“Always good” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Chicago, Illinois
“Always good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We pop in here on regular but rare occasions.
We tend to have the cheap set menu, which is limited choice, but very good value and always very nice. I pick this menu as the portions are smaller, and the choice more limited.
But I have never been disappointed by what has been served up.
Always looks good, and has a professional edge to all aspects.
As an extra, Raymond B, has been spotted a few times, eating steak and chips.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
UK
“Some good, some bad, some smug!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

There was quite a bit to like. I had mussels to start and mutton for the main. The mussels were pretty good (but then it is hard to go wrong) and the mutton tasted nice. My companion had the cheese soufflé to start which she liked, but my taste of it came across as bland, she then had the mussels for the main course. That's when we began to notice the problems: her portion of mussels was exactly the same size as my starter portion, but for twice the price (with only the addition of a small portion of rather unexciting fries). Accompanying my mutton was creamy mash which was lovely and smooth and stone cold. We had a carafe of white wine, with no way of keeping it cold. The main issue was the service. I know that the stereotype of a French brasserie includes the snooty waiter, but ours was probably trying too hard to fulfil this role: he took every opportunity to look down his nose at us and make us feel uncomfortable and definitely lost the venue one notch on the rating.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
PORTSMOUTH, ENGLAND
“CAN'T FAULT THIS FINE RESTAURANT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Lovely restaurant. Excellent food, terrific service, great decor and atmosphere. Sunday roast beef a recommendation ! Not the cheapest in town but worth every penny.
Make sure you book - very popular restaurant. Deserts - some of the best I have seen

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sutton Coldfield, England, United Kingdom
“Yummy Chateaubriand!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Loved it all! The chateaubriand cooked to perfection and our waitress Petra, was lovely and did an excellent job!

Visited November 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Charging high prices on the back of a name”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Went here with a group of 13 for a friend's birthday and I don't think I have ever been so disappointed by a restaurant meal. We decided to go and have the £14 2-course set menu as it seemed like good value but this was so uninspiring that we all ended up ordering from the main menu which also wasn't very exciting.

For a starter I had the cheese pot, which at £7.30 I expected was going to be a fairly decent size. However, what arrived was around 50ml of melted cheese in a pot and 2 pieces of sour dough bread presented on a paper doily. For main course, I had a burger (a testament to how dull the menu was) which was much worse than anything you would get in GBK/Byron burger. The bread was dry and the burger was supposed to be coarse cut and cooked rare but was not moist at all. The chips were fine. A couple of friends had the salmon which was presented in a most bizarre way, a salmon fillet which the menu said came with a choron sauce. One would expect this sauce to be warm and poured over the salmon. But instead the salmon was presented on a slate (just like the burger) with a small pot of this cold choron sauce. Overall the rest of the food was just distinctly average and not at all worth the price.

Finally, I found the service to really be quite unfriendly. Jugs of water were plonked on the tables and they were not very polite. As someone who has worked as a waiter for several years myself I find it incomprehensible how waiting staff can be so poor in a fairly upmarket restaurant. To top this off, a compulsory 12.5% service charge was added (which came to around £30). I can just about understand adding a service charge of 10% to large tables (not that we ever did this in my restaurant) as I'm aware that they can sometimes not tip. However, that extra 2.5% is just taking the mick. That service and food did not warrant a £30 tip.

Go to Pierre Victoire instead. Better value, more interesting menu, better staff, and much better food.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere