“Enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 32 hotels in Reading
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This was a complimentary one night bed and breakfast stay that I won in the summer. On arrival we found the hotel to be bright, airy, modern and very clean with a relaxed atmosphere. There were no functions goung on that night so it was quiet.
There were just a few niggles which we did feedback on leaving; our room was reserved as a deluxe room but on arrival found no evidence of this being the case. No bathrobes or slippers were available and were surprised to find no biscuits on the beverage tray or small bottles of water supplied. There was a large bottle of water to purchase at £3.95 - no thank you!
We used the swimming pool which was very warm but were unable to shower afterwards as the showers were closed due to a blockage. Room information advising us that we needed a £1 coin for the locker would have been useful as we had to return to our room to get coins.
The buffet breakfast had an extensive choice and the staff were attentive.
We were impressed to see how swiftly a fire extinguisher that had been let off in our corridor by some late night revellers was replaced and the corridor cleared of their food mess. Would definately return.

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room and had a room on the 3rd floor which was quiet on the night we were there...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear MuddyPuddles

Thank you for posting a review on the hotel and for leaving positive comments.

In terms of the not so positive, I appreciate your honesty and kindly assure you that comments will be looked at by colleagues with the view of making changes where possible.

Should I be able to help with further specifics, please drop me a line on aimee.louiseash@hilton.com, when I will be delighted to investigate and respond further to you.

I am delighted yo see that you had an enjoyable stay, and hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

696 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night as I had meetings in the nearby area.
Very modern, very clean and the staff were great. The lounge area was really comfortable with nice big sofas and the service was good.
My room was really comfortable and I had a great nights sleep.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Sargent0

Thank you for your review on Hilton Reading.

Your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read.

Thank you for taking the time to offer great feedback. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Reading once again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The hotel was booked as an anniversary treat. We had a spa package also included. The booking was NOT done through Hilton directly but rather a third party website offering pampering packages. At the time of booking the spa center (a separate company working within the complex) booked my wifes time slot into another Hilton hotel about 15 miles away. They phoned us a day before travel to inform us of the mix up and we had to change the day and time for the spa treatment. We were late by 20 mins and my wife had 20 mins cut from her treatment! They said they had no more slots available yet my wife purchased a slot for me one hour later!

The other issue WAS directly linked with the Hotel was the restaurant manager saying that the restaurant closes at 10pm but would not allow us to enter at 21:29pm. We had our dinner in the bar instead. The other staff were amazing Kristina at reception and the Manager, Mario was fantastic. He was not aware of the problem with the spa but he upgraded my booking when he heard it was an anniversary celebration

Breakfast selection was limited and not really what I would expect, with Heathrow only 25 miles away you wouldn't expect a mainly English breakfast selection

Dear SonnyCash

Thank you for posting a review on the hotel and for leaving positive comments.

In terms of the not so positive, please let me kindly assure you that comments will be looked at by colleagues with the view of making changes where possible, such issues are not at all indicative of the high service standards we usually demonstrate and I would offer our unreserved apologies.

I was also disappointed to read that you were unable to have your evening meal in the Larder Restaurant due to timings. It is possible to reserve a table upon checking in, this option is always available to you which I hope is useful when you next stay.

I was delighted to read that both Krisitna and Mario were able to leave a lasting impression on you, and I hope that you enjoyed your upgraded bedroom.

If I can assist you with any further matters I will be happy to help, please feel free to contact me on aimee.louiseash@hilton.com.

I remain for now with kind regards.
Westbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have used this hotel on several occasions, for overnight stays of our charity board. It is clinical and quiet. The food is ok, but nothing exceptional. It does the job and has fee wifi in the lobby.

Room Tip: Avoid the corridor to the fitness rooms and rooms by the lifts
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Nigel B

Thank you for posting a review on the hotel and for leaving positive comments.

I am delighted to read that you have chosen to return to the hotel several times.

