pile of cleaning supplies stored under the staircase, and the use of a dangling power strip as part of the permanent electrical supply in my room.

The room was fairly large and included a basic self-catering arrangement with a refrigerator, microwave oven, plates, cups and bowls and cutlery. The bed was confortable and I slept well. Other guests seemed quiet, at least on the nights that I was there. The bathroom had a good strong shower, but on my second evening in the room I opened the door after being out all day and smelt a distinct odour of nicotine - despite my room being a non-smoking one. I suspect that bygone decades of smoke have leached into the wooden fixtures.

On the first of my two nights the wireless router dropped its connection to the outside world for a few minutes but then came back. On the second night it dropped out at about 8pm and never came back. As the person who corrects network faults is on call but off site, he takes several hours to reach the hotel to deal with any problems. This twelve-hour absence of wireless network service rubbished my productivity for the evening.

All in all, the Hillingdon Prince is what I expect of a two-star hotel. They're nice people but very much laissez-faire; they could have done a lot better on the wireless, and a lot better on knowing their own policies e.g. the breakfast question. Next time I'm in Reading I'll try LateRooms.co.uk or the Rainbow Lodge, which had no availability for my first night this time.

A tip: if you book via the Hillingdon Prince's own web site and use the discount code "pclub" then you get a free drink in the bar.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I travelled down to reading for a family occasion. I am by no means a snob when it comes to holidaying. I'm quite happy to "make do" in most situations. I have been a student (and lived in basic student accommodation) and have stayed in some very low budget places but this "hotel" takes a lot more than the biscuit... it's an insult to the word hotel. I've stayed in a tent with more comfort. Let me rewind to the start. We arrived in the early evening to check in and the first thing that hit us was some eggy/musty smell and a tired looking receptionist who was very polite. He checked us in (room 515) and then we arrived to what I can only describe as hell! A smell that made me want to look for a decomposed body, a radiator that was jammed on full heat and windows that didn't open. Out of disbelief I entered a fit of hysterics. Everywhere I turned there was more disbelief. A bed with a red stain on the "white" sheet, a brown sheet on top with white Stains, a light switch that turned the shower on and toilet that a tramp wouldn't be grateful for. After a 2.5hour drive down on one of the hottest days of the year I was NOT amused!! So, luckily we hadn't emptied the car of our belongings. We walked past the over flowing bin, through the carpark and to reception to be cheerfully greeted by a different member of staff. Calmly my partner mentioned the state of the room we were given to which the other receptionist joined his partner and the response was "oh, it must be one that the cleaners missed". Stunned at this response I asked if we could have a different room... that had been cleaned! I, unfortunately have lost count of the number of other rooms we were taken to that were equally dirty, mouldy and stained by what I can only imagine was some bodily fluid (all suspiciously the same colour, patterned, crusty) say no more about that! After the third or fourth room I started to lose my patience. It appears that the hotel was a self service hotel. Ie if you want to stay, you have to clean it yourself! I asked receptionist two if he thought the rooms were acceptable and would he pay money for the "privilege" of staying there. His response was "no, it's not good" - great advert... staff that wouldn't stay in the very place they sell to other people!! We found one room that (as the time was now getting quite late) we said we would make do with... if just for one night. It was room 538, a smelly room that had a window that would open, a better than the others bathroom (no towels) and a broken four poster bed... desperation had definitely kicked in. When I asked for just some towels for the room the receptionist said we don't have any (he wasn't prepared to take any out of an existing room for some bizzare reason). He said he would go and talk to his colleague. After leaving us in the room for 10mins he came back and said he was looking for another room for us. Thirsty and tired we told the receptionist that we were going to go and get a drink from the supermarket so by the time we got back we wanted to be going into a room with clean towels and bedding as I HAVE to take my medication no later than that as they make me sleep and that the next day was my cousins wedding so i had to be awake early. The receptionist was very appologetic and grateful for our patience (which by now was wafer thin). On our arrival back from the shop (10.30m) I had started to feel unwell and decided to stay in a relatives room until the situation was resolved (which they still were trying to sort out). Their room was like being in a different hotel. More on a par with travel lodge. This added to my anger and when my partner asked for a refund so we could stay at the travel lodge up the road the receptionists weren't authorised to give refunds. After telling us we had seen ALL of the available rooms, they miraculously found a hot (meaning temperature) musty twin room with wallpaper stapled to the walls. By this time (11.30 - an hour and a half later than i should take medication and 5hours after we arrived) we were expecting someone to jump out with a tv camera and tell us it was all a big joke. Unfortunately it was not a big joke and we were both extremely tired and in need of a good nights sleep. This also didnt happen. Twin beds that were so hard (pushed together) doesnt make for a comfottable night. Breakfast was "interesting". I thought that the chef must have invented a new way of cooking "oil boiled" or something. I did not enter the breakfast room wearing lip gloss but after one bite of the hash brown they felt as though i was wearing a whole tub of lip gloss! As far as the food goes, the safest bet was the croissants and cheeses as they were individually wrapped and dated! After numerous complaints were made, the staff made continuous efforts to contact the manager who eventually replied by saying she was out with her children and to send her an email. It appears we were given the same fob off story as previous guests having read other reviews. This hotel of horror is a disgrace. Unclean, uncomfortable and unsightly. Rouge traders and watchdog would be scared off by the standards (or lack of) of this place. The only way this hotel will go up in my estimation is if the manager shows her face (I'm extremely suspicious that the manager doesn't actually exist and the building runs itself) & signs a document to get the place shut down ... if not bulldozed!! I feel sorry for the staff that do their best in such difficult situations because they clearly don't enjoy their job... who would? Still no adequate response given OR a refund as requested. Appalling!

