“It does not have a spa” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Reading
Reading
“It does not have a spa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went for afternoon tea and to use the "spa". Despite the restaurant not seeming to know what the time was (we arrived at 12 for our booking and were told to come back in an hour at 12?!) and them having no record of our booking the tea itself was good. You don't get a choice as other people have pointed out but they sandwiches and cakes are of good quality. That is where the good stops.

We walked over to the "spa" and were told there were swimming lessons on but the swimming lanes were open. We only really wanted to use the steam room and sauna anyway so were not worried. I paid £4 to hire two towels and this is where is started to become worried. No proper spa I have visited anywhere in the world charges for towels as the clientele don't steal. I was told that the women's changing room was tiny, the men's was large but filthy! There were plastic bags on the floor and in the locker I opened there was also toilet roll wet and wadded up in the loo floor. The locker bore a sticker saying please don't leave valuables in here!? What's a locker for then and another question mark about who uses this place?

I then went into the pool area...this is about the size of a pool you may have fitted at your house for private use. The swimming lesson for about eight little ones wasn't an issue but the fact that fully dressed parents could just sit around in the pool area is! Anyone could just walk in and sit there amongst people trying to relax. The sauna and steam rooms held about four people each and wee so busy people were queuing as we'll as opening an closing the doors constantly. One tiny pool surrounded by random people, a small dry warm cupboard and a small wet cupboard is NOT a spa Hilton!

My wife and I got changed again an just left without using any if the facilities, I didn't care about the £4 and would have paid that just to leave. If you are staying here for any reason and want to use a spa then I would recommend taking a taxi to The Crowne Plaza at Caversham for proper facilities and a relaxing, high quality atmosphere rather than a low budget an oddly paranoid about theft gym style building.

• Stayed September 2013
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear j_parkin

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts and experiences of your recent visit to the Hilton Reading. Your comments about the Hotel and the team are appreciated. Our commitment at the Hilton Reading is to provide the finest in service and personal attention to everyone who stays with us, and it is helpful when our guests pass their opinions and experiences to us, allowing us to refine our procedures and services where necessary.

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfall in service that you received during your visit. Such issues are not at all indicative of the high service standards we usually demonstrate and again I would offer our unreserved apologies. Please be assured that the matter has been further addressed and we are confident that any similar situation will not recur in the future.

With regards to your comments about our LivingWell Health Club, you can be certain your constructive criticism has been discussed with the department, and further training will take place to avoid any reoccurrence. We have recently ordered some new pool loungers, to ensure the seating is plentiful around the pool area.

We have recently finished refurbishing our spa treatment rooms, which are located next to our LivingWell health club.

I look forward to having another opportunity hopefully, to welcome you back to the Hilton Reading hotel and until then remain with kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Arabic first
Bushey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Excellent hotel with high quality service and great staff. Good location for Reading football or Reading Green Park business. Hotel is clean and modern with secure undergraound parking. Regular public bus service to city centre or short cab ride away. Easy access to M4 motorway off J11.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear DotcomTraveller

Thank you for posting such a positive comment following your stay at the Hilton Reading.

We are pleased to see your stay was a pleasant one and look forward to another opportunity when we can welcome you back once more.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I purchased a deal for afternoon tea with the use of the spa for my mum and I. When we arrived we were given our complimentary prosseco which came with the deal, I was driving so had a diet coke and was shocked that it was £3.20!! Our cake and sandwich stand just arrived we didn't get a choice of sandwiches we just got what we were given, we wasn't asked if we wanted a vegetarian selection they were rather dry too. When we got to the 'spa' we was looking forward to a couple of hours relaxing having a swim and just chilling. The shower cubical a had no lock, no where to hang your towels, no private changing areas...not everyone feels comfortable getting naked in front of strangers. We got to the pool, it was tiny and so busy we couldn't properly swim, there was a child jumping in, in the swimming lane, I have kids I'm all for playing with the kids in the pool but we was expecting peace, quiet, relaxation...if we wanted that busy kids splashing I would have gone to a splash pool! It was just too busy and not relaxing spa at all.

• Stayed September 2013
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear MasterJjims

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts and experiences of your recent stay at the Hilton Reading on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your honesty and kindly assure you that comments will be looked at by colleagues with the view of making changes where possible.

I was disappointed to read your comments with regards to your afternoon tea. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. You can be certain your constructive criticism has been discussed with the relevant department to avoid any reoccurrence.

I was sorry to read that you left the hotel feeling disappointed after your visit. Please be assured that your experience does not reflect the standards of service we aim to offer and I do hope you will give us another opportunity and that you will return to the hotel so we can show you we can do much better.

With kind regards

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

So far very poor customer services, call several times to book for afternoon tea but if i was not cut off, the phone was not answered!! I persevered having bought a voucher however the staff at this "luxury" hotel has no clue about customer services, after 3 calls this morning I managed to get to someone prepared to book a table on my behalf.
I said farcical customer services in my title because the experience was a bit surreal, before being ask when, what time etc... I was given 7 dates where I could not book before asking me when I wanted to book then was told that I could not book my chosen date even the date requested was not mentioned in the previous 7 dates, it was the most kafkaesque moment. I have managed to book a table, but I am not really sure now that I want to go there if the customer services is so poor am I going to enjoy my afternoon tea on the 1st of October??? This is all the question!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Caroline S

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Adviser as thoughts and experiences from our guests are very much appreciated and are used to rectify any shortfalls highlighted to us.

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfall in service that you recieved whilst booking your afternoon tea. Such issues are not at all indicative of the high service standards we usually demonstrate and again I would offer our unreserved apologies.

I am delighted to see that you will be at our hotel on the 1st October. Should you need anything at all, please feel free to contact me on aimee.louiseash@hilton.com.

Hilton Reading looks forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I arrived at the hotel to find to find that my reservation made by my boss with hotels.com had not been received. The staff were most helpful and found me a room and at a cheaper price than had been paid to hotels.com. The room was large with a nice comfy bed. The heating system was a little noisey but could be controlled/switched off in the room. The reception staff also told me where I could go for a meal. Breakfast was good and the hotel has a good underground car park. I would definately stay again when in the Reading Area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Andrew M

I was delighted to see that my reception team were able to resolve your missing booking issue quickly, and that you found them to be helpful.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This was a complimentary one night bed and breakfast stay that I won in the summer. On arrival we found the hotel to be bright, airy, modern and very clean with a relaxed atmosphere. There were no functions goung on that night so it was quiet.
There were just a few niggles which we did feedback on leaving; our room was reserved as a deluxe room but on arrival found no evidence of this being the case. No bathrobes or slippers were available and were surprised to find no biscuits on the beverage tray or small bottles of water supplied. There was a large bottle of water to purchase at £3.95 - no thank you!
We used the swimming pool which was very warm but were unable to shower afterwards as the showers were closed due to a blockage. Room information advising us that we needed a £1 coin for the locker would have been useful as we had to return to our room to get coins.
The buffet breakfast had an extensive choice and the staff were attentive.
We were impressed to see how swiftly a fire extinguisher that had been let off in our corridor by some late night revellers was replaced and the corridor cleared of their food mess. Would definately return.

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room and had a room on the 3rd floor which was quiet on the night we were there...