“Our favourite restaurant!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #265 of 473 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
“Our favourite restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Once again we had an outstanding time at Cafe Rouge Oxford. The food is always perfect - they do the best steaks and a great fish stew! We love the olives too. The service was fast and friendly as always - staff have good knowledge of the menu and give good advice on the food - they pay attention to you and make you feel special. The atmosphere is great - very relaxing and comfortable. We'll definitely be back soon!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Service terrible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I work for a large organisation very close to this restaurant and are always looking for someone to have a working lunch. We stopped going to Cafe Rouge about a year ago because of the slow services, but decided yesterday to give it another go. What mistake....
After being seated waited for 10 minutes, then had to go off and ask for a menu. Twenty minutes in, still hadn't had any drinks. We eventually got our food at 1:25, after having booked a table at 12:30.
So in short, if you need to lunch in an hour, avoid this place like the plague. And it's such a shame, because the food was lovely!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, United Kingdom
“VERY RELIABLE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We decided to visit Cafe Rouge on Saturday evening at relatively short notice. Our first choice, Cafe Rouge in Witney, was fully booked so we were fortunate to secure a table at the Oxford branch. Having not been here for a while I noticed that several of the staff were still here (I always find this gratifying) and they all worked together as a most efficient team. The restaurant was busy but everything flowed smoothly, the food was good and the service was excellent. We will certainly come here again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, England
“Comfortable interior, most else - average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I have a bit of trouble with TA's rating system, choosing "average" or the next rating: "very good" seems to leave something out in-between... like, "good", for example?

And, I don't under-estimate the concept of "average" as a rating. To me, average means "ok", "alright", that I experienced nothing that upset my sensitivities - and I am 'sensitive' when it comes to 'value for money'. So, an average rating is not a 'negative' rating as such, in my book.

But they could do better. Naturally, it is French-themed as a restaurant. I was having a late breakfast, and thought my scrambled egg (a basic dish, non?) looked a bit odd - but maybe it was in a French style?

My first bite of a sausage hit a small piece of gristle, which I tried not to let put me off. Everything else was 'ok', or 'alright'.

It came across to me that the staff were trying extra hard to please (I've eaten here infrequently, over the years - and they've not seemed so bothered before) and I was presented with some voucher or-other, at the end of the meal (which doesn't ever interest me). Yet - and this may be my prejudice regarding French waiters - I still couldn't help but feel that it was a strain for them to be "nice". They were polite and courteous, but I didn't feel any genuine warmth to their welcome and interaction.

But maybe that's not what you expect at a French restaurant(?).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Espoo, Finland
“Lunch offer was not worth it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Even though cheap, the lunch offer didn't satisfy. Starter bread was okay, as well as french cidre, but both mains tasted funny: quiche lorraine and sea food pasta were barely eatable. Hopefully dinner would be better..

Visited October 2012