“Lovely place” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Large groups, Special occasions
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lovely place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We always enjoy a visit to PV. The atmosphere is authentic and relaxed, the staff friendly and the food reliable. Sunday lunch is cheap and very nicely done.

Visited October 2013

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had the most wonderful meal here last night.

We booked by chance as a hark back to my University days in Edinburgh as we took our son to Oxford University the next day. The Oxford PV experience far outweighed any we had previously in Edinburgh.

Not part of the original franchise, the welcome was genuine, warm and very French. The maitre d' was gorgeous, she immediately spotted Charlie and Jim spoke French and Sara and I may struggle a little. And the warmth was equally shared with those who had booked and looking forward to dining as with those who were unfortunate to pop in on the off chance, only to be told the restaurant was full.

The service is attentive and efficient. Authentic bread and water, paris goblets (we should really use them at home and enjoy our wine more!) and fab decor.

The menu was the only negative.....SO much to chose from. It made the decision so hard.

Celeriac side with our rabbit and black pudding terrine brought back lovely memories of holidays in France for Jim and I. Sara's steak was perfect, Charlie devoured his rabbit, Jim loved his pork belly and my mussels were delicious and perfectly cooked. Scottish mussels are a bit beefier but can't complain!

Thank you so much for a wonderful dinner. A firm fixture over the next 3 years while Charlie is in Oxford. Thank you

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oxford. England
“France without the travelling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I have visited this restaurant many times and I'm always delighted to be 'hit' by the superb atmosphere on entering the restaurant. The food is always excellent and the staff charming and attentive without being pushy. No matter what time of day - lunch, early supper, dinner, late supper - this restaurant always excels in every respect, even when asking one to leave when overstaying an early supper (executed with a very light touch, charm and diplomacy). I can't speak highly enough about this place and the food. My favourite restaurant in Oxford and surrounding villages.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Reliably excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Pierre Victoire never lets you down. The food is unfailingly good, often excellent. The menus are reasonably priced and the service is usually fairly fast and attentive. I have been here many, many times, most recently last week and I have never had a bad experience. They particularly excel in the meatie department, although I have also had some truly delicious moules there. The only thing I would say is that I have been several times with vegetarians and they have had rather a raw deal. I think the problem is that the French still do not really value this form of cuisine - a shame, as if they really set their mind to it I'm sure they woul excel.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oxfordshire
“Superb lunch at a bargain price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Called in here on a Tuesday for lunch and were staggered to see how busy it was. They found us a table for 2 no problem but next time we might book. We could not fault the food, the choice or the service and £10.90 for a 3 course lunch of such quality was amazing value in Oxford. We will certainly be back.

Visited October 2013