Thank you for taking the time to offerfeedback. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Reading once again in the near future
blackburn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Just had an overnight stay at this very modern 4 star hotel. This is primarily a corporate hotel with all the relevant facilities. The bedrooms are smart spotless and very comfortable.The dining room is buffet style with good choices and staff on hand if assistance is required. The staff are polite. If you need anything just ask and your requests are fullfilled if at all possible. We travelled with omega holidays and were going to buckingham palace the day after no complaints from us.

Room Tip: high standards througout so you cant go wrong
Dear Gill W

Thank you for your review on Hilton Reading.

Your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read. I am delighted to see that our staff were able to accomdate all your requests and that you found them to be polite.

I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed your meals in our food and beverage outlets.

Oxfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Stay in this hotel regularly on business always great service immaculately clean good food cannot fault highly recommend! Close to town centre and madejski stadium and very useful for Green Park. Secure parking this would be my hotel of choice in the area after staying at a few others which do not compare to this.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Sungirl1974

Thank you for posting such a positive comment following your stay at the Hilton Reading.

We are pleased to see that your regular stays are pleasent look forward to another opportunity when we can welcome you back once more.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Well first of all I booked this hotel on a spa package was originally meant for 24th of August then I get a phone call off the hotel telling me they have over booked and I had to then rearrange it for the 14th of sept. I was told I would be getting a upgrade to deluxe room and v.i.p treatment. Well I did not get this. But I did not say anything as I was not going to waste my time sorting it out. So as I booked a spa weekend I thought I was going to go to a spa. But this was not the case. We had a very short uncomfortable "massage" in a old hotel room with a stereo playing some sort of relaxing music. This was probably the worst spa I have been to as I have been to many. The girls nails kept scratching my boyfriends back and my girl kept sniffling like she had a cold or something. It felt very short for a 25 minute treatment. But I have to admit the lady with the blonde hair in a bun at the front desk was very polite. The swimming pool was ok. Bit small and shallow. But the water was warm which I liked. The sauna and steam room was small but got quite busy. And some people do like to natter making it not so relaxing but that's not the hotels fault. Also the gym is decent on the small side but doesn't need to be huge as it is a hotel gym. Now the room was big but most definitely not a deluxe room which I thought I was going to get. The bathroom was nice a modern and I loved the shower. Most hotel showers are not the best. Bed was not a queen size and was quite hard and noisy. There was no noise I could hear from the hotel was very quiet ad peaceful. Now onto the restaurant. The evening meal was really nice. My compliments to the chef that cooked my dinner. I had smoked salmon ceaser salad. Then steak hand cut chips and boy do u get a lot. With tomato and mushroom. And also my sticky toffee pudding was so yummy. And breakfast was nice. I had the cooked variety bacon sasage hash browns tomatoes fried egg scrambled egg fried toast mushrooms beans tinned tomatoes all sorts as I don't like the cold meats and cheese and sauces they served and they also served or porridge or cereal and cakes and stuff but I had a crossaint. If I stayed longer I most likely wouldn't of eat the breakfast as I couldn't possibly eat that much every morning. The town is only a short drive away. It has lots of shops and restaurants to choose from. It's called the oracle. The hotel is very nice inside very big and spacious. But I do get what people have said before it's quite beige but that's a preference I liked it because I am a neutral colours kinda person. There is a car park underground which is
very good. The staff are not the most friendly or helpful. But there was a few that stood out. But I'm really sorry I can't remember there names to give appraise. Overall a good trip for what I paid 70pp to what I got but I wouldn't come back only because I'm not a person who returns to the same place twice.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear xCharlotteLillyx

Thank you for posting a review on the hotel and for leaving positive comments.

In terms of the the not so positive, I appreciate your honesty and kindly assure that your experience does not reflect the standards of service we aim to offer and I do hope you will give us another opportunity and that you will return to the hotel so we can show you we can do much better.

You can be certain your constructive criticism has been discussed with the relevant department to avoid any reoccurrence.

I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable meal in our Larder Restaurant. I have sent your comments onto our Head Chef, who will be extremely pleased to receive.

Aimee

Been to Hilton Reading? Share your experiences!