“Lovely Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Reading
West Midlands
“Lovely Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay at Hilton Reading on an organised coach trip.
On arrival we had a swift check in and soon found our room on the first floor room 112. The room was bright and clean, with a huge, very comfortable bed. Plenty of lighting and a control for heating/air conditioning. The tv was a flat screen and you were provided with a keyboard to enable you to access your e-mails etc through the tv.
Tea and coffee making facilities were provided, as was an iron, ironing board and hairdryer.
Bathroom was again very clean, a selection of toiletries were provided, and clean white fluffy towels which were replaced daily.
Our room had a bath with shower over and no problems were encountered with the shower, it was also nice to have a shower screen rather than a shower curtain.
Our evening meal was buffet style, plenty of choice on the starters/salad bar but not much choice on the main course, but what we had was very tasty and well cooked, again not much choice of dessert but enjoyed the profiteroles.
The bar prices were a little on the expensive side, and if you like cocktails I would not advise you to try one here, I had what must have been the worst one I have ever tasted, and I also noticed somebody else taking two cocktails back to the bar.
Breakfast was again buffet style, plenty of choice but a bit slow at replenishing the dishes, food was nice and tasty. Tea and coffee were served at the table.
Service in the restaurant was a little slow, but I think that maybe they were short staffed.
I didn't find the staff to be quite as friendly and helpful as at other Hilton hotels I have visited but I can understand that they were very busy.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back of the hotel, which was nice and quiet, people in rooms situated at the fr...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear VeronicaJ4

Thank you for your review on Hilton Reading, your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read.

In terms of the pricing and the not so positive, I appreciate your honesty and kindly assure you that comments will be looked at by colleagues with the view of making changes where possible.

Should I be able to help with further specifics, please drop me a line on aimee.louiseash@hilton.com, when I will be delighted to investigate and respond further to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon so we can hopefully fully exceed your expectations next time around and again. In the meantime, if I can assist with this or with any other aspect of a booking with us, I will be happy to help and remain for now with kind regards

Aimee Louise Ash

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Arabic first
South Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Stayed at The Hilton on Saturday 30th November. We arrived at 3.30 and check in was quick and easy after we entered through the underground car park. Our rooms were very nice although didn't have the wow factor that we thought we'd have from a Hilton hotel. Mini bar was ridiculously expensive (£3 for a can of coke) as were the pay facilities on the TV (£15+). TV was of a high standard though. Bed very comfortable but curtains and shower mat weren't very clean.
We headed to the gym which was well equipped and then to the pool. Surprised to see that there was no Jacuzzi but there was a sauna and steam room. We caught a bus from outside the hotel into Reading and it was very cheap (£5 for 4 people all night). The return bus stopped about 8-10 minutes walk away which was no problem. We didn't eat at the restaurant or visit the bar. After using the gym and pool again in the morning we headed to the breakfast room. Breakfast was plentiful with a huge choice of cereals, fruits, pastries, juices, salads, cooked items and more. This was included on the price of the room but I would imagine it very expensive. A 12 o'clock check out was very nice.
In closing a very good hotel experience but was expecting the rooms to be better.

Dear Chris-magenta

Thank you for posting a review on the hotel and for leaving positive comments.

Aimee Ash
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Positives - Our stay was value for money, all the staff were friendly and professional, the venue was clean and massage in the spa was lovely. Rooms for improvements - 1) At time of the booking I arranged for a King Size bed and called in to sort out a room upgrade, which I was promised would be done when I arrived. It was not so I called reception to negotiate the changes and agreed to pay the additional difference but the staff only moved us to a room next door with a King sized bed. 2) when booked spa treatment we were not informed that the pool was being used for a toddlers swimming lesson so we did not get to use all the facilities as there were lots of children and parents in the changing rooms, pool and sauna area. If we had known we could have chosen a different time to use the facilities. 3) The waiters and menu in the restaurant did not fully explain how the food would be presented/cooked when asked, so when it arrived it was not what we expected and could not eat it. It would have been nice to see other menu options for which we would have paid the difference, but the offer was not made. 4) The heating system would switch on then turn itself off, without us realizing, hence why it was not reported at the time, by the time we got up in the morning and noticed it was time to check out. 5) When I checked out I paid the added differences for the room service and restaurant meal but I was later billed for the bottle of water in the room, which I feel should have been done at the time of check out. So it was not nice receiving a bill in the post a week later. I think a phone call to inform me first would have been nice. I have stayed at a number of Hilton Hotels in London in the past and have never had any issues, so was surprised about the above mentioned and varying standards.

Dear Nicolette W

Thank you for posting a review on the Hilton Reading.

Thoughts and experiences from our guests are very much appreciated and are used to rectify any shortfalls highlighted to us.

I am sorry to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations on this occasion and it is very regrettable.

I understand that we have spoken to you directly with regards to your stay however, should you need anything further, please feel free to contact me on aimee.louiseash@hilton.com.

Aimee
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and very comfortable we were too. The room was very clean, comfortable, and had a wall to ceiling window letting in plenty of light. We only had the breakfast but there was plenty of choice and we were very satisfied. We even established that the hotel is at the end of a bus route from the railway station so that was ideal.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 2130Arthur

Thank you for your review on the Hilton Reading.

We are pleased to see your stay was a pleasant one and look forward to another opportunity when we can welcome you back once more.

United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Great value for money. We were looking for an over night venue with good secure parking and high quality accommodation. Hilton Reading ticked all the boxes. From car park access throughout reception staff and room quality, all were of a high standard.

Dear William F

Thank you for posting such a positive comment following your stay at the Hilton Reading.

Your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read.

Thank you for taking the time to offer great feedback. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Reading once again in the near future.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

As a weekend getaway, this hotel is an excellent choice within easy reach of the M4 and rail links to London. The service we received was superb and the amenities are very good. I will definitely be staying again.

Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Nigel S

Thank you for your review on Hilton Reading.

Your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read.

Aimee
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

First time I have ever visited a Hilton Hotel, came with just my girlfriend for a night away. Was greeted by a very polite member of staff who checked us in within about 2 minutes, very quick! Entered our room to be greeted by a message on my tele with my name on it, very nice feature :), The window the size of the room was lovely, me and my girlfriend sat and looked out with a few glasses of wine throughout the night which we put in the ice holder provided. Bed was great, big enough for both of us with room left over, and we had a good nights sleep. Best thing I found was that the tele had free sky sports, Bonus!! Only downside to our stay was that the food was a tad on the expensive side to what quality food we received and that I did not et my complimentary slippers in my room that website said would be there :( but not a major problem. Thanks Hilton we will be returning!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Akightley

Your comments about the hotel are an absolute pleasure to read, and I was delighted to see that overall you and your girlfriend enjoyed your stay.

Your comments regarding the quality of food have been sent on to both my Food and Beverage Manager and my Executive Head Chef for review, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I look look forward to another opportunity when we can welcome you back once more.

Aimee Louise Ash

Been to Hilton Reading? Share your experiences!