“Good atmosphere” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #179 of 483 restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dublin
“Good atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Ate here recently with two friends. Menu is very varied, and offers good value for money. Atmosphere in the main dining area is excellent. However we were seated toward the back in a sort of conservatory area, and it was very much on the chilly side. It also seems to be the area catering for big groups, and with the wooden floor proved very noisy! Service efficient and pleasant, except for one waiter who consistently shouted, and I do mean shouted, at the diners. A little over exuberant to say the least! Quality of fodd was reasonably okay. I had the beef bourgineon; big portion, beef was beautiful, but didn't like the potatoes. They offer a good value two course dinner for only £11.95 but of course limited choice.

Visited March 2013

57% Recommend
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Slow service, cold food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

A friend and I turned up at Cafe Rouge at about 9pm on Friday 22nd February 2013. We were told that there would be a 15 minute wait for food, which was fine by us. What we hadn't bargained for was that we would be sat there for 15 minutes, freezing cold by the door, with no menus and no one even came over to take a drinks order. It wasn't particularly busy, and the bar attendant just seemed to be polishing stuff. We eventually went to the bar to order drinks, at which point a waitress did then come over to take our food and drinks order. The food didn't take too long to arrive; however, my starter, and my friend's main course, were cold. I didn't complain at the time as the food was tasty, and I just wanted to eat and get out of there. The waitress was unfriendly and not apologetic about the service at all. I would avoid going back here if possible, especially on a weekend evening. I rarely feel compelled to write a review, especially a negative one, but I was just so surprised at the bad service here.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Wirral
“Evening Dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Staff were welcoming and pleasant. Gave us choice of tables and didn't rush us when selecting meal from a fairly extensive menu.
Food arrived piping hot, well cooked and tasty.Should mention in particular the Polish guy who waited on us - absolutely great service.

Visited February 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Couldn't fault it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Went on a Monday a few days ago and couldn't fault it at all. Service was quick and very good, food was what I always order when I go to Cafe Rough so knew what to expect and as always it was very nice. It's not the cheapest restaurant but also not the most expensive - overall a very good experience again. Will definitely visit again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“Great food, excellent service, amiable atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

If you are interested in an excellent meal (either lunch or dinner time) will colleagues or that `special someone' and you are in Oxford, this is a good bet. I have been going there for at least 10 years, and have never had a bad meal--and most of the time it is superb. The servers are knowledgeable and courteous. You will not be disappointed I think

• Visited February 2013