“Excellent lebenese cuisine at basement prices” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Lebanese
Good for: Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
York
“Excellent lebenese cuisine at basement prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The Observer listed this as one of their Top 30 UK places to eat for £10. We spent an astronomical £14 each at this place and had 9 different dishes !!!

This spacious Lebanese favourite of Oxford town and gown gets stupidly busy later post 8pm but my advice is go early and fill your boots ! It opens all day from midday and the food is simple, full of flavour with a vast choice including a significantly large range of vegetarian dishes.

There are over 40 hot & cold starters and the best idea is to order a few and share. For "Mains" we opted for a selection of skewered meats from the charcoal grill and a particularly tasty cod fillet in hot sesame sauce.

Delicious, fresh, affordable, highly recommended...

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
Kidlington, United Kingdom
“Lovely anniversary meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife & I visited Al Shami for our anniversary on the 17th of August, though a week late. We didn’t know what to order as we hadn’t been here for some years. We decided to go for the set menu of £15 per person meze. This is mainly vegetarian but there is some meat. The food was well presented & tasted delicious. I think it must have been what we had before. Why we took so long to go back I don’t know. I did book as it was worth it as it can get busy. We must go back sometime but we won’t leave it so long. The total bill was just over £50 with a bottle of wine & a beer & water.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Beautiful food: perfect for sharing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We went here last night as the start of a chilled evening out.

Incredibly impressed with the array of dishes and the freshness and taste of the food was stunning.

We order lots of plates of Mezzes and shared; highlights were the fillet of beef, the Armenian sausages, the potatoes & feta salad!

Will definately be going back here, it's a hidden gem of Oxford!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, United Kingdom
“One of the worst service experiences ever (and below-average food)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This is one of the worst places I have ever been to. The service was horrible, more about that in a second, and the food was, well, just edible, but really nothing special (partially burnt) and I have eaten far better Falafel and Tabouleh from take-away stalls. My main dish was simply grilled pepper, potatoes and onions (small portion) without much seasoning, only some sprinkles of yoghurt sauce on top.

But regarding the service, it could hardly have been worse - we went there in a small group, some of which ordered many dishes together, while I ordered two vegetarian dishes. The side dish arrived after ten minutes, but the main dish wasn't there after an hour, so I asked for it. The waiter replied that they've run out of it, and that I should choose something else. I said that it would have been nice had he told me a bit earlier (most people had finished eating already, but apparently none of the waiters noticed or cared I still hadn't gotten my food), to which he replied "We have other tables as well" and went away. The first, more expensive dish appeared on the bill, so I went to have that changed. The waiter's reply was "It's the same price anyway, but I get you a new bill", with the lower price, though, as if he expected me not to notice. And when he didn't have change, he simply went away without giving me the two pounds I would have been entitled to. Incredibly bad "service", if you can still call it like that at all.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good food and decor but very poor service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

Six of us went there on a Thursday evening and the place was very busy.
Even though we had a reservation we stood waiting in the door way for almost 30 mins.
We asked for drinks while we were standing around and after 15 mins one of us got a drink even though all of us had ordered it.
Once we were seated we had to waiting another 20 mins or so before one of us went and got the waiter so we could at least order drinks.
There were only 3 waiters for the entire restaurant which is spread over two rooms.
The food itself was very good with good variety as was the atmosphere and decor. This was all completely let down by the very poor service.
The waiters were polite enough just not enough staff.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere