“Excellent meal, great little place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 493 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Special occasions
Birmingham, England
“Excellent meal, great little place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went for a meal here whilst stopping at the Malmaison.

I found the restaurant through trip advisor and I'm glad we chose to eat here.

I booked a table and I'm glad I did as at 7pm the place was full.

The atmosphere was very nice and the staff very friendly.

We ordered the pate to share which was very nice and plenty for 2.

We both ordered the fillet steak as main, mine with fries my wife's with big chips along with the pepper sauce.

We were both highly impressed with the meal.

I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough.

It is a 5 minute walk from the main square in Oxford but well worth it.

Also worth noting the cocktail bar next door do some cracking pre meal drinks.

Visited July 2014

Syracuse, Italy
“Good in a city that does not stand-out for foodies”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Oxford as a city is far away from being a paradise for foodies, as the UK is. This restaurant is definitely not bad in this context, but don't expect something special:

Service: very efficient but impersonal.
Atmosphere: more for a group that a couple.
Food: good for the price but not as you can think of French recipes.

We ordered:

Starters: duck, ham, tuna - all of them a bit tasteless.
Main dish: pork in apricot sauce - very tender and tasty.

It is an average restaurant but regarded as good one when comparing with others.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Loughborough, England, United Kingdom
“Compares well with competition”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

A visit to Oxford 25/26 June 2014 provided an opportunity to experience two French orientated restaurants on consecutive evenings. The first was Cafe Rouge and, almost adjacent, Pierre Victoire. Cafe Rouge offered plenty of room, choice of tables, interesting menu and a reasonable wine list. The two course meal & bottle of French Sauvignon Bllanc wine was fine and the price at £40 for one was quite acceptable.
Pierre Victoire Bistro was full that night but a table was available the next night which made a comparison possible. Privately owned and managed, very busy, more intimate atmosphere and a menu with some more original choices was the first impression. Service was comparable and moule mariniere & loup de mer au fenouil (sea bass) was ordered. The meal was excellent and accompanied by a bottle of NZ Sauv Blanc - not available next door.
The price was about 10% more at £44 and seemed well justified - in addition, under their Prix Fixe, desert/fromages was free. So.... draw your own conclusion. If PV is full, you'll have a good meal in the less crowded Cafe Rouge. But if you want something more memorable, book ahead at the Bistro.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Abingdon, Oxford, England, United Kingdom
“Superb.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I organised a surprise meal with family and friends to celebrate my Mum's 50th Birthday, there were 15 of us in total. I cannot praise the staff at Pierre Victoire enough for all their efforts. After much communication with the team before the event, the evening was perfect. We pre-ordered our food in order to save time on the night and the food was delivered promptly with no hiccups. Plus it was all delicious! The waiting staff were very polite, helpful, funny and friendly and we wanted for nothing. I had requested for a lot of little extra's and nothing was too much for them to do. You played a huge part in making my Mum's Birthday celebrations a success so thank you to all very much, and we shall all be returning more often!

I would most certainly recommend this place to everyone - Fantastic service, a broad menu, delicious food all in a lovely relaxing but vibrant setting. See you soon!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
“A Good Birthday Meal with Family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We haven't been here for a while and the service now is excellent, never intrusive, courteous, good humoured and efficient, despite being so busy. It was hot but the restaurant was airy, and our table near to the window. I can thoroughly recomment the Assiette au Pecheur, and the swordfish tartare with this is fabulous.The rest of the meal was tasty, and the wine list very much to our liking.
My only problem is with the stairs, but this is an old location near the centre of Oxford, and there's little that can be done to remedy this. Glad to know that it's culinary excellence is still on point. Go, you won't be disappointed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere