“Great value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Reading
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Great hotel in good location. Only problem too hot in rooms, we spoke to reception who told us air con broke and gave a fan but noticed other people complained about the heat. Great value breakfast and load of choice. Would definitely stay again

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you very much for your review. Glad to hear you had a good stay with us overall. Sorry to hear about the heat issue and pleased to say that is completely resolved now.
James Gardiner – Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Reading
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Reception and bar I cant fault. Once in room air con/heating wasnt working. Window seal was coming off. Hotel provided a small heater which qite frankly was of no use at all.
Couldnt be moved to another room as all rooms were filled. All we got as compensation was drinks vouchers and car park vouchers. On the upside bed was comfortable and shower was excellent. Sorry bit would only stay again as a last resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for your review. There are some really positive parts to your feedback, which is great, but I am sorry that we let you down in other areas. Your room should have been perfect and this is being addressed with our engineering team. I am also very sorry that we couldn’t have moved you. We would have done if at all possible. I do hope you do get to stay with us again and if you do please let us know what we can do to make your stay as comfortable as possible and we’ll move heaven and earth to do so! Thanks again for the feedback.
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a couple of weeks, had a pleasant stay. Though at night it was noisy due to the adjacent motorway's noise (which was solved by a pair of ear plugs). The staff was cordial, excellent breakfast selection. Rooms are spacious. The lobby becomes a little dull during the night due to the dime lighting. Overall pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2013
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and would like to thank you for highlighting some of the key points that make us such a great Hotel destination. There are also some points for me to review with the team to ensure every guest’s stay is as perfect as possible. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon for another great time!
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Staying here on a business trip.

The bar and entrance is stylish and comfortable, the rooms are spacious and nicley decorated, not like you usual standard hotel room, these have a bit of character.

The bathroom and show is really nice to.

There are some things that need doing just to finish the place off, the ceiling in the rooms is the only critism I can find.

Other than that cannot fault the place and is in a handy central position to the city centre.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for your review Dwain. Really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. See you again.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stating one night with work and arrived late. Staff were very friendly and helpful, I requested an ironing board from the room and it arrived within 10 minutes.
Lobby is very impressive but a little on the chilly side.
Room is lovely, well presented and modern, very clean. My bed was huge, and the free toiletries funky.
Good nights sleep except the traffic noise from about 630, take ear plugs of you're a light sleeper.
I really enjoyed the stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for your review. Glad your stay overall was positive but something’s for us to have looked into. Your feedback is appreciated and we look forward to seeing you again.
Hertfordshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

They must have money to burn on energy in this hotel. Not sure what was going on, but my colleagues and myself each had extraordinarily hot bedrooms on a cool October evening. There is a temperature control button on the bedroom wall but reception confirmed that the system does not cool, only blows air around. Even the water in the bathroom tap came out warm, most unpleasant for washing teeth, and I could not get the shower below a hot setting.

I had to ring reception at 1am and ask for a desk fan, and I asked the porter to open the window - he was not sure how it worked as there are no instructions in the room. Eventually he barged it open - should you decide to stay here, note that there is a central pivot top and bottom. The restrictor stops it opening very wide. It was not just the bedrooms though, the public toilets on the ground floor were like saunas, and the seminar rooms were also very very warm although the aircon worked in those areas. I did mention all of this to the duty manager, and heard other people complaining similarly.

The dining area gets curtained off for functions, and since there was a corporate karaoke event on when we were there we decided not to try the small area that was left over for other diners right next to the "entertainment". The chinese 2 mins down the road (turn right out of reception) is exceptional by the way.

If they could sort out the temperatures it would probably be a pleasant place to stay, I have scored it "Poor" because the main aim of my hotel stays for work is to get a decent night's sleep before doing a job for clients and I did not get anything like that here. On the positive side, it was clean, staff are pleasant, and the bed was on the hard side of soft which I prefer. Good TV and movie selection. Full marks for the hotel breakfast, a very good selection indeed with friendly staff. Best part of the stay!

Room Tip: One side of the hotel gives onto the street so you could get road and student noise, the other faces...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your review. I am very sorry to hear that you were not comfortable during your stay with us. Your feedback is certainly something I am reviewing as a priority with our property engineering team to ensure that we are not only conserving our energy, but most importantly, our guests are comfortable and able to enjoy every moment of their time with us. Despite this point I am pleased that you really liked lots of aspects about our Hotel, as this is what we’re all about. I hope we get the chance to welcome you back again in the future and am sure we will be able to provide a comfortable environment here for you when you do. Thanks again for your feedback.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Driving up to this place, you'd expect another bog-standard budget-type hotel, everything adequate, but very, very average. Walking in the doors though, this place feels a whole lot smarter - it has the feel of a 4* hotel, very smart in the lobby, and very modern. The rooms were great too - clean, modern, more than just the bare minimum.

The beds were pretty comfortable - and overall I had a better than expected night's sleep.

I don't know if I'll be going to Reading again, but if I have to, I'll stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again.
James Gardiner – Hotel Manager

Been to pentahotel Reading? Share your experiences!