“Amazing food......lacklustre service” 3 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Carterton, United Kingdom
“Amazing food......lacklustre service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

If I were reviewing Mamma Mia Oxford on food alone it would get a 10/10! The food we ordered was delicious, it tasted traditional, the ingredients used were fresh and all of the dishes were well seasoned.
I ordered the avocado with prawns and my husband, the mozzarella with parma ham. I have to say I had "food envy" when I saw my husband's starter. It was twice the size of mine and the parma ham was of the highest quality. However, despite the 70s appearance of my starter the avocado was ripe and the prawns soft and juicy.
For my main course I ordered the salmon rigatoni - I wasn't disappointed! The pasta was cooked al dente and the generous chunks of fresh salmon and shreds of dill made the dish as pretty as a picture. The sauce was well-seasoned and I would definitely order this dish again. My husband ordered the beef cannelloni, which was rich, tasty and filling.
Sadly although the food was excellent the staff let the restaurant down a little. Although they were efficient and helpful, they did not engage with us as customers. They failed to say goodbye as we left and at one point the server actually tapped me on the shoulder to ask if I'd like another drink!
Overall excellent food, lacklustre service.

• Visited April 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

86% Recommend
Bicester, United Kingdom
“Awesome pizza at a good price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

We share 4 different pizza's and all of them were real good. Will go back many more times.

• Visited April 2011
UK
“Fabulous food reasonably priced with excellent staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

May need to book for the evening meal. Pizzas are freshly made and superb. Pasta also excellent.

• Visited March 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent, authentic food and a warm, friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

My guest and I were expecting the restaurant to be very quiet at 6.30pm on a Tuesday night but there was a steady flow of people. Friendly chatter against a well lit background and quiet easy listening music created a relaxing atmosphere. The friendly staff added to the feeling of being in a traditional Italian pizzeria. The food tasted authentic. We both followed beautiful antipasti with the kind of pizza one might expect in Italy rather than Oxford. The only small issues we faced was a limited choice of diet/light soft drinks and the pizza could have been hotter. But we won't let this put us off and will definitely return soon!

• Visited March 2011
London, United Kingdom
“Really good little Italian restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

The restaurant itself is very well decorated and has a very authentic Italian feel to it. I especially liked the Italian music playing in the background and the Italian style table clothes.

For starters we had the Ciabatta Bruschetta which was excellent and the Baked Goats Cheese, which again was really enjoyable. For mains I had a pizza which was well cooked and well presented and my guest had a prawn pasta dish. One criticism we did have was the prawns in this dish were served with their tails on and I would not have expected this in a restaurant. The Tiramisu that we had afterwards was also excellent and one of the best I have ever had.

The staff were very friendly and I noticed they were very child friendly even going as far as to sing Happy Birthday to one of the children on a table near us.

The toilets, although clean, did not have any working soap dispensers or hand dryers which made it quite awkward to dry your hands.

Overall, I really enjoyed the visit. The food and service was very good and the restaurant had a really good atmosphere.

• Visited February 2011