• Stayed August 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I arrived at the so called hotel around 6:30pm on Friday 17th August after a long drive down from Nottingham, everything seemed ok at first with very friendly and funny staff. When being told our room wasn't in the main building we made the short walk to one of the other buildings around the back, what greeted us was shocking! A woman sat on the fire escape stairs smoking and drinking a can of lager, she told us that the main door was around the corner be we could use the fire escape as she had wedged it open!!!
Upon entering room 515 the dusty, rank mouldy smell hit us. We checked the room over and found that the shower was so mouldy and the toilet had some horrid stains down it!! Even the white toilet brush was brown and stuck to the base. The bed sheets had a red stain on them, wall paper had mould on it and was peeling off when leaving the building we noticed a overflowing bin, we complained and was then given room 538, which had crusty stains on the blankets and no towels, it was clearly not set up for guests. We complained again and got passed from pillar to post and the receptionist took us to room 510 which was just as bad as the first room, we asked the receptionist if he would stop in it and he replied with no, we asked to see a manager to which he replied with he was the highest member of staff in at that time and he'd only been there a month or so, after creating a scene in reception asking for our money back they told us they didn't have the aurthority to give refunds and told us the manager wasn't in till 2pm the next day, baring in mind it's now 11:30pm we was then given room 307 which was a twin so we had to push the beds together, it was red hot, no shower but we had had enough at this point. The next morning the breakfast was shocking, over cooked and it was like they had dipped it in fat just before plating it up, we got in contact with manager but stated she was out with her children and it wasn't a good time and would email us later, after going to the wedding we was down there for we arrived back to our room to find a bottle of red wine and a £20 voucher for the bar and a letter of apology. This was nowhere near adequate as the bar was shut and we would be leaving first thing the next morning and we will sertanly not be going back to spend the damn thing!
We have since had another email from the manager grovelling as there was 5 rooms in our party all with cleanliness issues.
In summery it's dirty, old, smelly, poorly managed.

AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!

• Stayed August 2012
It does seem strange to have stayed in our hotel for 2 nights and not to mention that you were so unhappy to my staff who would have happily offered you an alternative room. My staff are friendly and helpful and would have been keen to ensure you had a good stay. I feel sad that we were not given the oportunity to put things right for you and instead the hotel receives two negative reviews one from your wife and one from yourself. If you were unhappy surely it is best to speak up and be offered an alternative option.

Been to Hillingdon Prince Hotel? Share your experiences!