“Amazing hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

15% off room rate
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Reading
“Amazing hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

On arrival this afternoon I was greeted and booked in by a young lady who was extremely helpful and polite. I am attending a music event function in the hotel. What can I say... the rooms are spotlessly clean.. The beds are huge... even the toiletries in the tropical shower bathroom left me feeling amazing... Definitely NOT cheap quality. The Sales Manager Ian is a great host and very professional. I would most definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Andrea. Thanks so much for your awesome review. I’m delighted you like what we do! Your feedback has been passed back to a very pleased Sales Manager too! Thank you.
James Gardiner – Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

My first stay at a Pentahotel. Conveniently located in walking distance to local shops and restaurants. Pleasant atmosphere in the lobby and lounge areas. Staff was personable and helpful. Full buffet breakfast was well stocked and made for a good start to the day. Room on the exterior near the thoroughfare was a little noisy but the interior rooms were fine according to my colleague. One negative, WiFi only connects for 30 mins at a time before you need to login again. It's frequently slow and saturated in the evenings.

Room Tip: Pick one on the interior away from the busy highway behind the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your great review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope this is the first of many! We have very competitively priced high-speed internet available which would be worth a try next time. Thanks again.
Best wishes.,
havant
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night on sat 26th april. Hotel itself is very nice, clean and modern. Massive super king size bed, nice ensuite.

All was good till 3am when I tooka call from reception to tell me my Domino's had arrived!! Not strictly hotel fault mind but annoying yes, however worse to come.....at 5am the fire alarm went off, my partner and I chucked some clothes on and left down the fire exit, no real issues. Waited outside at the fire assembly point for about 10 minutes, no sign of any staff, so we headed round to reception where about 100 people were waiting. We overheard the staff say it was a false alarm so we headed back to the room. Staff organisation was poor, no one seemed to know what was going on or where their guests were. We spoke to reception on our check out, I feel there was not enough staff to deal with the situation only 2 were visable an there must have been 200 guests.

Couple of other points, room keys hardly worked, had to put it in about 10 times before the door opened. Breakfast was really good, location very good for shops and riverside restaurants.

Overall I would stay again and without the fire alarm and phone call would have been 4 stars. Fair price for a fair hotel.

