“Lovely place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 483 restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Brasserie, Grill
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Description: A chic, cosmopolitan British restaurant bar and grill open from 9:30am all day every day serving great steak, fish dishes, classic burgers and more. Our menus change regularly with the season with our fixed price lunch menu changing weekly. We serve freshly prepared food with great British flavours in casual and relaxed surroundings. You'll find us in South Parade, a gorgeous little side road in Summertown, amongst trendy boutiques, galleries, wine bars and the North Wall Theatre. Come along for 'the best breakfast in town' from 9:30am 7 days a week and on Sundays come and enjoy a great selection of traditional roasts and superb sharing plates. Join us for Happy hour every week Monday to Friday from 5:30pm to 7pm when all cocktails and champagne are £5! Let us treat you to a great fixed price menu available for lunch and dinner Monday to Friday - just £9.95 For two courses and £12.95 For three courses. Our children's menu is available every day and we have child friendly facilities. We can cater for parties of up to 80 guests with menus to suit. An impressive upstairs private dining area is available for all of your special occasions. Guests also benefit from our restaurant car park. Feel free to drop in for a glass of wine, coffee or a sweet treat at the bar or on the terrace. Reservations are welcome for anytime.
“Lovely place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I visited back in June, it was a spontaneous visit and it turned out to be a great one!

The food and drinks were of great quality and the service was second to none.overall a great experience. We will definitely be back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Brisbane, Australia
“Enjoyable family meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family and I enjoyed our experience at this restaurant very much. We were welcomed by friendly staff as soon as we entered the restaurant and shown to our table. The team members were very helpful and assisted us quickly through out the whole meal. I had the cod which was the special of the day and it was very tender and juicy. My husband had the pork belly which was cooked well and had great flavour. The children's meals came with lots of selections and they were very happy with their meals. The desert was very rich but went well with my coffee. My daughters enjoyed their banana splits and ice cream. The service I received today was very efficient and friendly and the atmosphere of the restaurant was very relaxing as it was not to busy on the night of our visit, I would recommend this restaurant to anybody who is after a high quality meal in an enjoyable setting.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Inattentive service, overpriced food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

When you spend £100 between 3 and a half people at an Oxford restaurant, you expect to be somewhat wowed. The reality fell some way short.
Service was below par. Took a long time to get any of the staff's attention - you would have thought the waitress stood at the table next to us enjoying a chat with her friend for 10 minutes might have noticed my raised arm during the whole time to request for the second time some sauce to accompany my son's sausages. It wouldn't have even mattered if I'd shouted at the top of my voice - the noise inside the place was deafening even with the patio doors open that we were unable to enjoy any decent conversation and spent most of the time sweltering on an exceptionally warm summer's evening.
If the food had been at the £8 starter £17 main level I might not have minded but it was distinctly average. The starter of dressed crab + courgette was decent but provided you have a quality supplier for the dressed crab this is not rocket science. The main though was a big let down. The hake was clearly quite fresh but as a white fish it needed something more robust or oily to accompany it. Unfortunately the lentils were bland and lacked any richness whilst I would have needed an electron microscope to identify the chorizo that was supposed to accompany the dish. Then finally the dessert. To me a "fool" should be a light dish where the taste of the fruit is the most identifiable flavour, but their version of summer berry fool tasted more like a packet of ready-made Birds eye custard had been poured on a bunch of fruit and then left in the fridge for a day, leaving a cold stodgy experience much like you'd see on the dessert counter at any school canteen around 1.45pm.
Anyway, suffice to say, another mediocre Oxford dining experience at London prices which left me wishing I'd just gone to Mamma Mia next door and had a simple but tasty pizza at a reasonable price. The Anchor can't come back soon enough. In the meantime, the Summertown elite are better off rubbing shoulders with the great unwashed over in the People's Republic of East Oxford where quality food can be enjoyed at establishments like the Magdalen Arms, Fishers, and Oxfork.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Always a good choice for a spontaneous meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Never really have a bad meal in this place and pricing is what you would expect from this type of restaurant. If you have a large group you will sometimes need to book depending on the time and day and there can be a bit of a wait if you have ordered in a large group, but not too bad.

Visited June 2013
Charlbury, United Kingdom
“Good food but an uneven experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

The hake and the spinach cakes were nice and the asparagus starter was perfection itself. The chocolate torte was less chocolatey than I'd expect. The real let-down was the service: our waitress vanished from the scene after bringing our main courses and getting any attention from the one remaining waitress proved quite a challenge. Meanwhile as the restaurant got emptier the music got louder. We left a very small tip and explained why to the barman (couldn't pay the waitress as she had disappeared).

• Visited June 2013