“A take-away dinner from Waitrose would have been better” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 498 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: French
London, United Kingdom
“A take-away dinner from Waitrose would have been better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

My wife and I have enjoyed eating at Brasserie Blanc in the past. On one memorable occasion the great man himself came to our table and patronised us for patronising him. But this time it all seemed to have unravelled. The waiters were less attentive, the wine was ordinaire and the food was really mediocre. Something has gone badly wrong in the kitchen. Next time in Oxford we will find somewhere else.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
BrasserieBlancOxford, General Manager at Brasserie Blanc, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Dear Colour-Professor,

Thank you for your review.

In the past 3 years we have worked very hard on maintaining a consistant level of excellent service and food. We clearly failed to deliver this to you on all levels. Eventhough Waitrose does offer great 'supermarket' food I am very shocked to read your headline.We make everything fresh on site evry day and do take pride in not re-heating any of our foods.

Please rest assured that it gives me no pleasure to read that and most importantly I must stress that our waiters are highly trained and only the best are recruited. Of course, I will take your comments on board and a meeting will be held to convey your opinion to my team as this is not the impression we want to give at all.

You should have not left us feeling so disappointed and We would have very much welcomed this sort of feedback on the day post your meal as a Manager is always on site to listen to guest's feedback. We clearly served a sub standard meal which is completely unacceptable.

I will be contacting you via personal e-mail to obtain more details from you so we can restore your faith in us.

London
“Dissapointed x 9”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I went here for lunch with colleagues on a team day and unfortunatley none of us were particularly impressed. The staff and presentation of the food was excellent, however, the food was average. I think we all expected too much and it should have been a lovely experience but we wouldn't return. A colleague had the pasta which was very dry and uninteresting. We even got one of the chocolate souffles deducted from the bill as it was particularly dry.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear Passenger 101,

Thank you very much for your review and feedback.

I am very saddened that you left us feeling so disappointed. It is quite frustrating that we were not able to rectify this on the day with you as we would have done anything for you to leave us with a memeorable experience.

I will be contacting you via personal e-mail to obtain more details from you.

Old Tappan, NJ
“I wanted to like it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Brasserie Blanc in Oxford was highly recommended by Frommers. After finally tracking it down , my husband and I were hoping to like it.. The restaurant is very pleasant, and the service is excellent. Unfortunately, the food is not what we hoped for. I ordered boeuf borguignon. It was tasty, but the beef was so tough that I could hardly chew it.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear Harriette7,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyes the level of service you received. However, the slow cooked beef should never have been dry all. I have passed on your comments to our kitchen team and the recipe will be revised. It is one of our most popular dishes.

The dish was clearly sub standard to you which is completely unacceptable for which I must sincerely apologise to you.

I will be contacting you via personal e-mail to obtain more details.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“First Class form start to finish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Had a wonderful meal, with attentitive service, lovely wine and well priced, delicious and well presented food.

Absolutely gobsmacked that someone can accuse them of food poisioning without going through all the facts relating to their whole day or what they had eaten in the last 24hrs (might have cooked for themselves, picked a virus or have poor pesonal hygiene, who knows)

Great response from the management team,

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Attentive service, food a bit mixed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

Very mixed feelings about this restaurant, but overall a good eating experience. Beef stroganoff was best ever; but frites very overcooked; blue cheese souffle was excellent; squid starter - not much squid, and ditto for the mackerel starter - just one very small fillet; steak ordered rare came medium; lamb ordered medium came pink; chocolate fondant for 2 was absolutely lovely; apricot souffle very good but took 15 mins to arrive. Service was attendant - not too intrusive. It was a 60th birthday dinner, for just 4 of us, but the person booking had let this slip, and they brought complimentary champagne with the dessert, which was a very pleasant surprise. Also - delightful mint tea. this was our second time there, and overall I would go definitely back.

• Visited August 2011