“Family wedding at Crowne Plaza 6th July 2013” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Caversham Bridge Richfield Ave, Reading RG1 8BD, England (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 32 hotels in Reading
London, United Kingdom
“Family wedding at Crowne Plaza 6th July 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

My father and his partner chose this hotel as the location for their wedding at the beginning of July. We were greeted at the start of the wedding by friendly and welcoming staff. The location for the meal and evening reception was amazing. The room overlooked the river and had a good number outdoor seating, which was ideal given the weather we had on the day of the wedding. The staff were all really smartly dressed and extremely attentive to our every needs.The bar staff were really helpful and even went to a seperate part of the hotel to ensure guests had the drinks they wanted when stock had run out at the bar in the function room. This was not the bar staff fault, it was an extremely large wedding with a lot of people drinking :). The food was amazing and brought out in a timely manner. The pate was amazing and the main was lovely, pudding just as good. My niece was sat next to me and her dinner was fantastic. No frozen, pre-made rubbish, this is all hand made and fresh. Given that there wer 150 people eating at the day, you couldn't ask for better value for your money than 150 hand made meals! We had drinks flowing freely, food throughout the day and evening. We didn't once have to worry about where we needed to be or what was happening next, as the staff were so professional they had everything under control. I would recommend this venue to anyone wanting a fantastic wedding, with the highest customer service and the most memorable day you could wish for.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you so much for writing such a lovely review of the hotel and I was delighted to learn that the day went off so well and that you and your family were so well looked after with excellent food and hospitality.

I hope we can see you again at the hotel soon?

Thanks again

508 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

In may of this year, I booked over 10 rooms in the Crowne Plaza Reading for my wedding which was at the hotel as well. My family was visiting from different parts of world and I looked at other options like Hilton in Reading as well prior to making a final decision. I must say that I couldn't be more pleased with my decision. The staff at CP made us all feel at home. They supported us all the way through. The hotel is equipped with all modern day facilities such as pool, sauna etc. Breakfast is also very nice with a good choice!

I would like to extend special thanks to Ashish Jha and Farrukh! Both are awesome guys and they worked round the clock to ensure that we all were well taken care of. My wife was very pleased with the service as well and she says her special thanks to Krista and Baeta for their support and assistance.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to enjoy Reading because its centrally located and has a nice lake adjacent to it. Taxis are a phone call away. Staff is extremely supportive. One exception is the african gentleman at night whose attitude was rude and offensive towards some of my guests. Overall it was a pleasant experience.

• Stayed May 2013
It was so kind of you to take the time to write such a lovely review of The Crowne Plaza Reading, we were very pleased and proud to host such an important day and I will thank Ashish and Farrukh for their efforts to make the day so special.

We wish you well in your future lives and look forward to seeing you soon!

cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Very pleasant check in, very nice room with nice balcony overlooking the river. Have stayed here a few times and always found it to be good. The pool was especially good as was the steam room. Shame reception/bar isn't air conditioned but that's not too important. The aircon in the room was either set to off or to total refrigeration. fortunately it was a very hot day and very welcome.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I was pleased to learn that all was good with your stay and thanks for writing a review on the hotel.

Just a quick note on the aircon, in the hot weather we can take it down to 18oc but with the balcony rooms when the door out to the balcony gets open on a hot day it heats the room up and can take a little time to get the right cooling level back!

Anyway hope we will see you again!

General Manger
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was a guest at a wedding here and was quite looking forward to it as I had had recommendations from friends. Unfortunately I was very disappointed. I have rated this as average but as a venue I would have given it a very good but sadly the food and wine was poor. The white wine tasted like vinegar and it was lucky I had my Rennies with me. The red was slightly better and I might have used it for cooking. The food was little better ( except the Cheesecake which seemed out of place as it was fantastic ) the starter of pate was quite ordinary but I had the goats cheese tart which was an afterthought which I think was quickly knocked up to satisfy a demand for an alternative to the pate, it was overcooked and tasteless. The main course was a very average pork roast which was once again overcooked. The vegetables and potatoes were perfectly cooked and quite good. Strangely the evening buffet was excellent with a variety of buffet food of a high standard. The venue itself is great, backing on to the River Thames and everyone seemed to have a good time though the bar service was a little slow. I don't want to sound too critical because I had a brilliant time and more importantly the bride and groom looked like they did too but I would suggest a little more care is taken with the food especially on someones big day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
I was sorry to learn that you did not like the food and wine served at the wedding you were a guest at, we spend a lot of time with the bride and groom before the day doing menu tastings and selecting the wine and we ensure that we cater to their tastes, unfortunately this will not suit everyone's palate on a big event.

I was however pleased to learn that you enjoyed the day and had a good time

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed here again for a visit with friends. Cannot reccommend highly enough. Lovely rooms,
great restaurant, great spa. This hotel is not just for business travellers - it's great for a weekend away. Nice walks by the river, 10 mins into Reading for good shoppping, cinemas etc.
Very efficient and friendly staff. Amazing value for money. Will definitely be going back again within a couple of months and when visiting Reading would not stay anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
It was great to see you come back to the hotel and to see that we have again given you a great stay, it was most kind of you to take the time to write another review of The Crowne Plaza Reading and of course we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon!

Thanks again!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband booked a last minute stay in Reading and the Crowne plaza, in particular the duty manager Farouk were wonderful! They organised a lovely room for us and offered us complimentary drinks since we were celebrating. The staff are friendly and the hotel is clean with wonderful views of the river.

I highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
I was so pleased that we made you special occasion so memorable and the team went above and beyond to ensure your stay was a good one!

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza, on business, for one week. The main factor for me was the availability of a gym onsite.

The room I had was comfortable and large with a good sized bathroom. It's not got the individual charm of its competitor The Forbury, or the benefit of the good location of the Malmaison, but its gym is very good and it has everything you would want otherwise.

One point of comparison - the breakfast is mainly fry-up based with a bit of perfunctory fruit and muesli available. For this reason alone, the breakfast is nowhere near as good as at the Malmaison.

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor facing toward the town centre - was fine, no problems with noise or the...