Couple of

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Big Col. Thank you for your feedback. I am very pleased that you liked our hotel. I am however very sorry for the disturbances on both counts. During the incident I believe the team worked quickly and safely to minimize the impact of a very unfortunate situation and did their very best to communicate to as many people as possible. I am sorry that you felt we could have done better in this area and can assure you that this has been reviewed and will feature as a key point in our next, regular evacuation test. I hope you get the chance to stay with us again and can assure you that it will be faultless.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I love this hotel and have stayed before. This stay was not as good as the first for two reasons. These are as follows, It would appear the air conditioning was not working, we had ours set at 9 degrees with a fan on iii which meant it should have been Baltic it was verging on Saharan. A lot of areas in the hotel were really uncomfortably hot. We also had a fire alarm at 4:50 am, no fault of the hotels I may add just idiots who broke the glass. My concern was there was no direction from staff at the assembly point everyone just drifted back onto the hotel and milled around. I as other reviewers have stated felt this was to do with the staffing levels.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Faye. Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. I am first of course very sorry that you were too warm during your stay. Our engineering team are looking into this to ensure everything in the World of heating and cooling is running perfectly. Secondly I would like to forward my apologies for the disruption you experienced on your recent stay. The team on duty acted quickly and safely to ensure the minimal disruption to our guests. Every effort was made to communicate as effectively as possible but I am sorry if you felt we could have done more. This point will certainly be a focus in our future, regular fire evacuation tests. I hope this experience doesn’t deter you from staying in our fabulous hotel and we hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for your feedback.
Paignton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Just when you think you've hit lucky with a good hotel find, clean funky rooms, trendy reception areas, good price too...disaster strikes in the middle of the night with the fire alarm going off resulting on mass evacuation of the hotel. You can deal with that normally..but NOBODY from this hotel took control of this situation and approx 250 people standing outside at 04.50 in nightwear not knowing anything is unacceptable. No fire Marshall to guide guests or calm the situation, women with young children shivering, all of us just lingering around the back of this hotel with no appearance from any member of staff is a disgrace. No appearance either from the fire service. Were they called? After half an hour people just started going back inside, so obviously the mass just followed like sheep, but no one came to tell us it was safe to re enter this hotel . The alarm stopped but then went off twice more. Rumblings came later that someone had set off the alarm by mistake. This hotel cannot have standard operating procedures to deal with a fire, even though upon questioning the manager in charge let it slip they had held a fire training day 2 days previously. It was a shambles and makes you realise just how vulnerable you are in the hands of this organisation. We have complained direct to the on duty manager and would expect to action to be taken to avoid any reoccurrence.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Mrs Blurton. Thank you for your feedback. Following on from my recent conversation with your husband I would like to reiterate my personal apologies to you as well. I look forward to following up with Mr Blurton with my full investigation findings in the near future. We operate a very safe business and our guest’s safety is never compromised. The team on duty acted quickly and safely to ensure the minimal disruption to our guests under the circumstances of an activation of a break-glass which triggered our alarm. Every effort was made to communicate with our guests but I am sorry if you felt this could have been handled better. We have certainly taken your comments on board and will incorporate specific checks on these points into our future, regular fire evacuation tests. If you would like to discuss anything further in more detail I would be pleased to speak to you. Mr Blurton has my full contact details. Thank you again.
Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel several times in the last few years and I must say that on first impressions it looks great! Its trendy (bit too trendy for my age however still enjoy it!), staff are not in the typical hotel uniforms (dark jeans and t-shirt), have a great lobby (huge and bar/reception together -however is not like some budget hotel chains with a small bar/reception, this is a huge bar-reception) and the rooms are very clean, colorful and with a great shower (and hidden coffee/tea facilities which took me a while to figure out where they were, but they are there:).
Vending machines on each floor, which is a nice touch. Pool table next to bar area, great!

Breakfast has a great selection and very good quality food, very spacious breakfast room with TV's showing the news and some music as well. However I could not understand the staffing levels at this hotel, which is my main issue and I understand that management tries to keep a tight ship however this is not possible when penta has the room rates they have on weekdays, which is on average on the other 4 star hotels in town...
Breakfast, only 2 staff, although they were very pleasant and welcoming, you can clearly see that they are...just running to do everything!
Reception, a bit hit and miss, sometimes there are long queues and staff seems distant and cold.
Bar, again same as Breakfast, very good quality of drinks and food but only one staff (and its a big bar and several tables, prices are not cheap, hence I don't want to wait to be served)
Dinner, probably the best service delivered by a young lady named Yolita, top noch, great recommendations on the menu and a pleasure to deal with however same issue as Breakfast, full restaurant, telephone ringing and one staff.
Although most of the staff do their best, is so much they can do to serve guests in such a busy environment. Improving these easy to fix niggles, this can be a great hotel.

Room Tip: Stay away from motorway rooms, just a few rooms have a bath.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Hi Ramsey. Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. I was very pleased to read that you like what we do on the whole. Thank you for your thoughts on our operation. I will certainly be looking into this with the senior team. We always do our best to rota to our business needs and would never put just one person on something as important as breakfast! Thank you for the lovely feedback about Jolita. She was absolutely delighted with the recognition. We all hope to see you again soon.
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Despite being next to a busy road there was absolutely no noise in our room facing the road.

The hotel has large, clean modern rooms, the bar downstairs is great and breakfast is lovely.

Would definitely stay again

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your concise and lovely feedback! You are clearly someone who clearly likes the finer things in life! Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.
James Gardiner – Hotel Manager

Been to pentahotel Reading? Share your experiences!